jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Weird HubPages survey pops up; virus?

1. ChaplinSpeaks profile image96
    ChaplinSpeaksposted 4 years ago

Today when I signed into my HP account, a weird survey popped up asking questions about how many times a month I visit HP.  It said I could win a prize if I answered survey and it showed pictures of other winners.  There was also a countdown at the top of the screen.  I did nothing and it all disappeared.  Afterwards, when I open one of my published hubs, I see certain phrases highlighted in red and underlined twice.  When I scroll over, I see a link to another site!  Blinks in and out and I have not yet caught it to write down the link!  Anyone have any clue what is going on?
    Okay, just caught a link - it is to some Yellow Moxie site.
    Now thinking this could be a virus on my computer, but just wanted to post here in case it is something on HubPages.  Thanks!

2. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

I've seen other posts about this. You are right. It is not HP's doing.

One poster said he solved the problem by getting rid of his browser add-ons.

Another option is to empty your browser cache and temp files.

1. ChaplinSpeaks profile image96
      ChaplinSpeaksposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks!  I just found that it is a computer virus called ilitili.  What a pesky little thing!

1. cascoly profile image60
        cascolyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

i've seen the same things - REALLY annoying popups that ONLY appear on HP ansd often grab text from HP