jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)

Google indexing delays and copied content problem.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image59
    Hollie Thomasposted 4 years ago

Unfortunately, both RedberrySky and myself have discovered that some of our content summaries have been scraped from the feed whilst they were in pending mode. I have notified HP, but you might want to check whether any of your content has been scraped.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/103092#post2195055

1. Redberry Sky profile image94
      Redberry Skyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Just to add - for mine, it wasn't while they were in pending, it was after they went featured but before they got indexed by search engines.  The scraping sites, as far as I can gather, have a feed scraper set up to grab the title, summary and first picture of all HP's 'Latest' Hubs.

2. Dame Scribe profile image60
    Dame Scribeposted 4 years ago

yikes omg, this is definitely a concern for everybody. Bump!

3. Redberry Sky profile image94
    Redberry Skyposted 4 years ago

Just to add - the Hub I was worried about has now been indexed by Google (it took about 36 hours from going into 'featured' status), and it is now ranking a couple of pages higher than the scraped content.

So I don't think it's going to be a major concern, but for anyone who has the same worries, get google to index a Hub quicker by submitting the URL in Webmaster Tools in Health>Fetch (first get it to fetch the URL, then when a green tick appears, click on the button next to it that says something like 'submit to index').  Do it as soon as a Hub goes out of 'pending' and into 'featured' status.  After I used Fetch, it took about 12 hours or so to index it.

With the delay in Google indexing the Hubs once they come out of 'pending', would it be worth HP adding the 'Fetch' instructions to the FAQ on idled/pending/featured Hubs?

Hollie Thomasposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I've been trying that but just can't seem to verify my site in order to do so.

1. Reality Bytes profile image92
        Reality Bytesposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I also tried this, Google cannot find the page.  Bing and Yahoo already have it, I did not need to do anything!  I would like to know if HP is blocking Google from seeing my page.  My hope for an answer is dwindling very rapidly!

It seems that those of us with problems since the "idle" change are being left out to dry with no explanations.

Hollie Thomasposted 4 years ago in reply to this

When I tried I was told to verify ownership of the site which of course I cannot do. Which is why I'd hoped Redberrysky, as I'm so useless at this type of thing, might be able to "Help"

1. Redberry Sky profile image94

Hollie - do you mean you're having probs verifying your site in Webmaster Tools? I think my HP subdomain linked automatically a few days after I set up the google analytics for it, but the verification process is here: http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/How- … ster-Tools

2. Redberry Sky profile image94

RealityBites - the first two times I used 'Fetch' for my Hub I had probs - I had put in the wrong URL, I had forgotten to put /hub/ before I put in the hub-name part of the URL and it gave me an error of 'not found'.  Might be worth double-checking what URL you've put in, and trying to submit it again.  Also, in the past when I've used Fetch I remember that sometimes it just comes back with an error even if the URL is right, and I've had to submit a few times until the Fetch Status says 'success' under it with a green tick, and then clicking the 'submit' to index' (or something like that) next to that, so that it changes to 'URL submitted to index'

working