jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

HubPages network security IT department block Spell Casters Spam

1. ptosis profile image81
    ptosisposted 4 years ago

Since IP addresses can be tracked via IT's security network, isn't there a way that these darn Spell-casters be blocked if so many of their messages are reported as spam - even though it is a guest posting?

Or perhaps for guest posters: a message from Hubpages that says: Your IP address is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and THAT is tracked.

Right now I cannot report spammer to hubpages with repeated postings of spam regarding:
    lordkalifat@gmail.com -  I had three posting yesterday on one hub that is listed under HUB category  "Relationship Problems and Advice" - an evergreen sub-section.

Once an IP address has a history of spamming - that IP address should be blocked from commenting. Maybe find out from at least which country all this voodoo spell casters are coming from.

I found zero records on lordkalifat @ http://www.stopforumspam.com/.

2. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 4 years ago

HubPages will do blocking automatically, but it only works on registered users.  Try changing the settings for he comment capsules the spammers are hitting to registered users only.

1. ptosis profile image81
      ptosisposted 4 years ago in reply to this

OK, I'll figure that one out . Thankx

"Only signed-in users may post comments"

1. Matthew Meyer profile image78
        Matthew Meyerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

We do have a mechanism to block by IP if enough people mark the comments as SPAM.  It looks like you have marked most of the comments as such, but continuing to do so for SPAM comments in the future helps to mark them for you and other users.

It appears that the system is working as designed, so I'm going to move this thread out of Bugs, but will continue to monitor it.

3. paradigmsearch profile image89
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

I got a Spell Caster just yesterday. Filter didn't catch it. I did notice that the email address wasn't hyperlinked.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image78
      Matthew Meyerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The comments are being posted from multiple IP addresses, so the only way to make the filters work is to label each as SPAM.  Once an IP is labeled by enough people, we can catch them, but there is no way to tell that a new IP is posting SPAM until it is marked.

1. paradigmsearch profile image89
        paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago in reply to this

All in all, I think the HP spam filter does a truly excellent job. smile

1. Sue B. profile image89
          Sue B.posted 4 years ago in reply to this

This was a helpful thread!

working