jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (13 posts)

Random Popup Windows When Clicking Buttons or Links on HP

1. Daughter Of Maat profile image96
    Daughter Of Maatposted 4 years ago

No matter where I go, whether it be the forums, the feed, or my stats page (among others) I'll get a popup window like this:

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6918422_f248.jpg

or this

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6918425_f248.jpg

I've scanned my hard drive and my virus software found nothing. Anyone else getting this?

2. paradigmsearch profile image89
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

In my opinion, virus security software is crap. People think they're protected, but they're not. I hope you didn't click on any of the buttons...

First, see if you haven't been blocked from Microsoft Updates by virus/malware. If not, go there and get all the latest updates. Then reboot.

Next, go to cnet. Install all the most popular different virus/malware security software there. As I said, all security software is crap, but hopefully one of them will be able to deal with your particular issue.

3. paradigmsearch profile image89
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

And third, I've gotten the distinct impression that Google Chrome is the best browser for blocking more of the  evilness than the other browsers do.

4. Daughter Of Maat profile image96

The thing is, it ONLY happens on hubpages. If it was a virus or other malware, it would happen with all websites. It's just HP.

1. jacharless profile image80
      jacharlessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

This is an exploit using malware as a diversion.
      If the one I am familiar with, Black Hole, which results in tons of Spam comments, javascript alterations, malware ads, etc. Looks like the exploit is still there, generating pop-ups/warnings. I mentioned this Cagsil the other day, when the site kept having javascript issues, then HP yeldbuild server going on-offline for about an hour -and his browser showing malware alerts.

It is a pain to find all or even where the exploit took place and clean the files.
      If you can, turn on your browsers Private Browsing tool, and block the cookie.

James

Daughter Of Maatposted 4 years ago in reply to this

That makes more sense, thank you. I'll do that now and see what happens.

Thanks again!

5. brakel2 profile image85
    brakel2posted 4 years ago via iphone

Do you have Hp as a trusted site on your computer and set to accept cookies?  It may be your settings.

6. brakel2 profile image85

James sounds more knowledeable

Daughter Of Maatposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I did what James suggested, and so far I haven't gotten a popup again. I'm also rescanning my entire hard drive for any malware stuff to see if it can find the cookie causing the problem. Cross your fingers!

1. jacharless profile image80
        jacharlessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Be sure to remove all cookies and clean the cache, to be on the safe(r) side.
        Hope it helps!

2. paradigmsearch profile image89
      paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Paradigmsearch slinks away...

big_smile

7. brakel2 profile image85

The best virus software is Windows Security Essentials. What do you think Paradigm?

8. Daughter Of Maat profile image96

I did do that actually, I was very proud of myself for remembering that since I'd forget my head if it wasn't attached. So far so good. Thank you for you help, I greatly appreciate it!

working