30 Hubs in 30 Days

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (13 posts)
  1. lainelongfellow profile image61
    lainelongfellowposted 11 years ago

I like this challenge.  I just opened a new account and don't have much material, so I'm going to try to write at least 30 hubs before my one month anniversary on October 3rd.

1. WryLilt profile image89
      WryLiltposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Some of your hubs are quite short and need some work. May be an idea to throw a link or two in the Extreme Hub Makeover forum so you don't have to go back and make lots of changes later.

lainelongfellowposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You're pretty rude.  I've only been on HP for 4 days.  Have you ever thought that some people may be here to write for fun.  Not every hub needs to be a perfectly worded research paper.  I signed up for this so I could write what's on my mind, be it poetry, stories, satire, recipes, or top ten countdowns.  I am not here to make money, and I will never think I am elite enough to tell other people that their work is a waste of time.  I am here because I like to share some of my knowledge and learn from otthers.  It should be obvious which hubs are serious and which are meant as satire or are written just for fun.  Maybe other people who don't take themselves so seriously enjoy reading or writing a simple fun article every once in a while.

1. WryLilt profile image89

I was not trying to be rude, but give advice to a new member. Some of your hubs may be breaking the site rules due to low quality or other guidelines, and I'd prefer to see a new member get off to the best start possible, instead of having half their hubs unpublished in a few weeks or months.

You'll find that if you post in the forums, most members will offer advice and critique if you post in a way that refers to your hubs or future hubbing. The general assumption is that people are here to at least make a bit of pocket money, even if they do write for fun.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
          Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wry isn't being rude, she's being helpful.

The fact is, it's risky writing a lot of Hubs before you understand the rules.  If you write Hubs that get classified as "sub-standard" or "low quality", you may find they get unpublished - which is frustrating, whether you're here to make money or not.   Better to take a bit of time and learn something about how to write Hubs, before you jump in and write too many.   

I'm not saying your writing is below standard or low quality, but there are certain standards - length being one of them - which you have to watch out for.

lainelongfellowposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I just think "good luck" or "welcome to hubpages" would be more appropriate.  I did not post in extreme hub makeover.  I only posted inb this forum so I would hold myself accountable.  I was excited to have somewhere to share my writing, whether a masterpiece or just for fun, but now that I know how nitpicky some people on here are, I am almost scared to post hubs.  I feel like so many people on here are discouraging and overly critical.  I don't think my hubs are in violation, there are no typos, grammatical errors, swear words, drug references, etc...I find a lot of people on here obsess over money.  I've even seen hubs promoting items for the sole purpose of trying to make money on amazon.  I guess you two never just have a thought and want to share it for fun.  Believe it or not, the short, simple, and stupid hubs I have written get way more traffic than the short stories I spent time writing.  Would you have stayed on hubpages if someone had told you you're failing right off the bat?  And any author should know that when offering constructive criticism, you should also point out a positive attribute.  If you don't like it, don't read it.  No use getting all worked up, it's not your feelings being hurt.  People are so quick to judge when they're hiding behind a screen name.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
              Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You're quite right and we both should have welcomed you to start with, so I apologise for that.   However, it doesn't change the advice we've been giving you.  Short, simple Hubs may be fun by they're also liable to get deleted for being too short or too personal - so we're just trying to save you disappointment and frustration in the long run.   We've both been in the situation where we wrote too many Hubs upfront and then had to spend hours revising them, and we're just trying to save you from that.  Personally I'm not getting worked up about it, I'm just trying to be helpful - but it's your right to ignore the advice, of course.

2. WryLilt profile image89

Sorry, and welcome to Hubpages.

However I think the biggest mistake you're making is thinking that writing for fun and money are mutually exclusive wink I write for fun mostly and only make about $500 a month. If I wrote for money (which I know how but bores me!) I'd probably be up around $1500. But I'm still making money.

But do you really want to login to discover you need to revise 20 hubs in a month's time? It just means more work down the track, so we're trying to help you learn about the site rules - we all have to abide by them if we want our work to be published.

3. That Grrl profile image72
              That Grrlposted 11 years agoin reply to this

For someone who expects constructive criticism you might try being a lot more constructive yourself. You attacked WryLilt personally. Where no insult was given to you, no personal attack.

Watch your own attitude before you accuse others.

3. That Grrl profile image72
          That Grrlposted 11 years agoin reply to this

WryLilt wasn't rude at all. If you can't take a helpful suggestion like that you shouldn't post to the forum. Not everyone is as nice about how they offer free advice.

2. lupandiomo profile image59
      lupandiomoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I like this idea too.I mean :just have  a look at my profile- you can see I joined HP when the company was only 3 years old.Today,three years later,I am still trying to cut my teeth in hubbing  as though I were a freshman.I need to style up a bit if ever I am to make a name  for myself as one of the web content change makers of this century.I just need someone to keep me accountable throughout the journey.Thanks.Any ideas?

2. Sally's Trove profile image78
    Sally's Troveposted 11 years ago

Not to be rude, too rude, but do I sense a flamer?

lainelongfellow, you received excellent advice here, none of which was any kind of attack on you. You can benefit by that advice, or not. The folks who addressed you know what they are talking about.

Yet you come back at them with antagonism. That's your loss. Or your game.

1. hecate-horus profile image63
      hecate-horusposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree, you (Lainelongfellow) are being overly sensitive.  You can't be a good writer and not be able to take criticism.  And it was polite advice more than criticism, IMO.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)