Lets Ban Poetry!

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 50 discussions (169 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Matthew Kirkposted 11 years ago

The following poems are examples of the droll and somehow dramatic poetry titles I see everyday on Hubpages and it makes me cringe every time I log on:

"The winding paths of life"
    "Time going by on the winding paths of life"
    "Love on a Sandy Beach"
    "A poem about time going by whilst in love on a Sandy Beach"
    "Hurt in the Darkness"
    "Hurt in a Darkness of love on a Sandy Beach as time goes by"

You get the point. The only reason I want it banned from HP is because it makes me personally sick, and because none of it is exactly Keats now is it, it is all very dramatic.

My question is; do we really want to know all of this personal stuff about people we don't know through the medium of poetry? Do people really think that they will gain organic views from this and make money? Or (as I suspect) is it just a cry out for attention by those of us who are a little bit confused about their own talents in a similar style to the 'joke' acts on X-factor or Amercian Idol who think they are the next mariah carey, just on a smaller stage?

What are your views on this?

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

When the poetry folks discover this thread, you are doomed! lol

btw, I've written 2 poetry adventures myself. I get zero traffic from them of course, but they are still my 2 favorite pet hubs. big_smile

1. profile image0
        Matthew Kirkposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I believe you might be right paradigmsearch!

You've got some good technical hubs there, maybe the poetry is just a phase for you?

Sometimes I get tired of always pursuing the almighty dollar. So, once in awhile, I write just for the sheer fun of it. I've also written 2 very, very short stories. You know what...? I'm going to go spam twitter. big_smile

1. profile image0

Whats your twitter tag thing?

2. Patty Kenyon profile image70
      Patty Kenyonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am newer to HubPages and write many different genres...tutorials, advice, food for thought, and yes the almighty Poetry...LOL

I don't pretend to be Keats.  It's not all about the type of titles your listed; my  friends challenge me to write on many different subjects and then I post on HubPages...including one I titled Ravages of War.
      http://pattykenyon.hubpages.com/_a8a1ed … ges-of-War

It is not always about the money!!! smile

1. rmcrayne profile image89
        rmcrayneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Typing the title of a hub in a thread is iffy, but you can usually get by with it.  Posting a link to a hub is definitely frowned on, and will usually be snipped.  I often wish it were different, but rules are rules.

1. Patty Kenyon profile image70

rmcrayne, I am truly sorry and I honestly was unaware!!  Is there a way I can remove it?

1. rmcrayne profile image89

Yes, I realized you are new.  Most of the time moderators will snip the links.  Guess they missed yours and Jade's.  I'd probably let well enough alone.  You could however contact the team, team@hubpages.com, apologize, and ask for them to remove the link/s.

I did send a message to the team@ hubpages.  In just a few moments, you will be receiving what I did send to the HubPages team.

I honestly did not mean to do wrong and will not do it again.

Thank-you for pointing this out to me.

3. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
      schoolgirlforrealposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't know, for some like me I guess, poetry is very healing whether it's great or not he he...oh well!!!
      I don't make any money from mine, but I love expressing myself about passion love anger etc.

smile no offense taken!! lol

4. Cardisa profile image87
      Cardisaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@Matthew, yes people want to read other's personal stuff and I say don't read it if it makes you sick. Why should poetry be banned because it makes you personally sick?

5. profile image0

BLURRRRGH! Sorry I just involuntarily threw up. After seeing another example of what I am talking about, I see at least two a day.

Never mind. I shall have to heave through.

1. Pearldiver profile image68
        Pearldiverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Awwww man...... You seriously need to get something for your loose vowels!  sad

1. Joy56 profile image67
          Joy56posted 11 years agoin reply to this

always a pleasure to see Pearldiver in town      You da man.......................

6. Dale Hyde profile image79
      Dale Hydeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I write poetry and have published here. It is sort of offensive, if you will, that because you don't like it, you want it banned.   There is a simple solution.....you don't like something, stop viewing and reading it.

2. Dame Scribe profile image58
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

I love Poetry  and wouldn't want it banned at all smile it's about writing eloquently to 'express' one's emotions  or experience. It's a art form and should be allowed it's own space. True, it's not always appreciated and not sure why attacking Poets should be a consideration tongue there are many styles of poetry and definitely don't think anybody should have the same styles. That would be boring tongue

3. Haunty profile image74
    Hauntyposted 11 years ago

Unoriginal thread.

