jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (21 posts)

SUGGESTION: close forum threads started by banned users

1. relache profile image86
    relacheposted 4 years ago

When a user gets banned, they are no longer able to actively communicate with other site members in the forums, so it seems sensible that threads they started then get closed to further reply. 

This would also be useful in instances where people go on a persona spree to circumvent a ban and come back and spawn lots of hateful threads just to rant at everyone.  Closing the threads would close down all the counterattacks and reverse name-calling much more quickly.

1. Michael Willis profile image79
      Michael Willisposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Agree 100%! What good does a Ban do when the user is right back at it again under another name?

2. rebekahELLE profile image90
      rebekahELLEposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Agree.  Recently there have been way too many and people keep responding to a thread of which the OP is not active.  Please, enough.

2. profile image0
    summerberrieposted 4 years ago

Great suggestion!

1. paradigmsearch profile image85
      paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

But then what would I do with all the popcorn I bought?

relacheposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Make holiday garlands, take lots of pictures while doing so and then put up a great Hub about it.

1. Shanna11 profile image92
          Shanna11posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hahaha!

I totally agree. I dislike seeing all those threads clutter up the forums and I'm always unfortunately tempted to respond, even though I shouldn't.

2. Healthy Pursuits profile image89
        Healthy Pursuitsposted 4 years ago

Great suggestion. It would close the back door on some very silly ranting.

3. relache profile image86

The coming back under another name is a whole 'nuther problem, but think how quickly a troll can spawn a dozen venomous threads... and then even if they are banned quickly, those threads keep going, keeping people angry for hours or sometimes even days when really the person everyone is trying to yell at (which isn't actually helpful or useful) is gone.

Case in point, this AM's forum attack by user Grandys.  In about six hours, he started several threads just for the purpose of hating on HubPages, and although he's been banned for a little over an hour now, people are still replying to those threads and keeping that hate active.  They should be closed.

1. psycheskinner profile image80
          psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

Indeed, as should threads started by spammers.  Leaving the rest fo the thread active is just confusing,

1. tussin profile image60
            tussinposted 4 years ago

I disagree with this suggestion.  Sometimes threads started by soon-to-be-banhammered users spawn worthwhile conversations among regular users. You-know-who will eventually get bored with it all or get swallowed by a shark/alligator/manatee or whatever they have down there.

1. IzzyM profile image87
              IzzyMposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I agree with you. Sometimes threads just go their own way, and stay interesting long after the Op has departed.

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image82
                Kangaroo_Jaseposted 4 years ago in reply to this

But one cannot join and debate the hate on one of THOUSANDS of OTHER forums that ARE NOT on HubPages already ?????????

2. relache profile image86

Truly vital discussions restart themselves, it happens all the time.  But the soap-box hating wouldn't.

2. Kangaroo_Jase profile image82
            Kangaroo_Jaseposted 4 years ago

Having access to the forums after 90 days or having written 10 hubs would put a major stop to most of the sockpuppet/troll/hedgehogs that plague this place.

That angle's been brought up before, but admin is worried that new site members will be turned off by being restricted or won't be able to ask for help.

3. Phenoms profile image60
            Phenomsposted 4 years ago

This looks like a circus.

4. psycheskinner profile image80
            psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

Without immediate access to the forums I might never have felt interested enough to write more than 10 hubs, and I would have had no one to ask about the stuff I couldn't figure out.

5. relache profile image86

Here's another great example of why it would be good to close threads started by banned people.

Freud-Wise.  Profile says he's been a member for nine months.  He made five posts when he joined, then didn't do anything for nine months until this AM when he showed up and quickly started cranking out posts about forum trolling.  How he shows as banned.

What's the point of leaving open his trolling posts on trolls?!  That's not going to lead to worthwhile conversation...

1. psycheskinner profile image80
              psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I would suspect F-W is a cleverly aged sock... if i was the suspicious sort.

6. Hollie Thomas profile image60
            Hollie Thomasposted 4 years ago

After the last few days, I have become convinced that these sad little people *trolls* just love seeing their mischief making, with troll name in full view, on their computer screen. Trying to get into the mind of a troll, I imagine that they would become extremely frustrated when they open a new troll account and gone is the evidence that they ever even existed. Definitely, banned user threads should be deleted.

working