Aug 20 Earnings Decrease?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (47 posts)
  1. Isabella Snow profile image86
    Isabella Snowposted 11 years ago

Noticed that my earnings previously posted for Monday the 20th (which were already reflected in my overall earnings and which looked typical to begin with), have now been reduced to something that looks most atypical, and this figure is also now reflected in the total earnings.

Normally earnings glitches aren't reflected in the overall earnings figure. That, and I've never seen earnings go down during adjustments, especially when they looked normal to begin with. If this is a glitch it is one I've not seen before.

Anyone else seeing this for Monday Aug 20?

1. Polly C profile image91
      Polly Cposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, same for me

Isabella Snowposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well then it's probably a brand new glitch, I suppose.

1. sm825 profile image60
          sm825posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think it has to do with everyone getting their kids, and the kids themselves ready to go back to school. You also got college students getting ready if not already back to start the new term. I would say sometime before fall starts the views will probably pick back up again. It is just like on Runescape around this time a lot of kids sell all of there items and cause the market to crash, then a few months later it is back to where it was again.

I bet you next year it will probably happen again.

2. Rik Ravado profile image88
    Rik Ravadoposted 11 years ago

Yes me too.  Impressions were unchanged but the CPM went from $5+ to $3+ dramatically reducing earnings.

3. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

I am more concerned by the fact that my earnings figure for August 11 states 0 views and 0 earnings, which is not true.

Of course, the sum involved is miniscule, but it is the principle of the thing that is worrying.

1. Greekgeek profile image78
      Greekgeekposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just my luck. i had a viral influx of about 7000 extra visitors on the 20th.
      Sometimes the amount isn't minuscule!

1. WriteAngled profile image75
        WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was referring to my earnings! smile

At present, I rarely get more than $0.20 a day for all my hubs combined in the HP Ad programme, with about one eBay click every couple of weeks and one Amazon click every few months or so.

4. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 11 years ago

Just noticed all my CPMs have been reduced for the 20th (across all my accounts), but there is still an asterisk beside each, so not finalised yet. Maybe it will go even lower?

5. Isabella Snow profile image86

I've no doubt they will go back to where they originally were to begin with.

6. Isabella Snow profile image86

Newly posted earnings for the 21st look just as strange as the 20th, which makes me think it's definitely a glitch of some kind. Just never saw them change once already reflected in the total monthly earnings before.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one!  My page views suddenly dropped 75%, and my earnings not only fell the same amount, but also have much lower CPMs than before.    I hope the Hub Gods are reading these posts and take appropriate steps to fix these things...this reminds me of what happened last Spring...only that time, everything just went down to practically nothing, but came back about three weeks later. 

It's hard to keep your spirits up when stuff like this keeps happening.  Makes you just want to stop writing!

7. wilderness profile image93
    wildernessposted 11 years ago

My hub views seem normal, even climbing a bit, but the CPM suddenly dropped by 20% on the 20th and was the same for the 21st.

I know they vary considerably, but that seems unusual.  The CPM is the lowest I've seen since April/May when there were a few days about what it is now.

8. Isabella Snow profile image86

I think it's all just a "typical" earnings report glitch...

9. brakel2 profile image72
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

My views dropped as I reported earlier. 20 to 40 percent

10. Isabella Snow profile image86

Just to be clear, my question concerning a possible earnings glitch for Aug 20 and 21 has nothing to do with any changes in traffic. If anyone experienced a traffic drop they perceive as being glitch-related, they should post it in the "traffic" forum so HP staff will definitely see it.

11. moonlake profile image82
    moonlakeposted 11 years ago

I also saw my earnings drop. I was a little surprised I have never seen this happen before with that kind of adjustment. I don't make a lot but my earnings had gone up on a day when I had more traffic than usual and suddenly I get on this morning and the earnings for Aug 20 has dropped. I watched my traffic on Aug 20 through Google analytics go up. I keep it on my desk top so I see it happening when it happens.  Commented to my husband that it pays to get more traffic because my earnings went up. Surprise, surprise I get on this morning my earnings increase, GONE.

12. profile image0
    Marye Audetposted 11 years ago

I did, Isabella. It has happened before and been fixed... Hopefully it will be handled soon.

I assume you're saying that you've seen earnings posted which were later adjusted downward, and then increased again at some point after that?

1. profile image0
        Marye Audetposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sorry.... yes my earnings were posted and then decreased by about 30%.

Sorry, I'm still not clear on what you've said.

After you saw the 30% drop (and I assume you are not talking about Aug 20) did you then see them corrected later?

13. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

I'm talking about an earnings drop as well... It's just that when your ad impressions are twenty times normal, but your CPM is half normal, the earnings drop ain't minuscule!

Luckily the numbers for Aug 20 and 21 are still starred as pending. Let's hope for adjustments in the final CPM.

My stats for Aug 20 are no longer pending, and have not been adjusted. Though I would not be surprised if a notice goes up soon saying those days are still being processed.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I hope that will happen but there was another Panda update on Aug 20, and I think it hurt more of us than are posting here right now.  It just about killed me, and it happened right after I spent two months redoing every single hub.

1. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It was August 19th - http://searchengineland.com/google-pand … 9-1-131284

It killed a couple of my accounts too.

I'm fed up with all this up and down stuff. I still have untouched accounts  - s'ppose it's only a matter of time before they get hit too.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
          Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I just don't understand how they can state that sites like e-how have some high quality content. This is not a dig at their writers, but the articles are short and shallow. I don't think I've ever landed on an e-how page that offered anything different, or more in depth, than a content farm.

