jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Move From Squidoo

1. russkeith profile image78
    russkeithposted 4 years ago

I currently have 40 how to draw tutorials on Squidoo and at present I'm very unhappy with Squidoo. One of my tutorials got removed for being duplicate content. Although it is all original art and content I believe this will become a reoccurring problem as I add more tutorials. I would like to move everything to HubPages. How long would my content need to be removed from Squidoo before I could republish here on HubPages?
    Below is a picture of my removed tutorial.

1. WryLilt profile image86
      WryLiltposted 4 years ago in reply to this

That's cute!

Your content on Squidoo would need to be de-indexed (once you unpublish it, that can take anywhere from a day to a fortnight, depending when Google recrawls the pages).

How old are the tutorials? Remember you'll be losing any age and backlinks if you transfer them. Not that I'm saying you shouldn't - I don't like Squidoo's payment system and would not consider any serious writing there.

2. Jila777 profile image80
      Jila777posted 4 years ago in reply to this

You're very talented. You should have your own website. Like Tussin said, you can do short hubs and back link to your own site. Also, you could do short YouTube videos and link to your own site for more traffic. Have you considered doing how-to draw eBook tutorials and upload them for sale on clickbank?

3. waynet profile image47
      waynetposted 4 years ago in reply to this

In all honesty it is best to create your own website for them....You control what happens to that content on your own site and you can write as much or as little content as you want....If you have your heart set on publishing here at Hubpages then prepare yourself to constantly update them over time to keep them in the search engines or even if they get a few hits or views a day then that's up to you.....De-indexing can't take 48 hours to a week sometimes, so bare that in mind!

2. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 4 years ago

Two things to consider:

If your tutorials consist mostly of pictures and don't have more than 500 words, you might find they either don't do that well here or they wind up marked substandard. 

Also, if your tutorials use any of the same wording, enough of that in the content and you'll trip the automated filters for having duplicated content.

I have both Hubs and lenses, and I find the writing standards here to be more strict.  Not to mention the linking rules, which are way more strict.

3. tussin profile image61
    tussinposted 4 years ago

Russ, your stuff is really cute and frankly I think it would be a shame and a waste to post all of it on a revenue sharing site. Especially when issues like "quality" and "duplicate content" are decided by algorithms rather than actual people.  You will have more control over the formatting, ads, and content if you put most of them on your own web property, not to mention you won't have to give a cut to the owner.   Save a few tutorials to post on Hubpages and Squidoo so that you can make backlinks to your own website.

4. Norman Stein profile image60
    Norman Steinposted 4 years ago

You are so much better off getting your own site, not only do you have total control over it but you'll never have to answer to anyone.

Being that you do illustrations/pictures with relatively little text I think you'll be encountering the 'duplicate content' problem more and more often as you publish more content. 

If you go with your own site I think you could use sites like tumblr/pinterest/squidoo to backlink it with much success as they're tailor made for pictures.

You could use the free wordpress platform and use somebody like hostgator at $10 a month to host it.  If you feel you can make more than that per month I'd go for it.

My site, featuredcontentonline is a wordpress site on hostgator and my earnings more than cover what I'm paying.

As Tussin said, I think you'll be facing an uphill battle to get your work published with all this panda/penguin stuff going on.

5. 62
    mackllinvingerposted 4 years ago

wow I think you master..