jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (16 posts)

Do you read others' comments before writing your own?

1. Lucky Cats profile image79
    Lucky Catsposted 4 years ago

I have my iown method of reading and commenting on hubs.  I'm curious to know how others handle this.

1. Bard of Ely profile image89
      Bard of Elyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes, always!

2. galleryofgrace profile image81
      galleryofgraceposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If a hub has a lot of comments - I don't comment because I don't feel that I could add anything else to a  conversation that has 100 responses.

2. A.A. Zavala profile image85
    A.A. Zavalaposted 4 years ago

I may wait to respond depending on the nature of the hub.  Other times I respond as I see fit.

1. Lucky Cats profile image79
      Lucky Catsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

hi Augustine.  My "MO" for the most part, is to write my comment before reading others' response.  I like to leave thoughts which are not effected by how someone might have interpreted or reacted .  However, often, the comment which is displayed on the live feed is what attracts me to read a hub so, I'll scan a few to see if the article is something I'd enjoy.  so, in this respect, reading others' opinions does help.  Thank you for participating in tis Q & A.

3. Aficionada profile image93
    Aficionadaposted 4 years ago

I think it depends on how many comments there are. I might read up to twenty or so, if I think they have something valuable to say, but I'm not likely to read 50-100.  If what I want to say is like something another commenter wrote, I would probably make reference to the other one. Same if I disagreed with one, although I try to do so in a respectful manner.

1. Green Bard profile image90
      Green Bardposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes, it depends how many comments there are but I always read the one that is last.

4. jacharless profile image82
    jacharlessposted 4 years ago

I read the Hub, then comment. Afterward, scroll through other comments to see what opinions are there, and maybe pop back in for some commentary dialogue. Unbiased comments, to me, work best. smile

5. 0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 4 years ago

No!  If I want to comment, I'll comment.  And that comment will be my own.  I don't care what other readers think, but they are entitled to their own opinions.

6. Lucky Cats profile image79

Hi there gallerofgrace.  Honestly, I have to say, I hadn't looked at it in this way...hmmmm...as a (wanna be) writer and enthusiastic (when I have the time, darn it!) commentor; I value all the imput I receive and try to offer my own, individual "take" on what I've read ot others.  I respect your opinion; and you are probably on to something.  On the flip side, the more +'s I see on my hubs, the happier a hubber camper I am.  LO  Thank you for a new thought (new to me).  Kathy

7. tamron profile image60
    tamronposted 4 years ago

I love to read comments.  Some comments are entertaining.  However I don't always comment but I share the hub and vote.

8. prettydarkhorse profile image64
    prettydarkhorseposted 4 years ago

Sometimes if I have more time, I read some comments! I usually just comment right away!

9. seanorjohn profile image79
    seanorjohnposted 4 years ago

yes, I always do. I noticed in a recent forum, a hubber was announcing that he had reached the 100,000 hits milestone. One commenter pointed out that the poster had subsequently been banned and all his hubs removed. I noticed some hubbers even one with an author score of 100 still left comments congratulating him on his success.

10. Helena Ricketts profile image96
    Helena Rickettsposted 4 years ago

I usually just say what I want, vote and move on.  I will occasionally read the other comments if it is a subject that will spark interesting commentary in the comments section.

11. Lucky Cats profile image79

Thank you to everyone who has answered this question.  What I do, mostly, is read the hub and then scroll to the comment box before I read other's opinions/comments.  I do this so that I am able to share my thoughts before being influenced by others' thoughts.  This way, maybe I'll see something different and/or I won't be affected by others' ideas so that what I say (might) offer something else in addition...OR..  If I am confused or don't really understand what I've read, THEN, I read other comments to learn more and see how others interpret what they have read.  There are some truly bright writers who offer very complex articles here and, I admit, I don't always "get it."  So, this is how I do it.  thanks!  Kathy

12. Thelma Alberts profile image82
    Thelma Albertsposted 4 years ago

I usually read the comments of the others before I give my comment. I could learn from the others. When I have something to say, I´ll comment and that´s my own opinion.