jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (9 posts)

KNOWN ISSUE: Video upload does not "see" videos

1. Robie Benve profile image93
    Robie Benveposted 4 years ago

I saved a video as .wmv format, and when I try to upload it it's not recognized as possible upload item. The video does not appear in the folder I'm looking at.

Then I went to see what format was an older video that worked few weeks ago, and it was the same .wmv, so it should work.

However, in the click frenzy trying to stop the spaghetti video that had started playing, I DELETED it from HP, and now when I try to reload it, the browser does not see it either!
    So my already published hub has no video showing because I have deleted the uploaded one, and of course the red skull of invalid link showed up.
    Shoot!
    Is it me or is it a technical glitch?

Robie Benveposted 4 years ago in reply to this

OK, I switched from Firefox to Explorer, and it worked.
      I was able to load both videos no problem. I'm good, but it still does not work on Firefox... fyi   : )

2. Matthew Meyer profile image77
      Matthew Meyerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing uploading and managing your videos.

WMV is one of the video formats we support, so that shouldn't be the issue.
      http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/videos-on-hubpages

Is the WMV file playable via Windows Media Player?
      How did you create the WMV? Is it a result of editing video and rendering or is it a direct offload from a camera or other device?

How large is the WMV in question?
      If it isn't too big, I might see if I can get it from you in order to do some more testing.

Hi Matthew, I knew WMV was a supported file because it was the one I had mistakenly deleted, (plus you can see it listed in the file types in browser window), but with Firefox the browser does not "see" those files, with Explorer it worked.
        To answer your questions:
        I created the videos on Windows Live Movie Maker, and they are 28.9 MB and 151 MB.
        Thanks

1. Matthew Meyer profile image77

@Robie

Thanks for the info.
          Can you email the smaller of the two WMV files to team@hubpages.com with a note in the subject that says something like "bug follow up attention matt m"?

That way I can do some testing using Firefox and the WMV to determine if there is a bug that needs to be sent to our engineering team.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image77

Thanks for sending the video.

I just successfully tested the video and uploaded it using Firefox 15.0.1 in Windows 7 32bit, but that was not using the Flash uploader.

When I tried the same upload using Flash, it behaves as you observed, by not showing me WMV files at first.

If you type *.* or *.wmv in the filename box, the file dialog should display the WMV file for you.

I still can't see it typing *.* or *.wmv, but I'm very relived that I got it up and loaded.
            Thanks  smile

1. Matthew Meyer profile image77

*.* should be showing you everything.
              Does *.WMV (capital rather than lower case) have any impact?

nope, I only see a couple of .AVI videos that I have in there

working