Strong points for new Hub layout...

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (17 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 11 years ago

After converting to the new hubpage profile, I realized that there were three very strong points.

1) It forces one to put a better summary in in order to snare the reader!
    2) It forces one to go back and upload photos for all hubs that don't have photos!
    3) It forces one to look at each and every article and see whether one wants them on display.

Ergo, I have spent quite a few hours last night and this morning updating and making some hubs better. Still got a way to go.

Anyone else have the same experience? And is there anything else I'm missing?

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. Cardisa profile image87
      Cardisaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I noticed that the same day I switched and I feel great doing it for my earlier hubs were crap! LOL...I have been updating hubs a lot lately. I love the  carousel too because I can change the featured hubs every day!

2. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 11 years ago

Actually, I've just noticed that the hubs are in the order that one has written them. Is there any way one can change the order?

1. Aficionada profile image78
      Aficionadaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I haven't succumbed to the new profile yet, so I'm just fumbling in the dark - do updates affect the order at all?

1. profile image0
        Sophia Angeliqueposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not as far as I can see! I updated my very first one when I added a photo and it's still last. sad

1. Aficionada profile image78
          Aficionadaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Bummer!

Well, maybe sometime down the road they'll create some other ways to order them.

2. Cardisa profile image87

Sophia, I think you can choose what to display by group I think but I think that feature doesn't work so well as it keep switching back.

3. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

You are brave to make the change, but I am just plain chicken.  I want to fix all of my Hubs before even trying to use this new layout.  I am glad that out of 230 Hubs, I have unpublished down to nearly 100.  I didn't realized (while writing) that it took so much work to track, update and tweak Hubs.  I've been working on my Hubs since the black and white animals reared their ugly heads, but now it is best to make sure that each Hub has an illustration and is updated at every angle.  Unfortunately, I still have DUDS, and I have to decide what to do with them.  As for the profile?  Mine is going to be three sentences--maximum.  I'm done with long bios that will most likely bore readers and drive them away.  LOL!

1. Cardisa profile image87

Arlene, forgive me for asking but what are DUDS?

4. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

I agree.  I still have to go through and work on summaries, but overall, I think the page gives both the writer and viewer a good look at what our site contains.  I really like the carousel of featured hubs.  We can change it as we want to highlight specific hubs.

Once you make the change, the old profile looks a bit boring.

I'd never want to go back to the old profile now, I am so fascinated with the new profile that I visit my profile page every chance I get and just stare at it... big_smile and my background image rocks!

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The new profile does grow on a person. I think the firestorm will die down eventually. big_smile

I hope so 'cause these changes are really cool wink

5. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

Cardisa, a dud is a dud, and it can cover many areas and subjects.  LOL!  So a duddy Hub doesn't do anything for you in terms of traffic.  It is not the type of writing that you are proud to share and show off.  So, you will either unpublish or delete it.  Or maybe keep it around and hope it will improve and make you some online pennies?   Reminds me of my ex-husband, but that's a totally different type of D-U-D.  Fuddy duddy--that one.  Instead of unpublishing or deleting him, I simply filed for divorce and got my wish.  Also, you can try lighting fireworks, and the DUDS remain unlit.  No sparkle, no bam--nothing.  So you can take your pick!  Lots of DUDS out there!  LOL!!!

I wasn't familiar with the term (excuse is that I ain't American...lol). Thanks for enlightening me. I have had to delete quite a number of dud-dy hubs as well.

6. SmartAndFun profile image93
    SmartAndFunposted 11 years ago

I would love to be able to order them from latest to earliest. I'm sure others would prefer something else. I guess it's too much of a coding nightmare to give us a couple of options. If we did have options, earliest to latest would be my last choice.

What if we unpublish, then republish our old hubs? That would push them down toward the bottom. I guess they'd lose their age and comments, though. sad

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)