1. profile image0

I had no idea it was

So lots of people think the poetry on here should be banned?

1. Haunty profile image74
        Hauntyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, I know there was this other thread.

Anyway, I completely agree. Poetry should be banned. If recipes can't be.

1. profile image0

It is a bit different, as this one isn't saying the poets are total codswallop and I am, he is concerned about google, I am concerned about my own wellbeing. And am wondering how many others feel this way and also wondering why people feel the need to blight my computer screen.

You are so, so doomed... lol lol lol

1. profile image0

This may be the case... I have done it before regarding recipe hubs, I don't see any reason why I shouldn't state the blindingly obvious, we all must think what I've just said every time we log on: "the shades of my unbending mind" - What happened to a larks song, you know something no quite so cliche.

WHAT!?! You don't like my 2 recipe hubs either!?! I actually get some traffic and a click once in awhile with those.

And, btw... You have now gotten Paul E.'s attention... big_smile

1. profile image0

Who is Paul E?

To be fair, the turkey one and the chilli one are really useful, things like that with ratio's is what people remember! Better than most!

Thanks! smile

2. paradigmsearch profile image61

You are so, so, so doomed... lol lol lol lol lol

http://pauledmondson.hubpages.com/

2. Lisa HW profile image61
          Lisa HWposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh... That thread - the one that has "separate" spelled incorrectly but that worries about what people are going to think about HubPages.  hmm  (Sorry...  That "Seperate" has been irking me for days now.   lol   )

1. profile image0

Well you've stitched them right up now, so well done!

4. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 11 years ago

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6928695_f248.jpg

1. profile image0
      Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh, GAWD!  What is this, SmartAndFun???  Never mind.  I AM LMAO!!!

5. profile image0
    Jade0215posted 11 years ago

I tend to agree with you with the poem thing. I hate the types of poem such as you listed, they're boring and they get annoying to read all the time so I just skip those. I don't think they should be banned though because that is some people's way of expressing themselves. I've written three myself, but not your typical poems, Red Riding Hood, Hello My Prince and Be Careful, Snow White and they've honestly received more views than half of my hubs maybe even more. It depends how they're written and what your poem is about. But the typical, beach, wind path stuff I can't stand.

You write poems that actually get traffic!?! I want to be your friend! big_smile

1. profile image0
        Jade0215posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I know right! I was literally shocked that they've brought in the amount of views that they have. I don't mind it, I kinda like being one of the only people getting views for it! smile

2. profile image0

I will put some time aside to have a look jade, but not a great lover of poetry either way, if they don't make me cringe though then that will be a step forward.

1. profile image0

Lol okay let me know then.

1. profile image0

Hi Jade

Sorry but I can't tell whether they're poems or outbursts... sounds like you've been through a lot with your life though.

One thing I did notice is that your croque monsieur recipe is an excellent one. Seen bits of it before in cookbooks which is a good sign, suprises me how traditional the recipe you use is and that you make everything traditionally. More of those!

1. profile image0

What do you mean outbursts? They're poems of traditional tales... Cinderella, Snow White, Little Red Riding Hood. It has nothing to do with my life at all hmm

1. profile image0

Oh I didn't see them? Can you link?

1. profile image0

<link snipped>
                <link snipped>
                <link snipped>

1. profile image0

Maybe I'm a grinch, but it doesn't do anything for me sorry. What is infinitely worse though are the nauseating comments from the oh so happy no matter what, yet dear to my black heart hubpages communtiy.

1. profile image0

You have pretty face though and tasty looking cooking skills wink

2. profile image0

Oh well, that's fine. Other people like it, that's all that matters to me.

2. rmcrayne profile image89

As paradigmsearch alluded to, posting links is not allowed (except in Extreme Hub Makeover).  Moderaters will usually snip for self promotion.

6. recommend1 profile image61
    recommend1posted 11 years ago

I have another persona here through which I put up poetry - it attracts good numbers constantly.

However, I agree with the OP that most of the stuff here is totally cringeworthy emotional gutspill with very little claim to being poetry.

And before the freedom of rhyme and cliche gang start up , I have said this many times before and have the scars to prove it.

