jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

SUGGESTION: Recipe Ratings

1. vespawoolf profile image97
    vespawoolfposted 4 years ago

Should recipes only be rated by members? I've noticed in other recipe forums, not just anyone surfing the internet can rate recipes. They have to join the site first.

2. MickiS profile image94
    MickiSposted 4 years ago

Interesting suggestion. As someone who writes a lot of recipes Hubs and uses the rating capsule, this one is close to my heart.

I checked several recipe sites, and you are correct. In order to rate a recipe you must be a signed in member.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll put it on the list of things the next time we work on the recipe capsules.

1. vespawoolf profile image97
      vespawoolfposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Great! Thank you so much for looking into this. I really appreciate it.

1. Sally's Trove profile image100
        Sally's Troveposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It seems as though HP has always had a more or less open door policy about non-members participating on this site (with the exclusion of forum participation). To the current point, non-members can rate recipes. In addition, they can also leave comments on hubs and participate in polls.

If you restrict recipe rating to members, then should other types of participation be restricted to members as well?

If you're going to put vespawoolf's question on a list of things for the next time you work on recipe capsules, then do you think a larger question about non-member participation should be addressed? It seems to me that restricting recipe rating to members is one of those piece-meal actions, taken without looking at the larger picture, that could be pointless or even harmful.

2. MickiS profile image94
      MickiSposted 4 years ago

Sally's Trove, you raise an excellent point. When it comes to recipes, one cannot truly rate it until one has made it. This helps to ensure that the ratings we capture are an accurate reflection of the recipe rather than a vote on a whim.

This is especially important because with the recipe ratings, they are a special micro format that enables the rating to show up in search results, and that rating has a big impact on click-thru rate.

I suspect that this is why other recipe-dedicated web sites have taken the standard of requiring sign in to rate recipes (while even allowing other parts of the site--commenting, etc. to be open to the public).

In this respect, just as you need to be signed in to post to a forum, you should be signed in to rate a recipe. Anonymous users can still comment and leave Hub Feedback on the recipe. Fine line, yes, but I think the right thing to do.