jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

500 Google ad Imprints No click through...

1. crazycatman profile image79
    crazycatmanposted 4 years ago

I have just over 500 Google Ad imprints this month but no click through.  Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

1. galleryofgrace profile image81
      galleryofgraceposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You're probably not doing anything wrong. As the saying goes " you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink".

2. Dale Hyde profile image86
      Dale Hydeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Nothing you are doing wrong. It is up to the viewer to click the ads. Google ads will focus on what the viewer has recently been browsing, not necessarily what your hub is about.  Over time the clicks will happen. smile Be patient.

2. Healthy Pursuits profile image88
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 4 years ago

If the vast majority of your views are from other hubbers, we seldom click on ads. We're just reading others' hubs. Have you been doing keyword searches? It might help you get more action from Google.

3. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 4 years ago

CTR is only from 1-5% and certain people don't click (other hubbers, those with banner blindness, those who click back etc) so sounds average to me. Remember, these are real people, so anything could happen.

4. Sawfishlagoon profile image59
    Sawfishlagoonposted 4 years ago

Hubbers are not supposed to click ads from what the literature says. Not many people clic ads anymore. They are over it.

5. aa lite profile image92
    aa liteposted 4 years ago

That's nothing, I've had over 1000 impressions with no clicks.  Most of my traffic comes from Google not from other hubbers.  Also most of my hubs have been on long enough for Google to figure out what they are about and send appropriate ads.  I am using the HP Ads however, which are supposed to decrease the Adsense earnings. 

I do agree that the CTR for Adsense has gone down through the years as people become ad blind.  However, I earn from Adsense on WebAnswers, my CTR there is closer to the lower limit of the 1-5% normal range, so people do still click on Adsense, just not as much as they used to.

I suspect some of this might also have to do with the kind of hubs I write, which are general information, science, rather than 'how to'.  I suspect my readers come to my hubs for general information, to look at the pictures rather than with a specific problem which might induce them to click on an ad.  Still, I do feel that the CTR is starting to become ridiculous.  Surely once you get about 2000 people coming to a hub, one of them would click?  A lot of people on forums about Adsense are starting to complain about Google withholding a lot of clicks and generally changing their algorithms about what they consider a valid click. 

Basically I've given up on earning from Adsense on HubPages and am very grateful for the Ad program.  Its RPM is pretty decent and it pays by impressions rather than clicks.  Now I just need to write more hubs and get more traffic.