jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Difference between HubPages' Idle feature and Squidoo's WIP feature

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 4 years ago

I just read this excellent post by Greekgeek about the difference between HP's new Idle feature and Squidoo's WIP feature.

It would be great if someone from HP staff could explain why they feel HP has chosen to set it up the way they have done.
    http://greekgeek.mythphile.com/2012/09/ … xperiment/

1. diyomarpandan profile image59
      diyomarpandanposted 4 years ago in reply to this

1. Marketing Merit profile image82
        Marketing Meritposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I've been waiting almost 3 days for one of mine to go live!!

I only just discovered that if you re-edit before it moves out of idle status the 24 hours starts afresh!

I'm all for good quality hubs but the wait is extremely frustrating.

2. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 4 years ago

What Greekgeek isn't mentioning in her review is that if you are a GIant Squid, you never get the WIP status at all on new lenses.  They actually go live and stay that way because you've proved your worth.

1. Greekgeek profile image96
      Greekgeekposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Actually, relache, that's what I thought initially, but during testing I found that WIP status kicked in briefly at midnight.

By which time the new lens was already crawled by at least two different search engine bots and getting search traffic.

I have also gotten search traffic to new lenses with my remaining non-giant account.

It is confusing.

That's why I had to solicit a bunch of other Squidoo members to test it as well. (I linked to the thread where they reported their results -- in particular, see Potpiegirl's response.)

2. Greekgeek profile image96
      Greekgeekposted 4 years ago

Ergh. Speaking of confusing. Relache, after seeing your comment, I decided I'd better double-check by creating a new lens using a NON Giant account. It worked exactly the same way as my Giant lens.

Plus, it turns out that Potpiegirl and  Paul Edmondson are both mistaken about how Squidoo treats WIP status on new lenses.

I took PPP/Jennifer's word for it that once a new lens shows WIP, it's noindexed. But look here.

Compare screencaps:
      (1) Six-year old lens that's fallen into WIP, so it's not featured on that lensmaster's profile.
      (2) My newly-published lens (published 8:10PM, Google crawled at 9:08PM), not yet ranked, which has just turned from blue/featured to red/WIP on my dashboard at approximately10:40PM PST.

As you can see, despite the fact that it's flipped to WIP on the dashboard, the new lens is free of any noindex nastiness.

In sum, Hubpages nofollows/noindexes new hubs, making it impossible for them to get search traffic.
      Squidoo does NOT nofollow/noindex new lenses, making it possible for them to get search traffic.

Which is what I'd originally written on my hub discussing Idle Status, but I started second-guessing myself after Marisa called my attention to Paul's post. Apparently both he and Jennifer made the understandable mistake of trusting a vaguely-worded Squidoo FAQ to be 100% accurate.

Aha. Ahahahaha. Haaaa. smile