THE VIDEO ADVERTISING that's on our Video Hubs is UNNACCEPTABLE.

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (15 posts)
  1. GoodLady profile image91
    GoodLadyposted 11 years ago

Is HP aware of the streaming (show business) that goes on for so long in so many video hubs?  Are you doing something about it?  When?  It's ruining work I/we have done.

Check this hub out today for example http://goodlady.hubpages.com/video/Howt … oviescript

It could have righted itself by the time I publish this COMPLAINT, but when I went on that hub this morning there were minutes of streaming which one can NOT skip.  It's piracy.  Almost every video Hub I go to has this streaming!

I would like a reply to this.  I have complained in several forums.  Now I'm ranting furious.

I work hard to put a video together and it is WRONG that my video space is taken by something so awful as this show business streaming that goes on FOR MINUTES without the choice to get rid of it.

Anyone wanting to read my Hub will click off, or watch the show business show.  IS that why I'm publishing on Hub Pages?

Please reply.  Can you, HP justify this streaming (ad)?

(The added revenue? one gets from this is not an answer, or a reason or an excuse....What's the point in writing video hubs if readers/viewers can't see the video...revenue for what?   Is providing the video space to stream a show business ad platform what it is REALLY about?  Is there a bug?  Are we being hacked? ). 
    Fellow hubbers, please complain with me.  Thank you.  Bombard HP till they take the right action ASAP, please.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The only reason Hubpages offers the ability to upload videos is so they can advertise on them. Why else would they offer you a free video hosting/streaming service?

GoodLadyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Advertising is one thing, streaming crap for several minutes without the option to 'skip' is something else!  Have you had a look at any of the rubbish that's on our videos?

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
          Mark Knowlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I haven't seen that one, but I must admit it is unusual for a pre-roll to last for several minutes. But - I was logged in when I looked at your video.

1. LeanMan profile image79
            LeanManposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I find it a little worrying that the whole video is HIJACKED with no way for you to get out or see the video that you expected to see... This has happened on one of my hubs when I published it and I thought it was playing the wrong video not an advert!! 
            This is a joke - why would anyone stay on the page to watch an "advert" that just looks like a BS TV show when it is not obviously an advert! The first thing that the visitor will do is click away!! Very quick bounce, no additional views within the site and your video will look like crap to google!

HP this is VERY POOR!!!!!   YOU SHOULD DO SOMETHING!!!!

1. WriteAngled profile image74
              WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I immediately shut down any video that thrusts video adverts on me without giving me the ability to stop them.

I see this as a message that the author of the main video is more concerned with earning money than with providing me what I want. I consider this to be insulting in the extreme and have no desire to help the video author earn money in such an offensive way.

I would prefer to remain without the information than to be manipulated so obviously.

2. Judi Bee profile image91
          Judi Beeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've noticed this on a few videos I've seen recently - it's not the usual advert but a full-screen ad screening before the hub video starts without, as you say, any option to skip.  I was treated to a video on cancer services the other day - a worthy subject, but not something I wanted to be reminded about (ill family member), especially as I was expecting to watch a video about hockey.

2. Alastar Packer profile image72
      Alastar Packerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Never seen this before Goodlady and something isn't right with your original vids being completely overrode- especially like you say with no options. I don't know if this would work but you could try deleting one and re-uploading it to see if the advert still comes on.

GoodLadyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think HP needs to do something here!   Not us.  This is an across the board video nasty.

1. Alastar Packer profile image72
          Alastar Packerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No argument there GoodLady- hope it's taken care of promptly for you.

2. Janis Goad profile image73
    Janis Goadposted 11 years ago

These videos are very invasive, and do turn readers off.  I saw one on your scriptwritng hub this morning, Goodlady, and I really lost patience even though I knew I needed to watch the video in order to comment.  If I were a casual reader, I would bounce.

HP staff, we need a way to turn the videos off or skip them, like You Tube uses.  We are losing readers.

There are a few things about the HP videos I don't like--I also don't like the way we can't change the video or download once we have selected the video hub option.  It creates extra work to find a new title and re-do the hub if we make a mistake, or if we end up updating the video and wanting to change it.

I have decided to stop using the Hub Pages video format, and go back to using You Tube.

3. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

While this is happening I am planning to hide/check non-display on my videos.

4. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 11 years ago

I looked. Didn't see the one you seem to be talking about, but I was stuck in a 30 second Ebay ad that I couldn't jump off. If I really wanted to know about your topic as a searcher, I probably would have sat through that, but not a full minute, for sure.

Video ads seem pretty lame to me, even on YouTube. I skip them the second I can, and actually go out of my way to consciously NOT pay attention to them, sort of a "la la la la la la" in my head, staring only at the counter so I can click away the moment it comes up. Who actually watches that stuff? Although I admit I did watch the ad for the movie Battleship when that one came up one time, but I'm a sucker for alien war movies.

5. Rosie2010 profile image67
    Rosie2010posted 11 years ago

I just looked, no ads displaying now.

6. CyclingFitness profile image90
    CyclingFitnessposted 11 years ago

At least Youtube gives you the option to stop the ad after a number of seconds!

I've not posted video hubs as yet but having watched a large number of youtube videos they can be frustrating and make me think again about watching them.

Maybe i'm old school but the internet for me is in text.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)