jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

Does putting something on Hubpages make it "published" to other sites?

1. 60
    Lone Poetposted 4 years ago

Part of the Terms for Hubpages states something along the lines of "all content must be previously unpublished and original"

I have two quick questions:
    1. Does that mean that if I have a post published on Gather.com, that I cannot put in on here too?
    2. If I post a poem of mine on Hubpages, will I never again be able to submit it to an unassociated contest that wants "unpublished" poems?

thanks for your time!

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Published is published, on any site.  Whether you publish a poem on HubPages, or Infobarrel, or Squidoo, or Gather, or your own blog, or even on a forum - it counts as published.

However, if you then delete your poem from HubPages (or Infobarrel or Squidoo or....) and allow a few weeks for it to disappear from the Google cache, it then becomes "unpublished" and you'll be able to submit it to another site. 

That's why it's so important, when choosing a site, to ensure that they allow you to delete your work if you wish to.

2. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 4 years ago

In my understanding to your questions ~

1- Yes, it does mean that you can't publish an article that you have on another site. 
    2- Yes, if you have published a poem online, it becomes 'published'.  If you wanted to enter it into a contest that asks for previously unpublished work, you could not submit it. 

HP does not want duplicate content.   Hope this helps.

3. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 4 years ago

It's pointless to have two of the same item published on two different sites. Both will rank in Google for the same term, so one will get views and one won't. Google frowns on duplicates, too.

1. writeyourwrongs profile image79
      writeyourwrongsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

True. A client of mine posted duplicate content and once it was spotted by Google they knocked him from page 1 to page 17. Go figure.

4. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 4 years ago

Marisa, that's not necessarily correct in the poetry world.  An editor does not like finding out a poem was previously published, deleted, and resubmitted to enter a contest, or for submission to an anthology or writer's ezine. Someone may have copied the poem or quoted lines and included it on their own site.  It's best practice not to publish a poem online you may want to use for another purpose.  Contests and editors are looking for fresh content.  Most guidelines read that the entries cannot have been previously published anywhere.

1. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 4 years ago in reply to this

But most poems don't get views, and spammers know better than to steal poems because of that fact, right?

1. rebekahELLE profile image91
        rebekahELLEposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Not true at all.  Poems do get views by those who read poetry or need to find a poem for a project/event, holiday, etc.

2. Dale Hyde profile image86
        Dale Hydeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The poems I have published are certainly getting views. I am not sure where the reasoning has come from here  on HP that poems automatically are low views or no views.

2. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 4 years ago in reply to this

That's a good point.  There is definitely a difference between "not published elsewhere" and "not previously published elsewhere", so it's important to check the guidelines for the site you're submitting to.   Sounds like poetry is stricter than prose in that regard.

5. jeolmoz2 profile image57
    jeolmoz2posted 4 years ago

Re Duplicate content view by Google...so in your opinion's better just to use share feature? Twitter, Facebook & Pinterest because of Google Search?

working