jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (15 posts)

Matt Cutts of Google: Upcoming Penguin updates "jarring and jolting"

1. Dorsi profile image91
    Dorsiposted 4 years ago

Just great. Another Google update around the corner. Picked this up today. Don't know if this has been posted yet but certainly worth knowing about. Yuck. I lost 75% of my traffic last time.

"Take this as your official warning: the next Google ranking update is going to be big!
    The warning comes straight from the horse’s mouth, Google’s Matt Cutts to be exact, who said at the recent SES San Francisco conference that the next few updates will be “jarring and jolting” for webmasters and SEOs. He warned that the Google “engineers have been working hard,” on this update and “you don’t want the next Penguin update”. Are you quaking in your boots yet?"

Read more here: http://blog.ineedhits.com/search-news/w … 11842.html

1. tussin profile image61
      tussinposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Luckily it's only the Penguin update, which only affects sites that spam Google.  If you don't spam Google you won't get hit.  He said that the Panda updates, which look at site quality, will proceed as usual.

http://searchengineland.com/google-furt … hly-130804

2. andromida profile image74
      andromidaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Google is no more a reliable source of traffic.We should concentrate more on Bing, which is giving me more and more traffic each month.

3. WriteAngled profile image92
      WriteAngledposted 4 years ago in reply to this

He sounds like a 10-year-old class bully shooting his mouth off.

What a pathetic situation has been allowed to develop that the (lack of) quality of search results, not to mention the livelihoods of thousands and thousands of people depend on the actions of a juvenile-minded sadist who might otherwise get his kicks from pulling wings off insects and kicking puppies and kittens.

They say bullies behave as they do to compensate for various personal deficiencies...

1. Sally's Trove profile image99
        Sally's Troveposted 4 years ago in reply to this

That's kind of an extreme assessment, but I admit, I find it attractive.

2. Mark Ewbie profile image84
        Mark Ewbieposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Perfect assessment.

3. Barbara Kay profile image85
        Barbara Kayposted 4 years ago in reply to this

WriteAngled, My thought after seeing the words that he used was "control freak." He must enjoy making people nervous. I guess that is being a bully at the same time.

2. Hestia DeVoto profile image61
    Hestia DeVotoposted 4 years ago

People who think Google is somehow going to stop making changes to their search engine are just trying to lull themselves into a false sense of security.  The search engine game itself is changing and it's going to keep changing.

http://searchenginewatch.com/article/22 … ad-Wolfram

3. Greekgeek profile image97
    Greekgeekposted 4 years ago

I wonder if they're taking aim at infographics and gratuitous guest posting next.

Any technique that's gotten overused and abused for the sake of backlink building is a target of the Penguin algorithm, and Cutts has made some noises about the spread of infographics as an overused ploy in SEO.

If and when the hammer comes down on those, there's going to be a ton of howling.

4. andromida profile image74
    andromidaposted 4 years ago

I am getting over 32% of my total traffic from Bing and Yahoo put together.

1. Sally's Trove profile image99
      Sally's Troveposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I get almost nothing from Bing and Yahoo. Do you know why you are getting this much traffic from them? And if you do, will you share?

5. Doodlehead profile image83
    Doodleheadposted 4 years ago

I am not quaking because I don't market that much on the internet.   The reason I don't market that much on the internet is that  it is not in my control.   I used to market A LOT with the internet a few years ago, when it was a lot easier...

As a sole proprietor I need a known result from my marketing efforts.   I put the bulk of my effort through another marketing venue.   I only market on the internet when I have a  bit of time or energy to spare.

The net result, GOOGLE...is that I DON'T SPEND MONEY TO MARKET MY OWN STUFF (my main business through Google.   Eight years ago I make big profits with it.   Today I don't bother.

Take THAT, Google.   I can't compete with the Fortune 500 budgets.   I can have a website, but as far as paying for Adsense or Adwords, forget it.

I think there are others like me as well.   There are plenty of ways to market without using Google.
    I would like to use it,but I can't keep up with them.

6. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 4 years ago

I guess Google doesn't care what it has as long as people pay? I'm tired of getting OLD ,outdated material in the search results.

7. Doodlehead profile image83

You got it right.
    That's all they want.
    There customer service is  non-existent.
    All they care about is the bottom line.

8. Doodlehead profile image83

Sorry--I meant "their"