Can't upload background picture on new profile.

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (22 posts)
  1. NC4Life078 profile image74
    NC4Life078posted 11 years ago

I've tried several differen't pictures but I keep getting the same message:

Sorry, We cannot process the image you tried to upload. Please try a different file.

The images are JPEG's Dimension circa 1600 x 1200, 422 KB. Has anyone else had this problem or knows how to fix it?

1. Efficient Admin profile image86
      Efficient Adminposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad you asked this question because I had the exact same message a few minutes ago after trying to load one of my own photos, but I am not sure on how to fix it.

2. Dale Hyde profile image80
      Dale Hydeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have yet to try the new profile, but this was one of my questions as well.  I would have to agree that a smaller photo may well be best for loading fast.  If the image takes too long to load, folks will be apt to simply click off of your page.

3. Efficient Admin profile image86

That seemed to work -- to change the pixels to 600 x 800 on one of my own photos and it loaded up fine. I now have the new profile, woo hoo!

NC4Life078posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I love the photo, it looks great. Its similar to Dales how the "Tiles" are but looks fine. The dimension was 600x800 but, do you know what the size of it was?

1. Efficient Admin profile image86

I just changed the photo a few seconds ago to a picture I took on my own camera -- if you look at my profile now this background photo was originally 4000 x 3000.  The first photo I uploaded (then changed) was originally 1024 x 748.  I did not want the tile feature on either upload but it wouldn't let me uncheck the tile box.

1. Dale Hyde profile image80

That looks great! smile  Mine has the same effect. I do like it. smile  After seeing yours, I saw I had a "gap" at the bottom of my page so I uploaded the same image, larger at 1,024 x 768 pixels, and that did away with the "gap" at the bottom of the page.

4. ChristopherJRex profile image83
      ChristopherJRexposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is what I've discovered in exploring my difficulties in uploading pictures: picture size appears to be somewhat irrelevant (with regard to pixels or Kb), as I've been able to upload a picture that was 2979x1922 pixels and 967 Kb; post-processing appears to be important, as I could not upload JPG images straight from my camera, nor could I upload pictures processed by Microsoft Office Picture Manager or GIMP, but I was able to upload pictures processed by Microsoft Paint (as the last step: just open in Paint and click save).  Hope this helps!

2. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

I'm not certain of the best file size, but perhaps it's too big?  You want an image that can load quickly when your page is viewed.

I was able to upload a picture that was 66 kb. My guess is that they have a limit, all though I am not sure what that is I would guess 100 KB.

Surprisingly these pictures were not taken with my cell phone, just an old camera. My better pictures are 350+ KB. Perhaps the size has to do with Mega Pixels?

Its slightly ironic too because the profiles do 1 image 4 times "Tiles". You can check out my profile page for an idea of what it will look like. Maybe I just did it wrong, but, that was the only way I could get it to work.

You can use their pre-set images as the "whole" background. But, if you use your small uploaded picture it makes you use "Tile".

2. Dale Hyde profile image80

By looking at staff member Robin's page, I can see where she is displaying just one image and not tiles.  It appears that there is an option for just one image.

http://robin.hubpages.com/#

This image is one of the "Pre-Set" Images you can choose on Hub Pages. There is about 5 and are displayed as "Whole Images". If you choose to use your own, it will be tiled, at least at this point.

My image is now being displayed. One image, no tiles. It is my image and not a pre-set image.  You can view it on my profile.  It appears to be based on the size of the photo. The photo I used was 800 X 600 pixels.

1. Horatio Plot profile image74
              Horatio Plotposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I had the same problem. Same solution. Same size. 800x600. 118kb.
              They should let us know.

What I was implying is that it did work for me, no tiles, just the one image.  I had the option available to choose tiles, but did not.

You can see that your image is "Tiled" you can see the top of the "Jar" and the "Stick" (I appologise if these are incorrect terms as for what is being shown). It just seems that your "Tile" line is much lower than mine is. Never the less it looks great, I'm jealous. How many KB was that photo?

3. rebekahELLE profile image86

Yes, I see.  The first one I uploaded didn't look right tiled, so I put up a pattern that could be tiled seamlessly.  Maybe someone more photo savvy will offer some advice. 

Hopefully, HP will give advice and guidelines regarding appropriate file size.  The one I am using now is 8 KB; jpeg.

You used a good pattern. I had made my own but still get the tiles split. I believe using "Lighter" draws readers into your page. When I used a dark pattern it really took away from my articles (even though I had eliminated the line). All in all, for now I am settled with what I have until I create a new one.

4. NC4Life078 profile image74
    NC4Life078posted 11 years ago

UPDATE:

KB I believe doesn't matter as I was able to use a file that was 231 KB's. Dimensions I have used have been up to 1600. It is better to use a "Wide image" for dimensions. Circa 1500 x 1000 (The image I was working on was 394 KB's).

To eliminate your headache use an image where you will not notice boarders (Consistent patterns) as HP doesn't automatically adjust your file for best fit. If your pictures are not working as indicated here, send your photo to paint and edit it slighly as it has worked every time after that for me.

I thank you all for your support and time in helping me and others understand this issue better and I look forward to visiting your profiles.

August 13th 2012

5. rebekahELLE profile image86

That's good to know.  I like your updated background.  It looks better than the previous.  I think I'll link to this on the thread at the top of the forum.  I'm sure people have questions regarding image size, etc.

6. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 11 years ago

I just tried to upload a mega image and got a message that told me that background images couldn't be larger than 2000kb.  So there's your upper size limit.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)