jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)

Once again the old socks are filling up the forums -

1. 2uesday profile image88
    2uesdayposted 4 years ago

why is it not possible to block them or do they change their ip as often as they change their id?

2. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

Seriously.  Is hubpages even trying to do something about this?  It would be nice to know.

3. Shadesbreath profile image89
    Shadesbreathposted 4 years ago

I suggested a long time ago forum access should not be allowed for anyone with less than 25 hubs of some specific quality (rank or zzz or whatever). There could be a newbie forum for questions but easily monitored so that if it wasn't a direct question about how to put a hub up or make something work, threads were deleted.

1. psycheskinner profile image80
      psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I would prefer that the first few post were moderated, of the sock were banned within minutes not hours or days.  if they need a volunteer sock banner they could make it a reporting category and I would be happy to check it out for them.

Real newbies are the ones that need the forums the most.

1. Shadesbreath profile image89
        Shadesbreathposted 4 years ago in reply to this

They could make a newbie section and the A's and the E's (and anyone else) could answer them. The rest of the stuff that is mainly troll fodder anyway could be restricted to people who put in enough time to write hubs.

You do have to admit, though, that it's pretty funny if you think about how many threads there are right now. It's like, damn, dude, get over it. Kinda sad, I guess, to have your whole emotional life tied up in one website when there are so many others, but, welcome to humanity I guess.

1. WriteAngled profile image90
          WriteAngledposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I think the troll must have OCD to go on like this, and probably a learning disability as well since he seems to believe no one will notice that it's him again.

2. profile image0
          Motown2Chitownposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Amen.

4. EmpressFelicity profile image84
    EmpressFelicityposted 4 years ago

My main complaint about the sock puppets on HP is that they're so darn BORING.

Am I warped or something?

5. 2uesday profile image88
    2uesdayposted 4 years ago

I think there is so much info in the Learning Center now that the real new hubbers are bound to be in need of help sometimes. One forum could be dedicated to newbie questions then anyone who had the time could offer them helpful advice.

The socks often seem to have an antagonistic attitude from the first post and they often have a lot of posts in a short space of time. Nothing else better to do with their time I guess and maybe a lack of attention in their childhood days.

6. WriteAngled profile image90
    WriteAngledposted 4 years ago

What concerns me is when the troll creates an ID here, on which he places the Facebook profile URL of a real person.

I have now noticed a third instance of this. There are two currently active.

How would you feel if your identity was stolen and used to troll a public forum?

Surely it would not be beyond HP's programming capacity to enable a FB profile to be entered only my someone logged in to that FB account at the time!

1. Shadesbreath profile image89
      Shadesbreathposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Wasn't aware of that part. IF they are doing that, that's a good suggestion. I imagine HP has people who could do that if all the apps people can.

1. WriteAngled profile image90
        WriteAngledposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I know for a fact that a previous profile falsely used a FB identity, because I contacted the person concerned through FB and received grateful thanks for the alert.

The two active profiles I have noticed today both have key features in common with that first (now removed) profile.

working