Weekly Topic Inspiration: Home Furnishings

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (45 posts)
  1. Simone Smith profile image86
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

Until the time came for me to furnish my first apartment, I didn’t think there was much to home furnishings. Now I know better. What advice might you share with furnishing first-timers or those looking to redecorate? Share your tips as part of this week’s Weekly Topic Inspiration challenge!

Don’t have a particular Hub in mind? Here are some search-friendly titles to consider using:
    How to Restore Furniture
    How to Build a Garden Storage Bench
    Are Hatstands Worth It?
    College Dorm Linens
    How To Give an Old Couch New Life
    Grand Home Furnishings on a Budget
    How to Maintain a Silk Bedding Set
    Where to Find Cheap Bedroom Furniture
    How to Determine Quality of Home Furnishings Online
    Wood Restoration 101
    Bedroom Linen Basics
    Leather Restoration 101
    How to Select Complete Bedding Sets
    The Best Home Decoration Stores
    Which Home Decor Online Stores are Trustworthy?
    The Best Benches with Storage
    Furniture Fixing: When to Fix and When to Toss
    Fixing Furniture 101

To create search-friendly titles of your own, follow the steps outlined in this Learning Center guide.

If you'd like to join in on this week's topic by writing a Hub, follow these steps:

1)    Stop by this week's Weekly Topic Inspiration Question.
    2)    Click the green button "answer this question".
    3)    Click the gray button below the box (leave that empty) that says "make a Hub about it."
    4)    Give your Hub a very specific title, like Easy Summer Gardening Projects for Kids or Challenging Summer Activities for Teens
    5)    Create good quality original content that hasn't been covered before.
    6)    After you publish your Weekly Topic Inspiration Hub, come back to this forum thread and post a link to your Hub with a brief description of what you wrote about and why.

For more information on the Weekly Topic Inspiration program, check out the Learning Center guide.

If you want your WTI Hub to have a shot at becoming a Hub of the Day, make sure the images are legally used and properly attributed!

1. Austinstar profile image84
      Austinstarposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh my goodness, writing for this week's topic inspiration made me want to spend money!
      http://austinstar.hubpages.com/hub/Whic … rustworthy

1. profile image0
        Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Recently, we met this guy who had a sister who just moved into her new custom home in Southern California.  She furnished her home with appliances and furniture from the East Coat.  When it came to paying for all her home furnishings, she realized that it was way way cheaper to buy online than locally.  And, she got everything that she wanted.  Something to think about!

2. MarleneB profile image92
      MarleneBposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have a lot of hats and so I chose the topic, "Are Hatstands Worth It? http://marleneb.hubpages.com/t/3306c9

1. profile image0

I wouldn't mind having a hatstand in my home, but the very few hats that I have are caps used for fishing or gardening.  I had a friend who worked retail and bought nothing but hats with the money made from her job.  No hatstand.  She displayed all of her hats on wig stands, but each of those hats were in top condition.

3. inggo profile image61
      inggoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Nice! I definitely love this topic!!

2. snakeslane profile image81
    snakeslaneposted 11 years ago

I love this topic. smile

1. Denise Handlon profile image85
      Denise Handlonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Me too...should be interesting.  smile

Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Fantastic! So glad this looks good. I was a bit worried that furnishings might sem a bit dull, but the more I look into the subject, the more I realize there is a LOT to write about!

3. livingpah2004 profile image60
    livingpah2004posted 11 years ago

I like this topic too. Looking forward to read all the entries.

4. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

I have spent years writing while on my couch, and I have come to ignore the gaping hole in the leather that was made by our puppy.  It was a pleasure to write this because the subject hit home with me.

http://arlenevpoma.hubpages.com/hub/How … h-New-Life

So many tips here! I've definitely used some of these tricks. Great advice, Arlene.

1. profile image0

Thank you, Simone!  I'm sure everyone has better things to do with their money these days than paying the high prices for furniture repair or completely going out and buying a new replacement.  One day, I will cart the couch down the street to the upholstery shop.  Until then, I'll play "hide the gaping hole in the middle of the couch."

2. MarleneB profile image92
      MarleneBposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Excellent tips. By the way, I love your pillow; it is adorable.

3. Denise Handlon profile image85

Good one, Arlene.

5. Lipnancy profile image79
    Lipnancyposted 11 years ago

Great considerations!

2. Denise Handlon profile image85

Good pointers.  Love the 'theme' idea.  smile

6. cashmere profile image76
    cashmereposted 11 years ago

Here's my take on comforters, considering winters are round the corner.
    http://cashmere.hubpages.com/hub/Buying-Home-Comforters

You've convinced me to look into duvet covers, cashmere. I had thought one was only permitted to have them with duvets, but obviously they'll prolong the life of basic comforters, too!

