FIXED: Can't get Google Authorship with new Hubpages Profile

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

Okay, this is why I dreaded the coming changeover -- Google authorship was working just fine under the old format, but the new profile page won't recognize my Google profile URL because I have an old Google member profile.

Which works just fine with Google authorship, but Hubpages' new profile editor absolutely refuses to recognize it.

I have tried to enter into the Google plus box:
    https://profiles.google.com/ellenbrundige
    https://profiles.google.com/ellenbrundige/
    https://profiles.google.com/ellenbrundige/about   

The first one is correct. The first one has worked for a year. The first one makes my hubs, blogs, and other articles stand out in Google results thanks to the author icon and author links.

Nevertheless, Hubpages has now disabled it and won't let me enter it:

http://squidoo.istad.org/screenshots/google-authorship.png

So, what are the magic steps to make something that wasn't broken before unbroken again?

Please don't tell me, "You have to upgrade to Google+." My Google member profile works just fine for authorship on every website, blog, and publishing platform I use -- which included Hubpages up until now. Therefore, this is an exclusive-to-Hubpages glitch.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Waiting with interest.  This was raised by Glenn Stok some time ago, what's happenin'?

2. Dale Hyde profile image80
      Dale Hydeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

When I raised this issue back when I first upgraded to the new profile, the staff answer was that once we provided the Google+ link in our profile there in the upper right, HP took care of the rest and the Google authorship is taken care of by them. 

This is how my Google+ link looks here on HP: https://plus.google.com/115613837084324061009/

I get those numbers in the URL when I log into Google+, click profile and they appear up there at the top in the browser.

1. kathleenkat profile image84
        kathleenkatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thats exactly what my Google+ link looks on HubPages AND Google+ (well, not exactly, as I am not you).

I think Google may have changed the way the addresses to profiles work. Perhaps that is your problem. Maybe you need to update the profile address.

2. Greekgeek profile image78
        Greekgeekposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Dale, like Glen and I said, that only works if you've got a newer Google plus account with numbers in its URL.

Those of us who have older Google profiles have our member URLs in an older format. We cannot enter any numbers, since they don't exist for our Google accounts.

When I paste my Google link into profile settings, I get an error message as per the screencap above, and Hubpages won't save it.

I signed up for Google+ before it even came out. I was one of those "Beta members."

I have numbers in my profile. I'd double check that if I were you.

This is one solution that is supposed to work for those that have the +Names active:

"For those with their +Names already active, the page may load with the name in the browser address bar, but the ID is still in the links present on the names as they display in the stream... you can right-click those names and "Copy Shortcut" to get the ID."

I can not see your stream to try the right click to see what comes up.

I just tried this on my feed on Google +.... one friend posted a comment, when I placed my cursor over the name (link) at the bottom left of my screen it displayed the number....when I clicked it went to his profile page that displays a vanity URL or name URL in the browser.

3. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
      pauldeedsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You should be able to use any of those profiles.google.com urls now, even though they aren't technically Google Plus urls.   We don't have one to test with, so I can't say for sure if it will solve the authorship problem or not.

Bueller?

Okay, I realize this is a new post, but this bug was first reported two months ago!

3. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Read from http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/103956? … ost2212183 on down. Success may be within your grasp... big_smile

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The first person with the older address to succeed, wins.

You know... Google, themselves, will obsolesce those older addresses eventually...

4. Greekgeek profile image78

*exhales with relief*

pauldeeds, thank you. It just went through. Settings accepted my Google link.

Sorry for the snippiness; I had a richter scale 9 migraine yesterday, and was starting to feel like the little dutch boy trying to plug multiple leaks... new ones kept springing up while I was still trying to fix the earlier ones.

(And yes, paradigmsearch, I'm aware of that, but will burn that bridge when I'm dragged to it. I'm not on Facebook, and I don't need Google shoving a substitute down my throat.)

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I just drive off them. Quicker that way. big_smile

2. livewithrichard profile image72
      livewithrichardposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Even though it has accepted your +Name (I went to your profile and verified that it does indeed go to your Google profile) it does not go to a Google Plus page which is ultimately what you want.  The old profile pages will do you no good in growing your online presence since there is no way for anyone to follow you.  I think it would be in your best interest, and the best interest of anyone using the old profile, to upgrade or create a new Google+ account.  A Google+ account is social where the old profile is static.

