jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

overly promotional and substandard??

1. Nvillag1 profile image60
    Nvillag1posted 4 years ago

I was all psyched to submit my first hub for publication, but then a day later it was pulled down, as it was tagged "overly promotional" and substandard."  I really took issue with both those labels.  The article was a guide to riding the Busan ferry to Fukuoka.  In it I describe in detail the different kinds of services you can take, how much they each cost, what the experience is like, etc.  I reference two websites you can go to for making a phone reservation, which is pretty much the only aspect of the article that I could imagine the administrators having a problem with, but is that really all it takes to get this tag?  I mean, what's the point of even allowing you to link to a website then?

If you're still reading this, thanks for sticking with me.  Any possible explanations would be awesome.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image82
      Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

How long was your hub? How much did you quote from those sites? Do you have links in the picture capsules to those same two sites you quoted?

There are many reasons hubs are classified as substandard.

1. Nvillag1 profile image60
        Nvillag1posted 4 years ago in reply to this

it was about 900 words long, I didn't quote ANYTHING, except the phone number of one of the ferry lines.  The only other capsule besides a text one I used was a table capsule with costs and time estimates.  I really don't know what else I could've done to warrant being unpublished.

2. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 4 years ago

If your Hub was purely promotional of a single thing (which is how you seem to describe it) it's actually pretty easy to have it moderated as being overly-promotional.  And if most of the info you "wrote" was in your own words but essentially a regurgitation of all the info already out there about this ferry without substantial original content and thought, then it's not unlikely that the Hub was considered substandard.

Given that you've been on HubPages for less than two days, it would probably be very beneficial if you went by the Learning Center and read up on exactly what sorts of content and standards are in effect and being enforced on HubPages.  That way you can fix your first Hub and avoid this sort of scenario in the future.

3. Nvillag1 profile image60
    Nvillag1posted 4 years ago

Thank you, relache.  Your post was very helpful.  Hopefully, I won't have this problem again in the future!