1. cashmere profile image76
        cashmereposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I find it much easier to cover quits and comforters with covers too because my boys tends to dirty anything on the bed so fast, its not even funny!
        I'd much rather be washing the covers than the entire comforter.
        Plus I tend to use my thick old bed-covers that get used in summers as covers by having the tailor stitch them into covers. It gives you the added option of two totally different looks when you flip them on either side and makes good recycling sense.

Nice work, chashmere.  smile

7. psdwpintegration profile image39
    psdwpintegrationposted 11 years ago

Thanks for useful tips of home improvement.

8. Trish303 profile image71
    Trish303posted 11 years ago

These are SUCH good tips, and I've seen many friends take this approach (and put together some great rooms).

Trish-your hub is fabulous with easy and practical saving tips!

9. EuroCafeAuLait profile image80
    EuroCafeAuLaitposted 11 years ago

Hi Guys,
    I love the retro look, so I did a piece on iconic furniture, minimalistic home furnishings and the Barcelona (Chaise) Lounge.  Sure learned a lot smile)  It's called "Iconic Furniture and the Barcelona Chair".

http://eurocafeaulait.hubpages.com/hub/ … Chair?done

Very coooooollllll hub!  Loved it!  lol

1. EuroCafeAuLait profile image80
        EuroCafeAuLaitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Denise big_smile  The marshmallow couch was at the Atomium, a space age-like structure (looks like an Atom) built for the 1952?? world's fair in Brussels.  You can climb inside it, there is a restaurant and "super cool and speedy" elevator.  Unfortunately, I missed it when visiting there in January.

1. EuroCafeAuLait profile image80

(the couch!)

10. Sherry Hewins profile image92
    Sherry Hewinsposted 11 years ago

My hub is about shopping for bargains on good used furniture. I love a deal, and I love vintage furniture.

http://sherryhewins.hubpages.com/hub/Wh … -Furniture

Good hub smile

2. EuroCafeAuLait profile image80

That old piece of furniture looked great, I would love to arrange my sweaters inside it!  Bet is makes a nice sound when opening and closing it, too.

11. Denise Handlon profile image85
    Denise Handlonposted 11 years ago

My hub contribution took a bit of a different path.  Not exactly furnishings, (what can you add to a bathroom except a new toilet seat)  but the importance of aesthetic appeal in the bathroom.  Here are some storage and decorating tips:

http://denisehandlon.hubpages.com/hub/B … r-Bathroom

1. watergeek profile image94
      watergeekposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You'd be surprised what you can add to a bathroom. Mine has a small gold and brown speckled marble sink counter. I bought and refinished a wooden switchplate and matching cupboard knobs and it looked really cool.

Cool--hadn't even considered that area of a room.  Yes, simple changes make a big difference sometimes.  smile

12. profile image51
    mackllinvingerposted 11 years ago

great tips ..
    thanks

smile  Thanks for reading.

13. Rosyel Sawali profile image62
    Rosyel Sawaliposted 11 years ago

Very cool hub! smile

14. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

My fine furniture needs some attention, and it looks like it's going to be this weekend!

http://arlenevpoma.hubpages.com/hub/Car … niture-101

15. donotfear profile image82
    donotfearposted 11 years ago

I just published my hub for the weekly topic.   I wrote about the easy way to give your furniture the shabby/distressed look: for dummies!!  It's my first real home furnishing project that I've actually changed the look of something.  I'm thrilled!

You can find it here:
    http://donotfear.hubpages.com/hub/How-T … mmies?done

16. Simone Smith profile image86
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

Hey everyone! Fantastic Hubs this week! Our new theme is up. The focus: customer service and satisfaction.

I hope you'll give it a go! Both on the giving and receiving end, we have all had firsthand experience with this subject and I'm sure each of us has something interesting and useful to share. wink

17. LetitiaFT profile image73
    LetitiaFTposted 11 years ago

Okay! I know I missed the deadline by two hours, but I've been working on this for longer and I've just got to post it! After all, it was the first time I participated in the weekly topic. Here goes:

Where to shop for home furnishings in France
    http://letitialicious.hubpages.com/_3d3 … -in-France

18. Ruchira profile image72
    Ruchiraposted 11 years ago

Queries about Furnishing a Child's Room? This hub has it all smile

http://ruchira.hubpages.com/hub/How-to- … hilds-Room

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)