Pitchforks are being gathered... lol

2. profile image0

I've not seen many of these pitchforks yet! Just people who agree that any poem entitled 'Poem to my long lost puppy, where are you rex?' should be left well alone.

lol lol lol

7. Len Cannon profile image88
    Len Cannonposted 11 years ago

I don't know what effect it has on the site, but I find it very interesting how HubPage's has evolved such a vibrant poetry writing community. The site tools aren't really ideal for it though...

1. profile image0

I take that as agreement; ban it on hp but make them their own little place to go.

8. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Well, well... Speaking of poetry.... Today's HP blog post: http://blog.hubpages.com/2012/07/aevans/

9. Green Bard profile image72
    Green Bardposted 11 years ago

I write poetry and songs but I have to admit I don't enjoy reading it much!

1. profile image0

You only have one hub! You don't publish the poems on here? That is allowed.

10. JBrumett profile image61
    JBrumettposted 11 years ago

Heh, every day I log on here and see some thread saying people shouldn't be allowed to do something.  These people are adults, AND I'm assuming you're an adult as well.  That being said, as an adult you should know you can't tell other people what to do.  This isn't your site, we're all guests here.  Get over it.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+1  Why is it that some folks just have to meddle in what others do?

PS - your avatar set me back a little - I paid little attention until it snapped into focus - it's BSU! I, my son, daughter-in-law and wife have all spent time in those halls.

Love their football team and have for years.  Yay coach Pete!

1. JBrumett profile image61
        JBrumettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I grew-up watching them play since the days of Skip Hall.  =-P

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not I - I was never much interested until my son started school there about 8 years ago.  He was a fan and got me interested - now it's every game.

It's a small world - I didn't think anyone else had even heard of BSU up until a couple of years ago.

2. profile image0

-1 I vote that hubpages should be a meritocracy. And I should be the sole judge of that merit, turning it into a dictocracy? A centre left dictocracy where everyone is encouraged to explore their feelings, but be confined to the comforts of their own minds in doing so.

11. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 11 years ago

even if I am not a poet, my poetry hubs have decent views!

It's beginning to look like mine are the only poetic endeavours that don't get any traffic around here... lol

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
        prettydarkhorseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I will read them, don't worry! smile

Careful, exploring the mind of paradigmsearch can be dangerous. Besides, HP has wisely got them well hidden.

I don't see poems only binary, mathematical and zodiac signs plus some humors. You are scientific, LOL!

I told you HP hid them well. They're there though. I know cause I inflicted them on my twitter followers earlier.

ok smile

I'd like to give you the links, titles, or even just some hints. But that is just too dangerous to do around here these days. You shall have to remain forever deprived. big_smile

1. profile image0

Come on paradigmsearch, hand out the poems, I need something to help me sleep tonight tongue

2. prettydarkhorse profile image62

Or I shall have to scour all your hubs wink C'mon post them here, I don't think it is promoting!

12. WD Curry 111 profile image57
    WD Curry 111posted 11 years ago

I would rather ban recipe hubs. The internet is constipated with recipes.

13. chitradileep profile image60
    chitradileepposted 11 years ago

As you said, these kind of stuffs are irritating but there are creative talented people as well, who might be making money out of it. Therefore I don't think we have to ban poetry. Instead what we can do is when meaningless, dramatic poems are posted, we should comment our genuine views. I think when a person gets at least 10 sad comments, he/she will refrain from doing it or will at least try to improve the next time.
    Let the real poets grow.

14. profile image0
    Matthew Kirkposted 11 years ago

not a bad idea, this will come across as rude though and people don't tend to like it. Also HP community is way to nicey nice to do this

15. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 11 years ago

Some of the poetry here is of the cathartic type. An on-line search for the word cathartic reveals two definitions one is an adjective the other a noun. smile  Not all cathartic poetry is bad, but too much of anything tends to cause problems. 

I believe that poetry requires a level of discipline and the willingness to edit, delete, remove and destroy your own words if necessary.  Ideally separating the chaff from the wheat should be done by the poet.

I guess it is about time I did another bout of that. 

As an after thought, if poetry and recipes are so detrimental to HubPages why did they run poetry and recipe competitions in the past? That surely encouraged mass postings of both at the time they were running. I do not think they would have run competitions on subjects that worked against them.

16. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 11 years ago

Here's a suggestion for Matthew Kirk - if you don't like poetry don't read it.

1. Alastar Packer profile image71
      Alastar Packerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's some great advice Cynthia. There are some A-class poets on HP, and then there are those who are decent poetry writers improving their chops. And yes, some few aren't very good and perhaps should practice on a blog for awhile until their craft improves.

