jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)

Hi new here

1. ELucidity profile image61
    ELucidityposted 4 years ago

Howdy Everyone!

I've only posted two hubs so far. I'm trying to get the hang of things. Could recommend some good or interested hubs to follow?

2. MyWebs profile image85
    MyWebsposted 4 years ago

My best suggestion is for you to go read through The Learning Center. Welcome to HubPages!

3. Shadesbreath profile image89
    Shadesbreathposted 4 years ago

You're doing fine. I read both your hubs. You clearly have great writing instincts and a command of the basic skills. Yes, you have stuff to learn in terms of HubPages (HP), but both of those hubs are perfectly fine.

Before I recommend any other hubs/hubbers, I'd love to know what it is you hope to get from HubPages, because, frankly, there are so many variations on what "success" means here. Some write to inform, others for cash, others to capitalize on momentary quirks in search engine algorithms, and a few of us just for joy or absurdity.

I've been here for a long time, so, if you can articulate your goals, I will happily point you to hubbers who have written helpful articles on the particular gradation of success that might coincide with your ambitions.

4. ELucidity profile image61

Well I'm an indie author presay and I just self published my first book. I noticed that a lot of indie authors and readers around the different forums are always looking for reviews. Since I'm a reading addict I thought I could put it to good use and read and review different novels that are self published. I actually read and reviewed the book for second hub in one day.

1. Shadesbreath profile image89
      Shadesbreathposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm an indie author too. I think you have the right instincts. I think long term you'll be better off doing what you are going for on your own site, or at very least a blogspot/blogger page. But, HP will serve well enough for you to get your feet wet.

5. ELucidity profile image61

I have a blog actually. It's just getting started though. I'll see which one ends up doing better. What's the name of your book?

Focus on your blog. Hubpages is about trying to get search engine traffic. Articles about "How to Do XYZ," or "Ten Tips for Improving your Blah Blah" will do well here. I'm pretty sure that's NOT what you are trying to do. You seem to want to build a readership base.

HubPages is not built for the purposes of writers building a brand (which is what you are trying to do as an author). They had some of that going for a while, but Google changes boofed it, mistakes were made, etc., etc., and now HP is still reeling from the negative effects of having turned a blind eye to the rampant and glaring manipulation of how, basically, the Internet worked.

If you are trying to write books and build an audience, stick with your blog. Update it regularly. Share your posts on a nice facebook page. Use Hubpages to augment that effort, but only after you have made your blog amazing and regularly updated (which means, don't bother with HP until you are ready to add an extra layer). If you write book reviews on your website, you will be using the search terms of those reviews to bring readers to your writing space. HP is just not conducive to building an ongoing novel readership. Trust me, I know, because I have tried. It helps, and I really appreciate it, but I also got here four years ago when most of what HP does was new and still worked.

Oh, and you can find my book through my profile if you're genuinely curious.

6. ELucidity profile image61

Nice website!

Thanks for the tip guess I'll stick to my blog then.

Commit to writing new books, and update your blog once a week. Writers write first and do marketing later. More books actually count as marketing. Just write.

2. Rui Carreira profile image87
      Rui Carreiraposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Shades is giving you awesome advice... I use HubPages to write articles like top 10 things to blablabla too. Its how it works and how you get readers and paid.

Focus on your blog and do some SEO research on how to optimize your posts without breaking google rules and using white hat techniques.

Work above all!

7. Bard of Ely profile image88
    Bard of Elyposted 4 years ago

Hello and welcome! smile Good luck hubbing!

8. Pearldiver profile image86
    Pearldiverposted 4 years ago

Hi there... welcome to this diverse group of truly wonderful people who will tell it to you straight... and those 'other' truly manic ones who won't!  big_smile