jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (16 posts)

Resolved: Definitive Guide on Writing Hubs That Won't get ZZZ

1. janderson99 profile image85
    janderson99posted 4 years ago

How about a very detailed guide on how people should stop wasting their time and how to write hubs that won't get ZZZ? This would need to include ways to guarantee traffic, 'no no' topics, quality aspects minimum capsule and variety counts, and other things that are used to identify which hubs get ZZZ. The learning center recovery advice only provides vague advise about 'quality'. Clearly this may be a temporary reprieve if the hub can't meet the traffic test.

1. wavegirl22 profile image46
      wavegirl22posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Have you thought of taking part in the Apprenticeship Program?

1. psycheskinner profile image81
        psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Many apply, few are chosen.

2. janderson99 profile image85
        janderson99posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Too old! I have 610 hubs!
        It is interesting that many of the 'a' people have complained that their hubs have been ZZZ , even ones that were featured as great examples. Getting traffic and keeping it is tough, very tough. I think that the new trend will be writing to a formula with moderate quality as there is an expectation that many hubs will fail to get traffic. Writing a 3000 word hub with video, 10 images, poll, tables as a reference may be a waste of time if there is not a vacant niche that will generate traffic. Ultimately the only hubs that won't be put to sleep are those that get more than one view every two days or so. The notion that quality hubs will attract organic links and build traffic over time has been squished by HP putting them to sleep after 6 months, or if they get stale!!!! So we need definitive advice from HP on what they are looking for.

2. MickiS profile image83
    MickiSposted 4 years ago

There are lots of resources in the Learning Center for how to write quality Hubs. There is a whole section dedicated to Getting Traffic (which starts with "Elements of a Stellar Hub") as well as Online Writing Tips.

Hubs are made idle when they are out of date, need editing, or are suffering from a lack of interest.

It is interesting that the advice puts emphasis on "evergreen" - a notion that has probably withered due to the 'freshness' test. Bit like when happens to the Ents.
      Cheers,

1. MickiS profile image83
        MickiSposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Tolkein reference very much appreciated. Le hannon. ;-)

Aa' lasser en lle coia orn n' omenta gurtha  - very appropriate!

Very appropriate. Tolkein didn't have words for "may your Hubs never become idle." :-D

3. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

Some of us are interested in knowing exactly what makes a hub idle.  I guess we aren't going to find out any more than exactly what contributes to a hubscore. But you can't blame people for being curious.

I started a topic on this just for fun

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/103633

2. MickiS profile image83

Psycheskinner, there isn't an "exactly" answer. Each Hub in each Topic can be very different. It can be lack of traffic, poor quality, out of date, lack of media/capsules (especially original media), poor grammar and spelling, duplicative content, and any and all combinations of the above.

Janderson99, per your comment above, it doesn't necessarily mean evergreen. You could write a great Hub on the 2012 Presidential Election that people are very interested now, but a year from now it's out of date and no one is interested. By fall of 2013, it should be idle.

4. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

Assuming it is an automated system there must be an exact answer, just one that is multi-factorial and possibly a bit complicated.  I can live with not knowing, but I don't think asking about it is illogical.  Just nosey.

Not even nosy. Great question that you are right to ask.

5. wavegirl22 profile image46
    wavegirl22posted 4 years ago

janderson99 -

Do you ever watch your traffic in 'real time" on the Google Analytics Reports?

6. 2uesday profile image86
    2uesdayposted 4 years ago

Seasonal hubs use to be a good idea. Now, I am guessing that when their season is done until next year they will fall idle. By seasonal I use the word not just to mean Christmas and Halloween etc. but the wider term as in travel and things related to the seasons of the year. Not sure how one stops a seasonal based hub dropping of the radar

working