1. recommend1 profile image61
        recommend1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately, it is not some few who are not very good, the majority of poetry on HP is really bad - having said that, they seem to get the same traffic as the good stuff big_smile

1. Alastar Packer profile image71
          Alastar Packerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

One person's junk poem could be another's treasure verse. Technically a poetry expert could pass judgement on a professional basis. And this being a social and writing site its no surprise about the equal traffic if that's the case..

2. profile image0

Suggestion for CMHypno - if you dole out the same piece of advice on every one of my forums you should stop posting...

Also take the 'n' out of your name, it will be a more accurate reflection... OH NO I DIDN'T!

17. silverstararrow profile image75
    silverstararrowposted 11 years ago

I usually plan to write a really long, informative hub about any one of the thousands of topics in my head, but usually fail to follow through. A busy schedule with packed hours hardly spares me the time to sit down and do research. I await the day when I'll truly be a non-fiction contributor to this community. Poetry comes naturally, though with little background work needed.

Having said that, every type of hub written on HP has its fair share of pros and cons. There may be bad receipe hubs, poorly written technology hubs and hardly digestible marketting hubs too. If someone has a problem with any of those, he/she would definitely never read anything written by the hubber in question. Bottomline- unsavory content is bound to crop up time and again, no matter the genre. Just overlook the ones you do not like, as simple as that.

There are quite a few aspiring writers here, and I'm glad to be a part them. Hopefully, instead of banning poetry, the moderators can come up with a way to sieve away spam/poor quality hubs. Maybe I'll still be around after THAT is done. tongue

18. aware profile image66
    awareposted 11 years ago

A poached egg.
    Sits atop  its perfect bread.
    Awaiting  its order.
    Of pesto pasta  .

1. SmartAndFun profile image94
      SmartAndFunposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't normally read much poetry but I like this poem.

19. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 11 years ago

what?...prose/poetry/verse....my favourite writers?  there are some exceptional writers on HP in mho.

a few of my favs - PD, KL and unfortunately, Ralwus has left the building....there are more awesome writers that i could name

i didn't have a lot of interest in reading poetry until i joined HP

i luv reading short stories as well

peace out!

20. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

Poetry, creative writing, short stories, art, graphics...

Where should we stop?

I like the way HubPages welcomes all types of writing and the way the forums are full of the most supportive people.

These are great things for fledgling writers.

I wouldn't have had a chance when I first started with my bits of rubbish but HP allowed me, and encouraged me.

So rock on poets... and I never thought I'd be saying that.

21. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 11 years ago

I personally don't care much for reading poetry and don't ready poetry hubs, but I don't see a problem with it being on HubPages. Also, like others have said, "Where would it stop?" I just avoid it.

22. paradigmsearch profile image61

Song lyrics are just poetry in disguise. This is the 3rd time I've had to restrain myself from starting to post some of them. I don't know if I can hold out much longer... big_smile

1. Druid Dude profile image61
      Druid Dudeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

NAZIs. Jim Morrison was a poet. Bernie Taupin was a poet. Bob Dylan is a poet.

1. Horatio Plot profile image74
        Horatio Plotposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Bernie Taupin was briefly a poet, from say mid 1970 to 1973.
        After that he was just an ex-poet.

Post away...I would love to read them!!! smile

Paradigmsearch succumbs... big_smile

Listen, children, to a story
        That was written long ago,
        'Bout a kingdom on a mountain
        And the valley-folk below.

On the mountain was a treasure
        Buried deep beneath the stone,
        And the valley-people swore
        They'd have it for their very own.

Go ahead and hate your neighbor,
        Go ahead and cheat a friend.
        Do it in the name of Heaven,
        You can justify it in the end.
        There won't be any trumpets blowing
        Come the judgement day,
        On the bloody morning after....
        One tin soldier rides away.

So the people of the valley
        Sent a message up the hill,
        Asking for the buried treasure,
        Tons of gold for which they'd kill.

Came an answer from the kingdom,
        "With our brothers we will share
        All the secrets of our mountain,
        All the riches buried there."

Come the judgement day,

Now the valley cried with anger,
        "Mount your horses! Draw your sword!"
        And they killed the mountain-people,
        So they won their just reward.

