jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

SUGGESTION: Deactivate links contained in fan mail.

1. profile image0
    writeronlineposted 4 years ago

With the recent restrictions placed on links within the new format profile, it seems incongruous (to me) that Hubbers are able to include an active link back to their own profile, within fan mail sent to others.

I know it's easy enough to deny the comment, but I don't think people necessarily include links 'maliciously' - (though I certainly wouldn't do it), and a denial risks conveying a lack of appreciation at receiving fan mail - certainly not so in my case.....

At the same time, I don't want my fan mail to be a launching spot to the profiles of others, with unrestricted links that serve no beneficial purpose to me. 

This is not a big deal, but if it's easy to eliminate, I'd be pleased to see it gone.

2. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 4 years ago

I'd gladly second that suggestion.

3. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 4 years ago

The idea of fan mail is to praise the writer, not yourself. Their name links to their profile if I want to click it. Asking for a followback is rude and I delete them all.

1. profile image0
      writeronlineposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I agree with you, WryLilt, the facility is there already by clicking on the name, and I also suspect most 'fanmail' with a 'follow me back' request is actually more about building followers (why..?) than recognising and acknowledging  the recipient's work. What I'm talking about goes a step further though and includes a separate active html link back to the profile. Which presumably could have the kind of negative effect that caused (enabled..?) HP to ditch html links most of us thought important. Like I say, it's probably not a big deal, beyond poor form. But....?

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 4 years ago in reply to this

A lot of people think followers equal money which is entirely untrue.

4. MickiS profile image82
    MickiSposted 4 years ago

Great suggestion, and such poor behavior on the part of the fan mail leaving Hubber. Certainly not a behavior that we endorse.

Let me look into this and see if it's an easy change. Stay tuned.

1. MickiS profile image82
      MickiSposted 4 years ago in reply to this

In the meantime, I would suggest not approving that fan mail. They'll still be following you.

1. profile image0
        writeronlineposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hi Micki, thanks for the acknowledgement. Like I said, it's not a huge deal, but does seem like a mechanism we'd all be better off without. I will deny that fan mail, in fact I only approved it in case you wanted a quick reference for your engineers... and it's as accessible as visiting my profile page..
        Haha, now you'll think I'm spamming YOU. But I'm not, really... smile

1. MickiS profile image82
          MickiSposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for leaving it up. I did manage to screen shot it before you removed it. :-)

I looked into this more and we currently use the same mechanism on the backend as comments on Hubs. To make a long story short, it's not quite so straightforward to prevent this, but I will see what we can slip in.

working