jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (29 posts)

How on earth do I format a poem, especially using my DUHroid to write?

1. stanwshura profile image69
    stanwshuraposted 4 years ago

I can't skip to the next line - woe is me!  'Tis quite the pain when po'try is your muse.   I've 'bout giv'n up to tell the truth - yes really!  I try to spacebar lines, but it's no use!  Tried also this thing you guys call the "template", but all it does is send me back to home.  Must I give up HP to techy fate?  Tenacity is all but overcome!  I've much to say, but fear I've met my match, lest some solution, please!, might someone hatch!!

1. Grandys profile image61
      Grandysposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Why do you write a poem?

stanwshuraposted 4 years ago in reply to this

To demonstrate the format DISASTER that results when I attempt to do so on HP.  Seriously???  Do you actually have some useful technical input?

No, I was just asking why do you write a poem?

...and I answered your question, even as you didn't answer mine.  Why do you end statement with question mark?

Was there an answer? Ok, tough issue maybe. Because a question requires a question mark, so.

Uh oh.  You're brand new to HP, so I apologize for that  last rather snarky reply.  But the formatting issue DOES frustrate me to no end!

2. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

I don't see the problem, you can add hard returns

anywhere

you

li

ke

Uggggggggh!!!!!!!   PEOPLE!!!!!!  CAN YOU PUH-LEEEEEEEEEZE *****provide some instruction in a linear, step by step, "do this, then write your first line, then hit ()...", explaining any obscure jargon such as "hard return", OOOOOOOOOORRRR..."Sorry, man.  You really can't do proper word processing on an Android....".

Oh look!!!!!   It works in the forums but not for the *PRIMARY* purpose of this site??

D
      U
      M
      B
      !
      !
      !

3. psycheskinner profile image81

It works the same in hubs.  I genuinely am not sure what problem you are having. You press the hard return button (normally marked "enter" on the keyboard) and start on a new line. Just like you did in your post.

On my SmartassPhone DUH-roid, the QWERTY keypad has an "OK" button, above it a key with an arrow that points a path down and to the left, and below the to the left of the "OK" key are the triangles-pretending-to-be-arrows keys (the most acute angle "pointing" up, left, right and down.  The "down" key does nuthin'......

Guess it's Helium, AC (oh, 'scuse me "Yahoo Voicess"), Bukisa, Blogspot, TIBU2, et cetera until I find ONE where the piece of $!#% phone actually works!    Grrrrrrr......

4. paradigmsearch profile image89
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

Use the html editor. Replace the "/p" with "br" as appropriate.

Thanks for some detail, but I have no idea what you're saying.  What/where/how much $/what do I do to find, and find a source that explains how (in non-jargon English) to use this "html editor"?  What does "/p" mean?  What does "br" mean?

I know how to write with words.  I don't know how to write code or understand it.  I know binary as a concept, but I don't know any techy stuff until I take a HIGHLY verbalized, VERY detailed, IMPECCABLY LINEAR AND LOGICAL class with TONS of after-hours, expert-supervised lab hours.

I need every little step explained, with NO assumption of ANY prior knowledge.  Thanks.

-stan

1. paradigmsearch profile image89
        paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Classes have just started at your local community college. With any luck, it's still not too late to  sign up.

I'm gonna cry and then who KNOWS!!!!!!!!   Sorry...had issues with certain asshole bullies in blue who didn't like a freak like me around.  No crime.  No nuisance.  Just, well, atypical.  That and $$ are serious problems.
          Thanks, though, ps.  Normally that would have been a very good and useful idea.

5. tussin profile image61
    tussinposted 4 years ago

If you're having too much trouble using a smart phone to write hubs, just use a proper computer. I don't get why you're putting yourself through that hell, unless suffering helps you create better art.

Do not own one.  sad

1. psycheskinner profile image81
        psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

$50 can get you an adequate used netbook off ebay.

2. paradigmsearch profile image89

Do some comparison shopping. You would be amazed at how little a desktop computer can cost.