Now they stood beside the treasure,
        On the mountain, dark and red.
        Turned the stone and looked beneath it...
        "Peace on Earth" was all it said.

Come the judgement day,

Come the judgement day,

To fade.

One Tin Solder Rides Away ~ The Legend of Billy Jack

WOW, That was AWESOME!!!  I love the message!!!  You should post this as a Hub so that it can be shared...many of my followers LOVE poetry, even if it is not their genre!! smile  AWESOME JOB!!!

Alas, duplicate content rules apply. If they didn't, I'd post around a 100 of them with amazon links to buy for 99 cents.

Another one coming up...

A long, long time ago...
              I can still remember
              How that music used to make me smile.
              And I knew if I had my chance
              That I could make those people dance
              And, maybe, they’d be happy for a while.

But February made me shiver
              With every paper I’d deliver.
              Bad news on the doorstep;
              I couldn’t take one more step.

I can’t remember if I cried
              When I read about his widowed bride,
              But something touched me deep inside
              The day the music died.

So bye-bye, miss american pie.
              Drove my chevy to the levee,
              But the levee was dry.
              And them good old boys were drinkin’ whiskey and rye
              Singin’, "this’ll be the day that I die.
              "this’ll be the day that I die."

Did you write the book of love,
              And do you have faith in God above,
              If the Bible tells you so?
              Do you believe in rock ’n roll,
              Can music save your mortal soul,
              And can you teach me how to dance real slow?

Well, I know that you’re in love with him
              `cause I saw you dancin’ in the gym.
              You both kicked off your shoes.
              Man, I dig those rhythm and blues.

I was a lonely teenage broncin’ buck
              With a pink carnation and a pickup truck,
              But I knew I was out of luck
              The day the music died.

I started singin’,
              "bye-bye, miss american pie."
              But the levee was dry.
              Them good old boys were drinkin’ whiskey and rye
              And singin’, "this’ll be the day that I die.

Now for ten years we’ve been on our own
              And moss grows fat on a rollin’ stone,
              But that’s not how it used to be.
              When the jester sang for the king and queen,
              In a coat he borrowed from James Dean
              And a voice that came from you and me,

Oh, and while the king was looking down,
              The jester stole his thorny crown.
              The courtroom was adjourned;
              No verdict was returned.
              And while Lennon read a book of Marx,
              The quartet practiced in the park,
              And we sang dirges in the dark
              The day the music died.

We were singing,
              But the levee was dry.

Helter skelter in a summer swelter.
              The birds flew off with a fallout shelter,
              Eight miles high and falling fast.
              It landed foul on the grass.
              The players tried for a forward pass,
              With the jester on the sidelines in a cast.

Now the half-time air was sweet perfume
              While the sergeants played a marching tune.
              We all got up to dance,
              Oh, but we never got the chance!
              `cause the players tried to take the field;
              The marching band refused to yield.
              Do you recall what was revealed
              The day the music died?

We started singing,
              But the levee was dry.

Oh, and there we were all in one place,
              A generation lost in space
              With no time left to start again.
              So come on: jack be nimble, jack be quick!
              Jack flash sat on a candlestick
              Cause fire is the devil’s only friend.

Oh, and as I watched him on the stage
              My hands were clenched in fists of rage.
              No angel born in hell
              Could break that satan’s spell.
              And as the flames climbed high into the night
              To light the sacrificial rite,
              I saw satan laughing with delight
              The day the music died

He was singing,
              But the levee was dry.

I met a girl who sang the blues
              And I asked her for some happy news,
              But she just smiled and turned away.
              I went down to the sacred store
              Where I’d heard the music years before,
              But the man there said the music wouldn’t play.

And in the streets: the children screamed,
              The lovers cried, and the poets dreamed.
              But not a word was spoken;
              The church bells all were broken.
              And the three men I admire most:
              The father, son, and the holy ghost,
              They caught the last train for the coast
              The day the music died.

And they were singing,
              But the levee was dry.
              And them good old boys were drinkin’ whiskey and rye
              Singin’, "this’ll be the day that I die.

They were singing,
              But the levee was dry.
              Singin’, "this’ll be the day that I die."

To fade.

Don McLean ~ Bye-Bye, Miss American Pie

Love this song!!!

It's what I do. big_smile

The blog, however, has something like 200+ views over 50 years. Too many entrepreneurs ahead of me. And don't bother looking for the link anywhere. You won't find it. Besides, I removed the amazon ads long ago.

