jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Google and the Bounce Rate

1. Dame Scribe profile image58
    Dame Scribeposted 8 years ago

I read that article interview about discussing the Buonce rate with Google. I still don't get it, lol...anybody know what that means?

2. Peter Hoggan profile image85
    Peter Hogganposted 8 years ago

A bounce is simply a website visitor who lands on a page and then leaves without visiting any other pages on that website. So, if you had 100 visitors and 33 left without visiting any other page on your site you would have a bounce rate of 33%.

Hope that helps.

3. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 8 years ago

Bounce rate is also used by some to describe how quickly that visitor leaves that one page of your site they found.

4. Peter Hoggan profile image85

relache,

That’s not entirely correct; the amount of time spent on a page only comes into play if there is a session timeout. This can sometimes happen if a visitor leaves his browser open on a page for some time, anywhere between 25 to 45 mins is normal.

5. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 8 years ago

I didn't say it was the correct usage of the term.  But is is nonetheless used by some people that way.

6. Peter Hoggan profile image85

relache

I know of many incorrect interpretations of the term which I could have provided if the original question had been 'What isn't Bounce Rate'. Sorry, but on this occasion your logic eludes me.

7. johnr54 profile image51
    johnr54posted 8 years ago

This may be the article that you are talking about.

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/ … -questions

Bottom line is that from a Google analytics standpoint, as Peter says, it's simply a single page view on a site.  On Hubpages this would include someone coming to your page and then clicking on an Adsense ad or an Amazon listing, since there is no tracking of outbound clicks on Hubpages.

What was not answered in the article was the original question, which was what impact or what kind of bounce metric may be factored into the Google ranking algorithms.  That would be a more interesting answer.

8. Dame Scribe profile image58
    Dame Scribeposted 8 years ago

Alright...thanks smile  you're all a great bunch!

9. Peter Hoggan profile image85

Personally, I don't think that bounce rate, on its own, can be weighted that heavily. A high bounce rate is not necessarily a bad thing for some pages.

working