jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)

Use of photos from Wikipedia.com

1. mary615 profile image94
    mary615posted 4 years ago

I found some great photos I'd like to use on Wikipedia. com  (not Wikipedia commons).  Can I use those if I attribute them back to the source?  Thanks.

1. Dale Hyde profile image87
      Dale Hydeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I use Wikimedia Commons for some of my photos.

mary615posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I like Wikimedia Commons, too.  These photos are on Wikipedia.com That's why I'm not sure if I should use them.

1. Judi Bee profile image86
          Judi Beeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Usually if you click on a Wikipedia photo it takes you to Wikimedia Commons where you can find all the info on the file usage.  Generally it is OK to use, but this morning I couldn't use one because there is a dispute over the copyright.

Thanks.  I'll check some more.  When I clicked on the photo I wanted in Wikipedia.com it did not take me to commons.

2. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Unless the source (wikiPedia) specifically tells you how they must be attributed, best to assume that they are not free to use.

2. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

If you go to the talk page it should give the picture source

Thanks. That did it.

3. Greekgeek profile image97
    Greekgeekposted 4 years ago

It's not really the source you need, though. It's the copyright info. While most photos on Wikipedia are creative commons and may be used with a link and credit, some are copyrighted, and the person who uploaded them either didn't care or presumes to bend copyright law because they think it's okay to do it on Wikipedia for some reason. Those people may be wrong.

So you gotta click on the picture or use a service like Tineye to trace it back and discover if it's really available for your use, or if it's copyrighted.

working