How to Get Traffic ~ This thread fulfills my Good-Deed-For-The-Year

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (29 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

I hope that the No-Good-Deed-Goes-Unpunished rule does not apply here...

Google keeps tossing me $100 AdWords coupons. When you get one, don't ignore it.

I quite simply create ads directing visitors to my hubs.

I set my ad price at one cent. No more. No less.

The visitors roll in. Referral trackers and all.

Do not engage in arbitrage. Whatever your ad promises, your hub must deliver. In spades.

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I keep meaning to do that. Other ways to get traffic:

-Write something extremely controversial and well researched on a current issue.
      -Use Made For Pinterest images.
      -Write titles based on what you think people who want to read your content will type into Google.
      -Don't stress about traffic till your content is 9 months old.

paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, WryLilt!

2. GA Anderson profile image89
      GA Andersonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

OK, go ahead and make fun of me, but I must be confused.

How does that get you any traffic? Google wants to place the most expensive ads it can, where ever it can, because that's how they make money. They would never insert a 1 cent ad in a spot they can put a $1  ad in.

Why would they even consider your ads if it would make them less than a penny per ad?

Unless of course the keywords you target are so useless that a 1 cent bidder is the high bidder. Which of course would mean no one else wants them because nobody searches for them.

I have also used that coupon, but it only lasted a day or two. I placed a $2 max bid on my keywords ad, (most were placed as high bid in the 90 cents - $1.41 range) - and they were used up quickly. As mentioned, I think just a day or two. Maybe I did not understand what I was doing and could have gotten more placements for the $100.

Follow-up with analytics was unable to determine if there was any residual traffic or links from the ad effort. (I did not use the ads for HP)

Your idea is not a bad one - everyone should use that coupon. You can set your maximum campaign costs to the value of the coupon. That way when Adsense has spent your budget - it stops entering your ad into the bid pool, and it does not cost you anymore money.

It was just the 1 cent thing that I don't understand. Did your Adsense campaign report actually show any winning ad bids at 1 cent?

GA

I like you. It works. I do not know or otherwise attempt to explain it.

3. Trish303 profile image72
      Trish303posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks For the Idea smile

2. paradigmsearch profile image60

40 minutes... I was kind of hoping that other traffic tips would be posted here...

3. Millionaire Tips profile image92
    Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years ago

That is a very clever idea. How is that working for you?

4. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

Are you going to explain how you get those coupons or was your good deed just to make us have to still do work? smile

I assumed I was on their radar because of my AdSense. account. However, after thinking about it, I think the last one was because I opened a Gmail account.

1. peeples profile image94
        peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hmm, I have never recieved one through my adsense. I just opened a gmail but never check it, maybe it's time to start! Thanks!

5. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 11 years ago

I've never used an Adwords coupon yet. Google kept sending me them in Spanish, because I lived in Spain and I'm still associated there, and I couldn't read them to see what to do! I speak fluent Spanish, but I neither read nor write the language.

I wish they would give us the option, when we live abroad, to receive communication in English.

All the big companies do that - bought an Epson printer from AmazonUK and had it shipped to Spain, and now Epson keep sending me follow up emails in Spanish! Why do they not have a language option?

Tough town, the internet. lol

6. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 11 years ago

I have a $50 dollar adwords coupon, I didn't know what to do with it until now, thanks, PDS. I am so fick!

Sometimes the internet really does hand out free gifts. big_smile

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
        Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not free, gift when I purchased domain. But will attempt to use now anyway. smile

I am directly soliciting you to post your domain name link. That means it is OK to do so. What is it?

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60

I have two. The first you have visited, the second, for which I received the coupon, does not have any content yet. But soooon, she says with baited breath.

<link snipped, share your links privately if you wish to do so.>

1. WriteAngled profile image75
              WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I note Google is placing highly relevant (sarcasm!) video ads on your blog:

"Roast Beef Platter
              Watch Marco make Delicious Roast Beef with Beetroot & Horseradish"

1. wilderness profile image95
                wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

LOL  That's par for the course, isn't it?  It's not just sometimes you have to wonder about Google - it's ALL the time!

2. Hollie Thomas profile image60

Yes, I'd noticed. lol I'm just so useless that I haven't worked out how to get rid of them. (I believe this can be done) I need to read those unbelievably boring Google help pages *procrastinates* like never before.

7. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 11 years ago

Hmmm.  Maybe I'd better start actually reading those emails I get...

Thanks, Paradigm!

8. paradigmsearch profile image60

Random PSA bump.

9. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 11 years ago

One of the 60DC Hubs was on using an Adwords Voucher.

Back then the HubPage design had way to many distractions in the sidebar and wasn't necessarily the best landing page for using Adwords even if it was a "free" Voucher. The new design makes for a much better landing page.

Just one thought ... regarding arbitrage, if you are bidding on one cent clicks in Adwords and hoping for larger clicks at Hubpages - that is the very definition of arbitrage.

Luckily, arbitrage is not officially disallowed.

Of course you could just be enjoying some HP impressions or trying to sell Amazon/eBay items - cant imagine many commercial terms are coming through at 1ct though.

I have something like $4000 USD in those damn vouchers on my desk right now, shame I cant use them myself! I have been giving them away on my Facebook Business page on random fridays.

Those vouchers will come in the mail if you create a google places/+ page, set up a google account, webmaster tools, they are offered if you buy a hosting account etc etc.

They are really easy to get - it is funny so many people let that free money get by. I was surprised many times by HubPages authors who might turn $100 in 9 months yet never took the iniative to experiment with those $100 Vouchers for adwords ($50 Facebook ones are real easy to come across also)

1. LeanMan profile image80
      LeanManposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have set up google accounts, webmaster tools etc etc but have never once received a voucher... am I in a minority??

1. sunforged profile image70
        sunforgedposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I believe your last two mailing addresses are undesirable markets.

If you have any US presence, Ill hand you off a voucher code any time you want.

10. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 11 years ago

Crap, I wish I'd seen this post earlier. I got one of those $100 AdSense coupons in the mail a couple of days ago and canned it cuz I didn't think I had any use for it. Sigh.

1. viryabo profile image94
      viryaboposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Received these about 3 times in the past, worth a couple of hundred pounds but always leave them hanging around, then dump them eventually.

11. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
    LuisEGonzalezposted 11 years ago

I currently have a Google coupon for 100 and will put your practice into work. However, I have joined two photography forums and have seen traffic increase. I use those that let insert a link into your signature
    They are Canon Digital Forums and Photography Forum & Digital Photography Forums.
    At the very least they provide very good backlinks

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)