So...why did you join hub?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (34 posts)
  1. courtyB3 profile image60
    courtyB3posted 11 years ago

I am new here as of 2 weeks ago. I joined to be able to write articles pertaining to the military base my husband is stationed at and for the people who live or are moving here who have NO clue what to do. Morale is low on base, its surrounded by farmlands and when you first arrive you think...holy crap what did I just get into. This is especially worse if you have kids and a spouse deployed.

But my question to you all out there is....Why did you join hub? What did/do you hope to accomplish through your articles? What is your best suggestion for a new hubber as a standard practice on any type of article?

1. KevinTimothy profile image75
      KevinTimothyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

courtyB3, welcome!

Question 1. I joined Hubpages to further brand myself online, honestly. I first was introduced by my mentor a couple of years ago and have been in love with the community ever since.

Question 2. My primary goal is to help educate others on my passions. If I could help just ONE person somewhere around the globe, I'm satisfied.

Question 3. If your goal is to generate extra cash online I STRONGLY recommend that you do a little keyword research before you write articles here. HP is no stranger to Google...and that's a good thing.

Also, proofread before you publish. I find that too many hubbers don't and a common mistake they make is jumbling paragraphs together. You want to encourage others to read what you publish, after all that's why you're publishing, right?

BTW, is it safe to assume that you guys are part of the Army family? You stated that you're surrounded by farmlands...that seems to be the norm with Army bases. Sorry, guys. sad

courtyB3posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the welcome! Much appreciated since Ilve already been threatened in my personal life from this forum posting lol. I appreciate the tips and will try to impliment them according to my hubs.

2. courtyB3 profile image60

Lol yes we are an army family (hubby in almost 20 yrs now) but we live off post and there are a lot of people who are so new to the area and hae no clue what to do and where to go. As a native to the area I am using HP to help them with that and increase base morale and image.

2. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I got my invite from an ouija board. I don't believe in that kind of nonsense, but I was cleaning up stuff and accidentally dropped the thing. It was weird. The little plastic doohickey then crawled across the carpet, back onto the board. It then spelled out h u b p a g e s . c o m.

So here I am.

1. AshtonFirefly profile image70
        AshtonFireflyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

epic.

2. Sawfishlagoon profile image61
        Sawfishlagoonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What a coincidence. The same thing happened to me!

3. courtyB3 profile image60

Wow and here I threw mine out a week ago. Perhaps it was a subconcious message from my now discarded board that brought me here?

4. Rui Carreira profile image85
        Rui Carreiraposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You sir, have just won the internets

3. courtyB3 profile image60

Just a side note due to the fact I now have people messaging me on here and threatening my personal life, before you go apesh1t because you think by my mentioning base moral issues above, read my d@mn hubs and you will see I write articles to INCREASE awareness of fun family activities in the area as well as military vacation deals. Geez some people really need some head checks.

Thanks to all those who were nice regarding my vague and discussion starting forum posting.

4. Helena Ricketts profile image91
      Helena Rickettsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hello from one Army wife to another!  smile

Mine is in another state right now and will be retiring in August of next year when he comes home for good this time.  Woo hoo!  I'm just thankful that this last set of orders didn't send him overseas again.

That's actually one of the reasons I started writing here.  The other is because I really just love to write!  Since this site provides residual writing income, the thought of having almost 3 years to build it up as a supplement to his retirement income was quite appealing to me and just a bonus to doing what I love to do.  I write on other sites too because you just never know what's going to happen with traffic, etc.

I'm hoping to be as successful on here as I possibly can.

My best suggestion to a new hubber is apply for the Apprenticeship Program.  I'm in it right now and it is amazing!  I've learned so much already from that program and have already seen a great increase in the quality of my hubs and the traffic that comes with it.

For hubs, keyword research is the best thing you can do.  Google AdWords Keyword tool should be your best friend.  It's easy to use once you get the hang of it and it's priceless for getting the right phrases into your hubs so they can be found in the search engines.

5. Nicole Margulis profile image53
      Nicole Margulisposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I joined hub to earn money by doing what I love most: writing.

2. AshtonFirefly profile image70
    AshtonFireflyposted 11 years ago

The reason I joined was pretty simple. I loved to write! And I wanted constructive feedback from other writers.

Always great reasons and a great forum to do that!