I know there's been some really awful crap on HP, but there is also some really detailed, in-depth and quality stuff, too. I just can't see a comparison between sites like HP and e-how.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
            paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't know about now, but when I was with e-how way-back-when, they would pick articles they really liked and generate hundreds of backlinks for them. Thus the reason for their articles outranking everyone else's.

2. IzzyM profile image86

I didn't even know we were (considered to be) a content farm until we were hit by the 'Farmer's Update' that hit content farms, later name Panda of course.

The thing about Ehow is that they do answer questions, though not in any detail at all.

Might be just the thing for today's mobile users.

14. drspaniel profile image83
    drspanielposted 11 years ago

I believe that the earnings shown for the 20th previously were earnings which hadn't properly been split 60/40. Therefore they seemed unusually higher than what we could typically expect.

Why would you think that?

I don't think that's it at all. And as I've said, the first earnings report posted for that day looked absolutely normal. What is showing now, does not.

At this point, I think it's pretty likely they will go back to what they were in the near future.

2. IzzyM profile image86

Speak for yourself. My unadjusted earnings were average compared to what I usually earn, and the downwards adjustment makes them way lower than normal.

And, as Isabella says. the asterisk is now gone, making the new lower figure final.

15. profile image0
    Marye Audetposted 11 years ago

Isabella... the 30% drop was for the 20th. In the past there were similar situations that were later resolved. drspaniel... I think you are wrong there. My earnings are pretty stable aand this is an odd drop when the traffic was actually a little higher.The earnings aren't split 60/40... the ad time is.

Got it, thanks.

2. drspaniel profile image83
      drspanielposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but our earnings are also made by our impressions on HubPages are they not? And our impressions are split 60/40 aren't they?

1. profile image0
        Marye Audetposted 11 years agoin reply to this

But the income is not... SO.... if  I make $6 in income hubpages could actually make more or less. They have ads that run 40% of the time and I have ads that run 60% of the time.  The 60 - 40 does not translate exactly into income ...

1. Lauryallan profile image70
          Lauryallanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Actually that's not really the case if you're on the HP Program. All the ads on the page (excluding amazon and ebay capsules) are HP ads 100% of the time, except for the ad unit at the very bottom of the page (the right hand ad) which shows the individual writers Google Adsense code 60% of the time.  However, it's so far down that page Adsense clicks are virtually non-existent now.

16. Isabella Snow profile image86

Wow, did I really post this thread in this forum?? Sorry, I thought it was the Hubber's Hangout... how odd...

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You did originally post in the Hangout.  The thread was moved.

17. UnnamedHarald profile image93
    UnnamedHaraldposted 11 years ago

Like the rest here, I also have experienced a drop in earnings even though my views have been good. Monday's earnings didn't change (go up) when the asterisk disappeared and the amount locked in. But I just noticed that Tuesday's-- which still are pending-- were bumped up by .06. Just FYI.

18. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years ago

There was a Panda update on Aug 20...so there you have it!

This thread has nothing at all to do with traffic.

Well, at this point I am thinking there has been strange decrease in daily earnings that does not seem to be a glitch anymore and certainly does not correlate to traffic in any way.

I would not have thought too much about it, had I not seen typical earnings for Monday drop for no apparent reason, followed by another error/correction on Tuesday and then Wednesday in line with the new earning trend.

Not much to be done about it, I suppose, and I reckon there's nothing more to say on it.

1. Anurag2008 profile image94
          Anurag2008posted 11 years agoin reply to this

The asterisks have disappeared. The sudden CPM drop is quite surprising.  I hope Hubpages team is looking into this matter.

My understanding is that the matter is closed and those numbers for Aug 20 will not be changing.

19. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

Right. This thread has nothing to do with Panda. It also has nothing to do with traffic. We're simply talking about the amount we're paid for those visitors that find our hubs. (But for what it's worth, Quantcast.com's direct measure of Hubpages's overall traffic looks exactly the same as it has all summer.)

On Aug 20 my traffic went from ~ 500 a day to 7000 a day, and the AD IMPRESSIONS went up to 4000 for that day. But the CPM dropped by over a third.

As a result, while my impressions were nearly 20 times above normal, the PAY RATE for those impressions was much lower than normal. This continued for three days --about the length of time I had inceeased traffic from a hub getting shared around by Google Plus members -- and now, my CPM is back into normal range, but my traffic has dropped almost back to where it was before.

It's like if you're selling things based on commission, and the day you sell twenty times what you usually do, your employer mysteriously drops the commission RATE by a third, so you don't get paid as mich for each sale.

With all the other dashboard glitches lately, I'm hoping this also was a bug.

1. brakel2 profile image72
      brakel2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

When I looked at Quantcast, it looked like a drop. I may not have read it correctly. I will look again. Maybe it is different now.

20. profile image0
    DigbyAdamsposted 11 years ago

Does anyone think that there might be a change in the quality of the traffic. Paul Edmondson recently suggested that Hubbers actively go after Pinterest traffic. I also had a spike on one of my Hubs from Facebook this week. Perhaps this traffic is not in the same "buying mood" or "clicking on ads" frame of mind as Google traffic.

I had the impression (and this could be wrong) that many HP advertisers were here for the branding and not necessarily purchasers. But maybe this has changed.

Just thinking out loud.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)