jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Resolved: Improvement on current recipe feature

1. Novel Treasure profile image85
    Novel Treasureposted 4 years ago

A lot of recipes are no bake or don't require any cooking time. I think for the recipe time capsule there should be an option for refrigerate or something other than cook time because it can be misleading. I wrote a recipe that doesn't require any cook time but it does need time to refrigerate before serving.

Part of the draw of recipes is having no cook time, so I ended up putting it in my prep time but that my detract some readers to try the recipe thinking it takes longer to prepare than it really does. Having a prep time of 1 hour, versus having a prep time of 30 minutes, and chill for 30 minutes is a lot more appealing.

So if you can come up with a way to allow us to illustrate refrigeration or even set time, rather than just cooking time. I think that would be a wonderful addition.

2. MickiS profile image94
    MickiSposted 4 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion, Novel Treasure, but it's not actually possible to do that. The Cook Time capsule is our way of allowing you to add standard markup for search engines to make sense of recipes (and the structured data they contain).

As such, the current Internet standard is 'cook' time.

Here's more on micro-formats for search engines, if you are interested:
    http://support.google.com/webmasters/bi … wer=173379

I will also add that 'cook,' in the culinary world, does not mean making something with heat. Peruvian ceviches 'cook' by soaking in lime juice, no-bake cookies and gelatins 'cook' by refrigeration, and so on. So, you can use cook time to reflect the time that a recipe must sit in order to be ready. In your example, a refrigeration time = cook time of 30 minutes.

1. Novel Treasure profile image85
      Novel Treasureposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thank you for taking the time to answer and for the link on the information on micro-formats. I learned quite a bit from that link.

Also, I found your statement about "cook" and what it can mean very interesting. So much so, that I'm toying with the idea of writing a hub about what "cook" means in different languages or to different people. Thanks for the idea!! : )

1. MickiS profile image94
        MickiSposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Oh, that'll make a great Hub! Look forward to seeing that one.