23. Druid Dude profile image61
    Druid Dudeposted 11 years ago

I like "We all live under the same sun, we all walk under the same moon, so why, yes, why, can't we live as one." The Scorpions

Well said!!! smile

24. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
    schoolgirlforrealposted 11 years ago

There are a ton of great poets on here I wouldn't want to miss like:

blondey wink

KIMBERLYSLYRICS

VINCENT MOORE

EPIGRAMMAN

ETC.

Anyone who doesn't like poetry doesn't have to read it. Similar themes can be found, but, I haven't seen a lot of that here. I think the forum author was having a bad poem day. It happens.

The OP's on a three day "sabbatical" as it goes.

I wondered if that would happen... That was a definite no-no on his part. Live and learn. And, Matthew.... I like you, but you definitely did wrong there. People get way hurt enough without us inflicting even more on each other...

25. paradigmsearch profile image61

And I'm back....

26. paradigmsearch profile image61

It was Della and a dealer and a dog named Jake,

And a cat named Kalamazoo,

Left the city in a pickup truck.

Gonna make some dreams come true.

27. paradigmsearch profile image61

Yeah, they rolled out west where the wild sun sets,

And the coyote bays at the moon.

Della and a dealer and a dog named Jake,

And a cat named Kalamazoo.

28. paradigmsearch profile image61

If that cat could talk, what tales he'd tell,

About Della and the Dealer and the dog as well.

But the cat was cool,

And he never said a mumblin' word.

29. paradigmsearch profile image61

Down Tucson way there's a small cafe,

Where they play a little cowboy tune.

And the guitar picker was a friend of mine,

By the name of Randy Boone.

30. paradigmsearch profile image61

Yeah, Randy played her a sweet love song,

And Della got a fire in her eye.

The Dealer had a knife and the dog had a gun,

And the cat had a shot of rye.

Another Great Song!!!

Hi!

I shall meander with some more.

31. paradigmsearch profile image61

But the cat was cool,

Yeah, the Dealer was a killer; he was evil and mean,

And he was jealous of the fire in her eyes.

He snorted his coke through a century note,

And he swore that Boone would die.

32. paradigmsearch profile image61

And the stage was set when the lights went out,

There was death in Tucson town.

Two shadows ran for the bar back door,

But one stayed on the ground.

33. paradigmsearch profile image61

But the cat was cool,

But the cat was cool,

Two shadows ran from the bar that night,

And a dog and a cat ran too.

And the tires got hot on the pickup truck,

As down the road they flew.

34. paradigmsearch profile image61

Spacing is not mine. Agreed, it wrong with this.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
      Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

PDS, you are so funny, you cheer me up!

It was Della and her lover and a dog named Jake,

And a cat named Kalamazoo.

Left Tucson in a pickup truck.

Gonna make some dreams come true.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

But the cat was cool,

To fade.

Hoyt Axton ~ Della and the Dealer

2. Hollie Thomas profile image61

PDS, you are so funny, you cheer me up!

35. Hollie Thomas profile image61
    Hollie Thomasposted 11 years ago

You've cheered me up that much that I had to say it twice. lol

Hollie, LOL...too funny!!!

Practically every comment I have made today, here and elsewhere, has been duplicated. I'm sure there's a parrot following me.

I used to be a parrot, but I'm all right now...

i used to be a parrot, but I'm alright now...

I'm glad you're all right now. I'm glad you're alright now.

I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright Nowoooooooooooooooooooooooo

36. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 11 years ago

yeah you sure are in trouble......   What a silly title for a thread.

I love to read poetry, i write it too at times.  There has been lots of times when poetry has been discussed on hub pages and many seem to think it would be a better place without it.

If you hate it so much why do you even read it, beats me........... Why did i even read the title of this thread

Do We Just Love Controversy

A good title for a poem there i think.      Brenda Scully

Well said!!!  By the way, love the title...lol

1. Joy56 profile image67
        Joy56posted 11 years agoin reply to this

thanks poetry paints a picture with words......

Poets are sensitive people, easy to bully and hopefully not rising to the bait of people who love to argue.

Many of us are still sad after the death of aguably the best poet on hubpages.  Cris A....... he wrote some beautiful work, and was always encouraging to writers.  He of course was not only a poet, he was an editor, and a brilliant writer, and had so much respect for everyone..........

