jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

The "Others you might like" feature on the new profile page

1. Sherry Hewins profile image95
    Sherry Hewinsposted 4 years ago

I, for one, and mystified by how they choose which hubbers to put in this section. The ones on my page seem to have little in common with me. Not that they are bad, I just don't see why HubPages thinks readers who like me would necessarily be more likely to like their hubs than anyone else. The ones I've looked at on other people's pages don't seem very similar to them either.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Well, it just says "might"... smile
      What if they changed it to "might not like, at all"  big_smile

1. Sherry Hewins profile image95
        Sherry Hewinsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I guess I might like any random hubber out there. So I guess it's possible I might like those hubbers. I think I have more in common with you that I do with any that have been chosen for me.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
          Rochelle Frankposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I was thinking the same, but am not going to worry about it.

Might be fun to have a "this author recommends..."  but that might be a bit  sticky, for many reasons. Cliques are not nice.

2. sweetzara profile image84
    sweetzaraposted 4 years ago

I think they might be based on how many common followers you have with them... But this is just a guess.

3. Jonathon Kennedy profile image59
    Jonathon Kennedyposted 4 years ago

I actually have the same problem with Twitter. Not only have I never went "Oh, this person seems interesting!" but more often than not I'm a little offended at what they offer me...

Still, it might be free advertising for me if I end up on someone else's page and a person viewing that sees me and follows me. Anything that offers me more readers is welcome, even if it is a roll of the dice on how they're chosen.

4. 2uesday profile image88
    2uesdayposted 4 years ago

Surely it could not be be the 1 mutual follower?
    Or maybe you write on one mutual topic. smile

5. WriteAngled profile image92
    WriteAngledposted 4 years ago

I'm waiting for the screaming to start when polar opposites start to get paired up.

People writing on a topic that generates strong emotions (think politics, religion), but from the opposite sides of the barricade, so that, for example, an atheist, evangelical Christian and fundamentalist Muslim find themselves featured on each others' profiles.

Someone writing about cancer from the establishment medical/scientific viewpoint gets paired up with a snake oil salesman offering a wondrous cure for cancer and every other disease.

An author who is punctilious about grammar and style and writes for the educated layman becomes associated with someone writing low-level populist content targeting the unwashed masses, or with someone who has minimal command of English.

These unwelcome associations will cause angst not only to the writers, but also to their readers.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image84
      Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You can blacklist up to 3 writers in that section if they really bother you.

1. WriteAngled profile image92
        WriteAngledposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If allowed at all, I think blacklisting should be unlimited.

I think a disclaimer will be the first sentence needed on each profile, to state the author has no control over what is featured in certain sections.

1. Jonathon Kennedy profile image59
          Jonathon Kennedyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Perhaps an idea to consider would be to allow the user the option to not take part in the system at all. If they're uncomfortable with other (random) names appearing on their main page, then they could have the option to remove the feature entirely, whilst also removing their name from proverbial sorting hat.

working