3. Sawfishlagoon profile image61
    Sawfishlagoonposted 11 years ago

I am newer than you. It is unwise to talk about your husband's base. If your moral is low, there are many other ways to handle it. Do not tell the world. Loose lips sink ships.

Lol wow you obviously have no military association what so ever. moral is a common topic on ANY militar base and is often discussed openly at family center forums and even in the base news letter. Before you go ahead and threaten me (like ya did in the fan mail when u started following me claImIng you were now going to ruIn not only my husbands career but my marriage, fat chance of either of those things happenIng btw) get your facts straight genius!

4. Rui Carreira profile image85
    Rui Carreiraposted 11 years ago

I joined to learn (joined the Apprentices too). The advice I give you to get traffic and cash are 500-1500 words articles with at least 1 good picture and a poll or quiz capsule. It helps to do some keyword research too.

Always try to solve a problem

1. Sawfishlagoon profile image61

Thank you. It is an attitude like yours that gives me hope for the future. I am having trouble learning how to use all of these capsules. Do you know why they use this obsolete format? It takes forever to fix a typo and it is very confusing. Meanwhile, my score is going down. I started at 30. It is discouraging. Some of the people are so proud of being a Hubber and they are rude to new comers. i don't like "newbie" it sounds like a fraternity tag.

I don't know if i like it here. It isn't what I thought.

1. Rui Carreira profile image85
        Rui Carreiraposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your score is only going down because you haven't published yet.

Listen, write a hub - try to implement my suggestions - and publish it. You will see the changes on your score, you will also see readers and hopefully if you  are in the HP earnings program you will get your first cents.

Don't give up just yet. Starting is the hardest part!

2. courtyB3 profile image60

I'm sorry but you threaten me and my personal life on a fan mail post and then continue posting on here to compliment people? Head case!

I am sorry you missed my apology. I have my reasons for being sensitive and did not realize that you are showing people that there are many wonderful things to do. I had a knee jerk reaction to a misconception. I did not completely understand what you meant when you said moral is low on the base. I assumed you were writing about problems in our military. Our way of broadcasting intelligence information is a sore spot with me. I will write the Base commander and extoll the virtues of youe efforts. It is a fine thing that you are doing. Please forgive me.

Yes, I am a head case. I have a closed head wound. I am too compulsive, now. I am working on it though. Please bear with me.

I accept your apology. Thank you for clarifying why you went on the attack towards me. Hope our issues between each other are solved now and best of luck on HP in the future.

You are very gracious. Embarrassment is very painful. I must remember to stop and think. I have no real issue with you. I did you wrong.

No need to be embarrassed. The internet is rife with misconception because of the non use of word inflection. And hell the english language is a pain in the butt because so many words could mean different things in different contexts. Don't worry about it. And the base commander is well aware of my posts hon. smile

That's good. I will write him anyway. Maybe he can get you more exposure with the families who benefit the most.

lol its a She but up to you hon. smile

2. Helena Ricketts profile image91
                  Helena Rickettsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You won't have to worry about him making another appearance here.  He's been banned from the site.

5. Bard of Ely profile image79
    Bard of Elyposted 11 years ago

I joined four years ago looking to make money. I didn't succeed for over a year but I liked the site as a place that was easy to use, had some wonderful people, and on which In could showcase my work!

Great job! Sorry to hear about the money earnings not being what you expected but it is a great forum and way to get yourself heard and out there!

6. jacharless profile image75
    jacharlessposted 11 years ago

Would be my wife. No really, she found this place and dragged me in front of the machine, to see it with mine own eyes. Once I saw it, the universal cohesion of Reason and Season exploded in a triumphant array of curiously, colourful, earthen verbiage. As the sands collected, like a coiling snake, the hieroglyph read, "Philosophy is the Technology of Immortality. Now, go harass some humans, `cuz its fun!."
    A pleasure to make your acquaintance B3, we are one of many also...

James.

7. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 11 years ago

I've been around for awhile!  Had major writers block so I took a break.  Hubpages is just a great place to write!

8. Icematikx profile image58
    Icematikxposted 11 years ago

I love writing so it's naturally a passion for me smile

9. Thelma Alberts profile image89
    Thelma Albertsposted 11 years ago

I´m here because I have the passion to write and to learn from other writers. Besides that, it´s a great place to write and read different topics from the others.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)