jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (8 posts)

A HubPages search engine

1. mts1098 profile image86
    mts1098posted 4 years ago

I wonder if HP ever considered creating their own HP search engine to compete with Google...Good idea or Bad idea ?

1. WryLilt profile image86
      WryLiltposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Do you have any idea of the work that goes into creating and maintaining a search engine algorithm? Google tweaks theirs over 300 times a year and still can't beat the spam.

1. mts1098 profile image86
        mts1098posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I am guessing you think this is a bad idea smile

2. paradigmsearch profile image90
      paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'll write one up for them over the weekend. big_smile

2. GmaGoldie profile image88
    GmaGoldieposted 4 years ago

I believe strongly we need to address the searches within our own site for offering the highest quality. I love HubPages but often search via Google with HubPages in the search terms to find the best of the best.

When I search within our site, I see time and time again hubbers with no photo, low quality hubs (great key terms but no substance).

I agree with WryLilt, it is a daunting task but one we should start with the objective simply of offering the best of the best when searching within our site.

I would like to see a filter where the hubbers without a profile photo don't even show up in the internal search.

There is a lot of difference between creating a stronger internal search and creating one that indexes and returns results from the entire internet. smile

1. GmaGoldie profile image88
        GmaGoldieposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I could not agree more. My opinion is IF we cannot have a strong internal search, how can we even begin? I feel strongly that our internal search weakens our site overall.

If we are showcasing hubbers without photos - aren't we doing a dis-service to those who are trying?

Before we even attempt an algorithm, we first must be able to perform a basic filter internally.

Good point!!

working