jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (8 posts)

Who Would You Rather Be?

1. cryptid profile image91
    cryptidposted 5 years ago

I was watching the Olympics last night before bed and saw Michael Phelps win silver in the 200m butterfly.  He looked downright miserable about it, as did his coach and family.  Later, a women's swimming event was on, and even though I was trying to pay attention I dozed off for a few minutes.  When I came to they showed footage of an American swimmer celebrating like crazy, hugging her teammate, happy as could be.  I thought she must have won gold in her event to be so excited, but turns out she won bronze.  She was just happy to medal in the Olympics.

She sure looked like she was having a much better time in London than Phelps.  Who would you rather be?  I mean, not considering all the endorsement money and free Subway hoagies Phelps gets.

1. profile image0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Me. Why people get so excited about sports is beyond me. Don't they have a life?

cryptidposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Okay then . . .

Maybe a better way to phrase the question is "who has the better perspective?".

smile

1. profile image0

You're actually asking that question?  smile  smile  smile)

cryptidposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I thought I was.  The two Olympic swimmers, to me anyway, were examples of how people react to life.  Some people expect a lot and don't get as much, and they're unhappy unless they get the gold, literally or metaphorically.  Others get even less but they're happy with what they have.  Is it better to drive yourself to perfection and accept nothing less, or is it better to be happy wherever you land?

I didn't mean to suggest people might rather be Michael Phelps than themselves.  I wouldn't either.  The free hoagies would be nice, but I'm not that into swimming, especially in the winter.

1. profile image0

Good point.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image81
              Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

There is a graphic going around Facebook that shows an Australian swimmer crying because she only got silver and a New Zealand bronze winner looking as happy as can be. It's the same here, Canadians are overjoyed by any medal but many American's feel they lost if they didn't get the gold.

2. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 5 years ago

He won that event in 2008 Olympics, and he is about to win that event, but then there is a come from behind win from the gold winner.  As big as his accomplishments in the past, I think he he has a reason to be a little bit upset, and we don't really know what is going on in his mind. He does not have a reason to be upset now, he has the most number of medals among all Olympians!

In my opinion though, as long as he tried his best he should be happy, win or lose.

working