5. Greekgeek profile image78

Livewithrichard, believe me, after 21 years of using the internet for social communication and publishing, I understand the pros and cons of choosing to abstain from certain forms of social networking.

I have specific reasons for objecting to the Facebook/plus social model, and support alternatives that permit pen names and greater control over who has access to personal data.  Those alternatives existed prior to the ascendancy of Facebook. (Twitter is a good example of a web 2.0 version of that approach.)

I get followers and search traffic anyway. Useful content promotes itself.

I am not sure 21 years, or any amount of years, could assess the pros and cons of something that is a relatively recent concept.

Social networking isn't new, no, but Facebook is among the first to require the use of your real name. It think it would involve networks like this having a longer lifeline to really assess pros and cons to the same extent that we can assess alias-networks (like LiveJournal, MySpace, etc) and their effectiveness.

Also, a tangent here...What was it like on the internet prior to its commercialization in 1995? What did you use it for? Was it easier to get exposure, because there were less users? Or because there being less users, was it easier to get exposure as a writer in traditional means (books and mags)? I rarely come accross someone that really used the internet before '95, when stuff like AOL and email came out, so I do hope you answer my questions (though off topic). I don't remember much from back then, as I was born in 1990.

1. Dale Hyde profile image80

I was thinking along the same lines.  I did not start on the internet until 1995 or maybe even 1996.  Not sure what it was like 21 years ago being online.  My wife has shared some of the things that were prior to that, but it was not areas that one could become known for writing and such.  It was more for sharing files and things of that nature that she recalls.

1. livewithrichard profile image72

So much has changed... 1995 was when I too bought my first computer with a 486 processor and connected to the the internet with a 1200 bit/s modem through CompuServ...  Remember it would take almost 10 minutes or so for a picture to fully load.  Much prior to that, in the late 80's, I had friends that introduced me to the BBS.  It was very cool and nerdy, so being in the Army at the time is wasn't really talked about in general.  It was something saved for private moments... I guess I was a nerd bigot at the time.

1. Dale Hyde profile image80

I reckon I missed that. Was in an area that simply did not have access to such things during that time period of my life. But it does sound awesome. Do remember when I first got on, the free minutes CD that you would get through the mail from AOL, and the extremely slow time to load the pages back then and certainly any graphics...... and the "You Have Mail!", lol.  One good thing about those days and AOL, I met my wife in an AOL chat. smile

Greekgeekposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I has to use my printer's fax settings yesterday to send something to my Dad, and we both got a laugh out of the dialup tone that gave us flashbacks to an old 1200 baud modem. Bzzzt bzzzzt bzzztt ding a crunch ding... You could always tell if you were getting connected or not by those weird noises. smile

Here, a blast from the past (although this sounds like a 56k modem I think):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHW1ho8L7V8

1. prettydarkhorse profile image54
              prettydarkhorseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

smile On a different note, I started with Wordperfect, now Microsoft Word improved a lot !!

6. Greekgeek profile image78

Hmm. I wrote a "history of the internet" article to commemorate the web's 20th anniversary, but maybe I should write up a more personal essay on my memories of IRC, Vax, and what it was like trying to get a file to a friend in Virginia before the various regional and university internets coalesced into THE internet.

It was very, very different! After all, in those days, "nobody knew you were an emu." wink

Seriously, it's a good topic, and I could go on at length about it. Some of the changes have been fantastic; other times I long for the days when we were judged solely on content. Content was all that mattered, since money earning never entered our minds as a reason to post something. Too few people you knew were online to use it as a social tool for connecting up with anybody except other nerds who shared a particular interest, hobby, or academic project you were posting about. Nearly everything was driven by and related through subject matter, not personal information or social connections and interactions.

7. prettydarkhorse profile image54
    prettydarkhorseposted 11 years ago

This thread is important - I saw this one posted by sunforged at Facebook http://www.seomoz.org/blog/how-to-prepa … -on-google

1. livewithrichard profile image72

That is an awesome read and great insight into not only what is to come but a fantastic outline of how to make sure you are ahead of the game instead of always playing catch up.

Most interesting. What concerns me is that HP has lost the Google+ button on our hubs...yet this article states that this could be an important aspect.

Thanks for the most insightful link. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)