SUGGESTION: BLOCK Ehow Spark Scraper

1. tussin profile image61
    tussinposted 4 years ago

eHow Spark is a new Pinterest knock off that allows users to "pin" images and text from websites.  (Pinned text is converted to an image). However, unlike Pinterest, there is no link back to the original source of the image or text. (I created an account and tested it myself.) eHow Spark users are essentially scraping other websites' content for the sole benefit of eHow.

Since we have the option to block Pinterest, could we also have the option to block eHow Spark?  According to eHow's own helpdesk page, it simply means adding a short meta tag: … my-website

2. MickiS profile image93
    MickiSposted 4 years ago

Let me clarify a few things so that you understand my response.

It's not a "scraper." It's people who are collecting content from around the web--like on Pinterest. That is, real people doing real collecting versus a scraper that is an automated machine doing something.

It does have a back link to the original content. The image itself is not clickable, but under the image is the URL to the source.

As for Pinterest, it's quite a significant traffic driver and we believe that backlinks from Pinterest are valuable. I would actually advise you to not remove the Pinterest button from your Hubs.

My response:
    Since we display a Pin It button on Hubs, we give you a control to not display our Pin It button. Since we do not provide a button on our site for people to Spark things on eHow, we can not provide a control for you to remove said button.