jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)

SUGGESTION: Allow "Justify" text in hubs so they look professional

1. Christine Miranda profile image89
    Christine Mirandaposted 4 years ago

Maybe its my OCD but when I look at a hub, or website that doesn't justify the text so that the columns are even on both sides (think columns in a newspaper or magazine) it looks messy and unprofessional.

If we were allowed to Justify the text in each text box or if the HubPages had a default setting of "Justify" text everyone's hubs would look much more professional.

For those who write poems or other types of content that don't want it justified they could uncheck the box. I think more hubs would benefit than not.

1. Greekgeek profile image97
      Greekgeekposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Oddly enough, a lot of usability studies have been done on the web which show that justified text is harder to read, slowing down regular readers and causing real problems for visually impaired and dyslexic readers.

That's why you will almost never find justified text on any major news sites, online magazines or professional journals, and why government handbooks and "best practice" web design guides recommend ragged-right margins.

Christine Mirandaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Greek, thanks for the info. It must definitely be the OCD in me because its the first thing my eyes jump to when I go to a site. Time to up my meds maybe??? lol JK. Maybe some OCD computer geek can create a download that will automatically change it for us? I am a long time speed reader and have never had a problem with 'neat' edges slowing me down. How interesting.

1. jacharless profile image79
          jacharlessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You rang?

cool   Hello? I need an OCD button for my computer that allows me to line up all content in a straight, even line on both edges of the columns, pages, etc.  lol

1. jacharless profile image79

Easy, peesy.

CSS File:

In-page {header}:

The max-width defines the spacing parameters while margin-right pushes all the text flush when the text is justified. That will cost you a Dead Eye Espresso, please. big_smile

James.

2. MickiS profile image94
    MickiSposted 4 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion, Christine.

Thanks for the answer, Greekgeek.
    That's exactly how I would respond.

Thanks, Jacharles for giving Christine
    a workaround so as to not up the
    med.

Christine, I tried very, very, very
    hard to make my response lines
    all be the same width. so as to
    nearly appear justified. :-D

LOL. thank you Micki

Jacharles: you're talking latin. smile

2. jacharless profile image79

Lol. No problem.
      How weaver, somebody still owes me a quadruple espresso big_smile

James

3. timorous profile image92
    timorousposted 4 years ago

Hey Christine, what you need is some kind of browser plug-in that would automatically justify all paragraph text (with the ability to switch it off, of course). I don't know of any such thing... Any javascripters willing to have a go..?

GreekGeek is right about the ragged right margins. This only applies to online reading. Print media still uses justified lines, although I'm seeing fewer books with even right edges these days as well...must be a trend. neutral

working