jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

What's your speed?

1. Dame Scribe profile image60
    Dame Scribeposted 4 years ago

Alright, so, went and checked out my typing speed lol I go anywhere from 40-75 wpm tongue what's your thoughts? idea's? tips?

2. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 4 years ago

That seems a little low for a professional writer - it costs you time and money. 

Type "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog".  Repeat 20,000 times, without errors.  This should raise your average to between 41 and 76.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago

I was tested last year at 80 wpm... another test was about 65 wpm.

4. That Grrl profile image79
    That Grrlposted 4 years ago

I type at 95 WPM when I'm just typing as I think. I'm almost error free too. Lately I've been getting too fast. I hit the space key too soon. I end up with the last letter of the word being ejected into the next word. So fixer upper time is slowing me up. I hope I get my rhythm back again.

When I type for a typing test and have to read what I'm typing I am much slower and I have more typos. Luckily I haven't been doing office work for few years. My last test speed was not quite 40 WPM.

The real test now is how fast you wear out your keyboard. I bought a new PC this summer and the main keys are already fading. My old keyboard  had only a few letters still visible. I guess the paint wears off much sooner than the old typewriter keyboards. I remember those, we had to touch type pretty hard but those keys took the abuse and the wear and tear.

5. Green Bard profile image91
    Green Bardposted 4 years ago

I don't know but probably very slow. I use two fingers to type and have to look at the keyboard to know where I am and this is after years of writing!

1. Dame Scribe profile image60
      Dame Scribeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I bet this sort of typing is good at texting though? smile

6. Shadesbreath profile image91
    Shadesbreathposted 4 years ago

If I'm taking a typing test and doing it with no errors, I get 75 wpm. But I type hella faster most of the time when I'm in creative mode trying to chase ideas, which means I probably generate way more characters per second than the 75 wpm rate, but lower net correct words per minute when it's said and done. Don't know how to test that, but would be curious.

7. Dame Scribe profile image60
    Dame Scribeposted 4 years ago

Hi Shadesbreath smile yeah, I used search for a 'test your typing speed
    '. Can't remember which one I used but thought it'd be great, in case we need help, to know more lol

8. JKenny profile image95
    JKennyposted 4 years ago

Hmmm...interesting question. I've never really thought about it. I actually type with just one hand- my left hand, which is even stranger considering that I'm right handed. I guess I developed that through years of playing video games smile