6. psycheskinner profile image81

Perhaps you can ue this, it's free and puts the return key back on.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … m.jb.gosms

I installed it as directed.  As lost as ever.  No.  More so, because how can I be running this link's program AND "instruct" it to run ON/in/at/apply to/ operate within a hub in progress?

And what's all that other nonsense about chatting and that  yucky teeny bopper popular culture tech-bling.  Just want to be able to press a button on my phone and have the cursor jump down like it's supposed to do...  :'(

7. psycheskinner profile image81

Ultimately it's your gizmo.  Go to the store and have someone show you what to do. Or get a different gizmo.

Seriously considering it.   Too worn of this type of expectation of nonverbal understanding of everything.  Was not treated respectfully at all AT THE VERIZON STORE IN HANOVER, MA ON RTE 53 **ACROSS FROM THE HANOVER,  MALL!**.   No manual in hard copy to take with me that I can hold in my hands and the only technical evolution I need is opposable thumbs by which to turn the pages...directly to the index without which, of course, it would be perfectly useless.     "Just go to the verizon website and find the online manual."

Sure, I'll just go right to google and type "verizon website" and it will take me directly to the indexed, page numbered, 10pt font (AT LEAST), printable in vertical 8.5x11" standard copy.

So TIRED of my incomplete, misfiring brain, and an NT world that expects a good writer to "just pick up on" everything else. 

Sorry, folks.  Just getting sick of the fight, and I take it VERY badly and personally when "normal" so called "common sense" life stuff that my disabilities specifically impair effects my bright spots:  writing, piano, math, kids.   Anyway, thank you all for trying to help.  The mountain wins again.

1. paradigmsearch profile image89

As to "major visual-processing deficits", if applicable, and just in case you didn't already know...smile

Ctrl+ enlarges your browser text, etc.

Ctrl- makes it smaller

Ctrl 0 (zero) sets back to "normal"

I use it all the time. smile

Those sound like they help an acuity problem, not vpd.  I AM capable of "seeing", although astigmatic in both eyes, moderate to severely myopic in right eye  (about -2.75 lens) and severely so in left (-3.5 lens) and do not do well with poor/little color contrast (and to me, orange and red are POOR contrast - again, though, I think that's acuity always improves with new lens 'scrips - as do the "headlight spiderwebs" lol). 

VPD, for your info, has more to do with how well, accurately and quickly your BRAIN processes visual stimuli (find the different figure, notice things in your periphery, able to notice and remember something you see while dead focused (like I HAVE to be) when looking for something specific.  Poor poor poor poor ability to process multiple visual inputs, lower than average "visual vocabulary/intelligence).  I knew a poodle was a dog, but in SEVENTH grade (during some outlining exercise) I had to explain that the assignment was too difficult - not the objective, but the subject matter.  She SCOFFED at me when I, near tears from frustration, I had to squeak out that "no, I *don't ("even"!!!!!) know what a poodle looks like.  Had heard the name many times.  Had seen many different poodles over time.

BUT!!!!  No one could be BOTHERED to connect the dots for me!!!!!     EVERYTHING must be paired with its word for me to understand, process, or sometimes even PERCEIVE IT!   That, and being *very* literal in "operative" (real) time especially.  Hey, I write poetry!  I know what a metaphor is, and have an instinct for analogies.   But in real time, you best tell me turn onto Blech Avenue.  If I see a sign reading BLECH Street, I'll drive right by it as matter-of-factly as if driving past Bubbles Boulevard!  My brain demands absolute truth and precision to move to the next step in anything.
          But those ctrl functions WILL be useful...and often.d   Having to switch glasses whenever I transition to or from close work (reading, computer) is quite the "p.i.t.a."!  wink  So, thank you very much!

8. psycheskinner profile image81

Some kinds of smartphone I can use, some I can't.  I think they are each intuitive to a certain type of person and infuriating to the rest.

Indeed, psycheskinner!!!  Of the behaviorist school, are ya?  Had to ask based on the obvious!  wink  Into Jung --->Myers/Briggs, myself!  And Bartok, but that's definitely heading off the trail!

1. psycheskinner profile image81
        psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes, I am out of a behaviorist background.  None of which helps explain the behavior of gizmos.

LMAO!  Damn!

working