jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Why would a site want duplicate content?

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

Recently Helium.com has been pushing the idea that writers can "make a quick killing by re-purposing" their articles on Helium (they've started paying up to $2 upfront for articles which is where the 'quick killing' bit comes from - however before you get excited, you need to be a 3-star writer which means you must have a lot of high-rating articles on Helium already). 

I'm wondering why they would want stuff that has been published already? 

If I were to post an article on Helium that I already had on my blog, and Helium had a higher page rank, would the Helium article get first pickings on Google?  I'm wondering if that's what's behind it.

1. darkside profile image83
      darksideposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I'm guessing that by 're-purposing' they mean 'rejigging'. And it's a quick way to get a huge influx of articles. Perhaps a new tactic that they think will pay off handsomely?

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
        Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago in reply to this

No, they're specifically talking about posting articles that are already published elsewhere without the need for editing - hence the "quick killing" idea.  Misha has put into words what I was thinking - that although Helium may appear only to get the second bite of the cherry, in practice their instance of the article is likely to become the "authority" one.

I'm not feeling tempted, personally - they've changed the rules again so your earnings are dependent on maintaining a rating star.  That means spending an hour or two every week rating other people's articles, and the return simply isn't worth it.  So much for Helium as a source of passive earnings!

2. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

Yes, compared to Helium, your blog is a spec of dust. They do have very good ranking power, and easily can outrank other copies of the same text, if later are not heavily promoted...

I am talking out of personal experience - one of their articles surfaces recently for one of my main keywords and is a real pain in the butt to outrank, despite of them having only 4 trashy links reported against my several thousands. No it is not about hub, it is about one of my sites.

3. Miranda Rights profile image60
    Miranda Rightsposted 7 years ago

Long story short - the duplicate content issue isn't as simple as many think... Trusted sites can and will benefit from duplicate content simply because Google 'trusts' them...

One of the top SEO's shares his analysis and testing (good reading if you're serious about SEO)

http://www.wolf-howl.com/google/google- … e-content/

4. Eileen Hughes profile image84
    Eileen Hughesposted 7 years ago

Marissa,  yes I noticed that you have to have stars and that means I have no hope of earning because I am not on the net anywhere near enough as still travelling.  I battle to get on the net much at all .  although I found a caravan park that has free internet so am here for a couple of days.  Gee I can have a party now.  not really as they could cut  me of if I do too much and take ad vantage of it.
    Have a great xmas, Eileen