Still missing you Cris........................

37. Druid Dude profile image61
    Druid Dudeposted 11 years ago

Better idea: Let's ban people who want to ban poetry. Nothing worse than an anti-poetic. First, we will revoke your license. Poetic license, that is.Then, we will put you in the stocks in the town square, and if there is no town square, then naked in a field tied to a post and we all get to super-glue copies of our favorite poems all over your body.

LOL...too funny!!!  You forgot to mention the pitchforks...lol

But if we did that than we aren't much better by not allowing others to express their opinions.

However this topic can serve two purposes, allows anti-poets to express their opinion as well as can inspire poets to flood HubPages with more and more poems each day...lol

Next, there will be an anti-sci fi movement, then, before you know it, the anti-cooks will want the recipes banned. True chaos!smile

Chaotically, Chaotic Chaos...lol

Honestly, I hop HubPages at least an hour a day and often read through a majority of the hubs regardless of my own personal interests/favorite genres.  I have learned a lot from many on here regardless of what they write about and often comment if I learned something or if I just plain liked the writing or writing style.  If I don't have an interest...I hop away.

2. profile image0

Lets do what Druid dude said - sounds hot

38. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 11 years ago

Gotta Love Poetry Eggsperts!  roll

It takes years of highly skilled writing disciplines and life experience  to write quality poetry...

It takes nothing to open one's mouth and criticize the work of others, especially when it appears to be vastly superior to any similar effort by the critic!  sad

But hey, in fairness, it takes a very difficult 3 minutes for some to maintain the discipline required to poach an egg!  big_smile

Yeah.... Well..... Eggs are like that aren't they!  roll

LOL...loved the comparison!!

39. Express10 profile image85
    Express10posted 11 years ago

There is literally only one person's poetry on HP that I enjoy but I have been too busy to seek it out in recent months. Aside from that one person, I simply don't enjoy reading poetry. As for banning it, that will take a lot of effort and time to accomplish...is it worth it? Maybe, because poets aren't writing with SEO in mind are they?

1. aware profile image66
      awareposted 11 years agoin reply to this

oh my another how to make  the perfect ice cube from water writer,

I write many different types of Hubs--not just poetry.  However, when I do write poetry...My title always states the type of poetry and I try never to misled in any shape way or form...examples "Dark Poetry--the subject of my poem" or just plain "Poetry--the subject of my poem".  Two of my poems have received direct hits from search engines.

I wish all writers (regardless of genre) the very best!!

40. aware profile image66
    awareposted 11 years ago

Last book  you will see me check out of a library ! Is a how to book,  on "how to poach an egg" !
    The more i read the words, of the poem which offended you so.
    The more i see, how much better they are.
    Than any of yours.
    Your perfect bread  is stale.

I like this one, too. I like your style, Aware. Imma go check out Aware's hubs. smile

41. Doc Snow profile image89
    Doc Snowposted 11 years ago

Of course we shouldn't ban poetry!

Not even bad poetry--of which examples are not hard to find.

If you don't like it, why not learn to avert your eyes more quickly?

Of course, that wouldn't provoke a conversation...

42. aware profile image66
    awareposted 11 years ago

a peaceful bedroom  .
    made of purple paintings.
    lead to 30 things on a rainy day.
    one of which was a snowman
    the other a rabbit.
    both made of cake,
    and both for a girl.

Nice! Thanks! smile

43. cheaptrick profile image75
    cheaptrickposted 11 years ago

What I'd like to know is why those"Young men from Nantuckit"are such a bunch of pervs?Always using those dirty words in their poems.There must be something else that rhymes with Nantuckit besides...

44. Rui Carreira profile image87
    Rui Carreiraposted 11 years ago

Am amazed by the fact this thread hasn't gathered thousands of people rallying for poems on here. Maybe this proves poets on here are not so active as "regular" writers.

1. profile image0

Am I back? I'm Back!

I think the fact that the poets themselves don't argue is proof that they all agree with me!

2. SmartAndFun profile image94

I think it's because from his past posts, everyone knows the OP is trolling for kicks and attention.

3. Patty Kenyon profile image70

Many poets are very active on HubPages...however, many are humble and rather concentrate on their writing and not worrying about what others think.

Regardless of genre, including poetry, writing is an art...an art form that connects the reader with the writer. Some people connect better with technical/non-fiction writing, others with fiction, and others with imagery that is not found in other genres. 

