jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Comments vs. Hubs

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image90
    DzyMsLizzyposted 4 years ago

Can I make a hub based in large part on a comment of my own that I left on another hub,  without running afoul of the 'duplicate content' trip-wire?

2. 0
    DigbyAdamsposted 4 years ago

How long was your comment? Without seeing it, I would think that a Hub would be a lot longer and have lots more content. In any event, I wouldn't take the comment word for word and place it in the hub. I'd paraphrase it just to be safe.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image90
      DzyMsLizzyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, DigbyAdams,
        As I recall, the comment was a fairly lengthy one (not hub-length, of course).  At this point, I don't even recall on whose hub the comment was placed....it's been close to a year ago, most likely. 
      Ergo, I can't easily look it up to find my exact phrasing in the comment.  So parts of it might come out as exactly the same, but hopefully not enough to trigger the flag.

3. chef-de-jour profile image92
    chef-de-jourposted 4 years ago

I inadvertently used the text of a letter (in connection with an Anne Frank hub I created - but this was flagged as duplicate much to my surprise because I thought it in the public domain. I was able to paraphase parts and take actual snippets from it without falling foul of the duplicate gods. I guess the same could be said for your comment?

4. 0
    DigbyAdamsposted 4 years ago

Duplicate content flags can happen even if you've written the material yourself. So even if text is in the Public Domain, it won't protect you from the duplicate content warning.

5. Healthy Pursuits profile image89
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 4 years ago

If you locate the comment, you could copy it and paste it to your word processor, then ask the hub author to delete the comment. After the comment was deleted, you could wait a few days, then write your hub. If the comment could be deleted, it would benefit both of you, as the hub author would have a hub that's changed a year after it was written, which is considered a refresh by Google.  At least, this is my theory....  smile