jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (11 posts)

Over promotional putting profile as source of own images on hubs?

1. luisj305 profile image86
    luisj305posted 4 years ago

I have never done it before but on my latest hub I attributed my own images with a link to my profile page. Will this benefit or will it hurt me?  I know they are counted towards the overly promotional links on a hub so I thought I should get a few opinions.

Should I just leave image source blank if they are my own pictures or put something else besides a link to my profile page?

1. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I can't say for sure that it will cause you any trouble, but if you're concerned, maybe you could put your name in the 'Source Name' field rather than linking to your profile page.  smile

luisj305posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Well, I guess I won't be sure if it causes a negative effect unless I leave it like that for a while and see the results. I have yet to run into someone who has done it this way, so I think I will do just that. I'll check on the status within a couple of weeks and if it's underperforming, I will consider the profile linking as the reason. Then I will take your advice, and change it around. Thanks Motown2Chitown.

1. profile image0

My pleasure.  You'll get better advice from others, though, because the majority of the photos I use aren't mine.  Legal...lol  Just not mine.

2. diyomarpandan profile image60
      diyomarpandanposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Deleted

I like linking to related hubs by other authors within my own hubs. Since I add my tracker it helps us both out. Not wanting to be over promotional I keep it at 1 or 2 max.
        Thanks for the correction, Diyomarpandan. This week at least 20 hubbers will get an inbound link from me.

2. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 4 years ago

I have 200 hubs with an average I guess of ten own photos per page linked to my profile as the source.

No problems.

Whether there is any point in doing it I don't know.

In the past I have tried linking out to my blog or website but I hit the two, or three, links limit fairly quickly.

1. profile image0

Hi, Mark Ewbie.  Good to see you, bud.

2. luisj305 profile image86

Great, then it likely has no negative effect, perhaps a positive one. I'll look at it as a good way of linking to my profile. Thanks for letting me know Mark Ewbie.

BTW, I like the stick drawings. Simple and creative.

3. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 4 years ago

Normally that URL in the attribution is to allow a reader to see the original and to check that it is not stolen.

Is the original photo on your profile to see?  With a license (or denial) of permission for use by others?

I don't see it as a problem, but don't see any gain either, and it does not serve the purpose of the attribution.

Hi Wilderness, the original photo is on my profile under the recent images, but not with a license or denial of permission.

I really don't know how I would even go about having a license for my photos. I'll have to search about it to find out how it works.

2. Marketing Merit profile image86
      Marketing Meritposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I've been wondering about the need to attribute my "own work" photo sources as HubPages prefers attribution...naturally.

In the absence of a suitable image I will specifically create my own but purely for use on HP.  I have no need to publish this image anywhere else. Surely a copyright © is all that is needed?

working