One of the BEST purchases I ever made was:

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Denise Handlon profile image85
    Denise Handlonposted 11 years ago

There are a few times when I am just plain pleased with a 'smart purchase' I've made.  I'll start with something I've bought that I like for either the practical factor or enjoyment:

1. tussin profile image58
      tussinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My Kindle.

Denise Handlonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

smile   Cool

2. Denise Handlon profile image85

I bought solar lights for my walkway that adds just the right lighting and delights me everytime I look out at them.  (ahh, yes...the 'simple pleasures' that please...)

3. timorous profile image82
    timorousposted 11 years ago

In 1999, I bought my mom a Black & Decker bread machine. Apart from needing a new baking pan about 3 years later it continues to work perfectly well. When she passed away, I took possession of the machine, and I continue to enjoy a few different kinds of bread all the time. The flavor and aroma of home-baked bread is something that spoils you right away. You'll never go back to that plastic, store-bought bread...there's no contest.

I have heard that from other people who have bread makers, timorous.  My mother also had one and my younger brother took it.  I'm wondering if he EVER used it.  I love the smell of fresh baked bread and love to eat it warm from the oven with melted butter oozing over it.  smile

4. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 11 years ago

Black-out liners for my bedroom window curtains. It stays dark in there day and night unless I open the curtains. I can sleep as late as I want and not get woken up by sunlight.

OMG !  Absolutely!   I work midnight shift so I know exactly what you mean.

1. lyndre profile image60
        lyndreposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My last bottle of vodka

lol   lol

5. brimancandy profile image77
    brimancandyposted 11 years ago

I think the best purchase has to be my Chevy Cavalier. I was going to say my computer, but, without the car to go to the store to pick it up, I wouldn't have been able to buy it. I love my car, and I love going places. I live in the country now, so I basically can't do anything without it.

The reason I say my car, is because a lot of people tried to talk me out of buying it. That was when I lived in the city, when I could take a bus or a cab just about anywhere. But, there is pretty much nothing where I live now. the nearest grocery store is 23 miles away. Without a car I would be pretty much screwed. Been there before, never want to be there again.

Oh yeah!  and a chevy cavalier will do the trick, no doubt!  My daughter had one that lasted forever.  Then, she gave it to her mother in law and it still ran for years.   I've got a little black Pontiac Sunfire that is about the same size and it has lots of miles and is still going strong, (despite the paint peeling).  A great asset to have for sure.

6. Denise Handlon profile image85

I have a hummingbird birdfeeder that has been a new addition to my deck and I love to watch the hummingbirds hovering there for a drink.

7. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

I have a pair of bright yellow loppers that I use for pruning my roses and trees, and it has not needed sharpening in 12 years.  I also use those loppers for doing volunteer work at the local historic rose garden.  Actually, my ex-husband bought them for me, and in a couple of more years, those loppers will last longer than my first marriage.  LOL!  My ex didn't do much of anything, so I got to keep the loppers long before the divorce was finalized.

smile

8. Healthy Pursuits profile image78
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 11 years ago

I have Fibromyalgia and do a lot of self care to minimize symptoms. The best thing I've ever bought, hands down is a Knobble. It's a small, handheld plastic piece that you can use to do your own muscle massage. I can put it in my palm and hit all of the major pain points and referred pain. If I do it about every day, I can keep the muscle work to a minimum to maintain some level of comfort. If I have a particularly bad day, the Knobble fits so well in my palm and requires so little pressure to work knotted muscles that I can use it for quite a while without fatigue. It works much better than any prescription for pain that I've ever had. Because of using it - well, and diet change, and pacing, and blah, blah Fibromyalgia routines, blah - I've been free of opiate pain medication for over a year. This little knobble only costs about $7. What a find! What's really funny is that it looks like a plastic doorknob that was never finished.

Cool...I've recently been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and I may look into this.  I was thinking of scheduling a massage next week.

9. Denise Handlon profile image85

My new apple corer and slicer...it delights me every tine I use it.

10. classicalgeek profile image83
    classicalgeekposted 11 years ago

My 1950 Chickering console piano. It's a joy to play on, and of course, I wouldn't be able to teach without a piano!

smile  Very cool  !  smile

11. Denise Handlon profile image85

My flat iron on days when I just don't want the frizzy curl, lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)