Poetry does have a huge following because the people that read it can connect with the writer.

Others should not judge unless they too wish to be judged.

I wish each and every writer success in their writing regardless of genre!! smile

45. aware profile image66
    awareposted 11 years ago

Poets  don't write, top ten lists, or how to drivel .

1. profile image0

top 10 list was the first thing i did on here and it was a test; just deleted because that was poor

46. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 11 years ago

Perhaps our Original Poster has joined this site for the purpose of flaming others with his own style of cynical and pathetic expression...
    I find it interesting that having written a poem that contains the elements referred to in the original post... that on checking my comments I find the comment below on that particular poem! 

Mr. Selfish 3 days ago

I relate with too much of this that it sucks. hmm Not to say its no an amazing poem.

Approve
        Deny

ip: 203.184.0.136

So.... why are we allowing the quality of our forums to retard to responding to hit and run trolls? sad

Poets (including Keats etc) are generally motivated by more realistic issues in their lives than the 5001 Top Reasons for Being an Eggspert!  Besides, there's nothing creative about having a negative attitude to life or those who enjoy it, by writing poetry, irrespective of it's quality, it is a creative and thus a positive contribution made!  smile

1. profile image0

To be fair I think its only a matter of time before poets rid themselves of hubpages - comments like that confirm it - they all tend to do themselves in in the end. Look at all the 'greats' all drank themselves into oblivion or just jumped off a tall building.

1. Pearldiver profile image68
        Pearldiverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

How Sad!  sad

Do you have Anything Positive to offer the forums, or were you merely attempting to raise your profile here by criticizing others in a well practiced and highly negative troll-like attack on those trying to make a positive contribution to a greater world than the one you appear to be offended by? roll

Believe me... if you were seeking something more intimately appealing from rubbishing poetry... you will get a greater arousal from winding up your alarm clock mate!  big_smile

Why don't you post the actual links to those 'sickening' poems that you referred to in your OP...  it might give your bleat some credibility, instead of a lack of it!  smile

1. profile image0

I swerve away from posting hubs directly on things like this because I don't want to go against any potential rules and don't wish to embarrass anyone.

Seriously I don't have anything positive to say about the poems on here, I don't enjoy them, I find it really sad some of the comments people make too, it makes me cringe, the people who write them are very dramatic and life isn't like that, its all very fake, as are the very overly positive comments on every single hub, even the ones that really stink.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
            Mark Ewbieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The only person you embarass is yourself.

It's a risky business criticising others because if your own work isn't top notch... and... well let's leave it there.. then you stand a good chance of looking like a fool.

The shock tactic of having a go won't gain you much, if anything.  Hubpages works as a helpful place - that is what makes it great fun, and rewarding for some.

1. profile image0

I enjoy this because its a bit of reality instead of another 'what an absolutely fantastical hub on the thought processes involved with peeling an orange' comment. Means something unlike what I have just quoted (not a real hub or comment, but an example)

47. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

Kirk, I remember your threads when you decided to complain about the lack of quality recipes on HubPages.  Yeah, I remember you, and I will ignore any of the baiting that you do here.  Please go away.  Nobody like a repeat "performer."  Please go away or get an attitude adjustment.

1. profile image0

I thought you weren't taking any notice? What is this post about?

The poem thing was all quite light hearted until people did take it to heart, I don't really want to ban it.

However I really do think there is a lack of quality recipes. They are terrible the majority, and most hubbers shouldn't be let anywhere near a kitchen.

48. Green Bard profile image72
    Green Bardposted 11 years ago

Poets like their poems to be seen,
    This I can understand as a bard that is green,
    Whose to say whether verses have that poetic touch?
    Let the reader decide if they like it very much.
    For poetry is an art that cannot please everyone
    But publishing it here can be a lot of fun!

+1

49. paradigmsearch profile image61

There was a young lady from Boston, Mass.
    Who stood in the ocean up to her ankles.
    It doesn't rhyme.
    But in 12 hours...
    It will.

50. Cheeky Girl profile image66
    Cheeky Girlposted 11 years ago

To the forum creator - If you don't like the writers on Hub Pages, then go to some other communal group of writers. And if you don't wish to be followed by poets, then I am sure that can be arranged. If you criticize others then you too shall be open to criticism. Why have you so few followers?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)