jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (5 posts)

Am I in the right place....sort of?

1. 60
    bowlfanposted 4 years ago

When i have been wronged or a friend or relative has, or I otherwise feel strongly enough about something to sit down and write about it, I can be persuasive, entertaining, scary, comforting, and more in my piece.  Anything that I feel I have to defend or attack, or explain, or understand, and I'm off to the races.  I've posted to various forums on topics I am "into" like bowling and computers, and felt I learned something as well as shared my knowledge with others.

But when I was in Grammar School (a VERY long time ago), I remember getting an assignment to write an essay about ------about anything.  Anything????  OMG, I was paralyzed and didn't know where to start in selecting a topic and then elaborating for my reader (probably just the teacher).

And now....  here I am.... i've found this site, and it looks like it might be close to what I was looking for, which was/is:

A place where I could write as if it was just to make a point or share a view ----something I frequently do in the course of my work----and in addition, maybe earn some additional income in the process.  income for doing something I enjoy and don't even consider work sometimes....except for the time spent.

So I found the HubPages and am encouraged, but seriously overwhelmed, despite the various help  areas included at the site.

Getting published and/or making some money is all good, but I just want to start writing in the right way and in the right place, and then build on that.

Am I in the right area for that? 

PS:  If I rambled too much or was way off topic for this forum, I apologize.  Any feedback (even if it's nasty, but points me in the right direction) will be appreciated.

1. Dale Hyde profile image87
      Dale Hydeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The best way to go is to simply start writing and publishing articles. Use the information you find in the Learning Center and such. Look at the layout of other hubs (articles) and then go for it. That is how I started on HubPages.  Trial and error. smile  I have been writing quite some time on my own sites as well as other sites, but this is my first at publishing on a platform such as this.

Good luck and welcome to HubPages. smile

1. 60
        bowlfanposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hi Dale,

I'm still a little confused as to how the publishing part comes into play.  Maybe it's passive, and just happens (or not) without any action on my part?

Sounds like I would just write and post items like I would at any other forum, and if it takes on a life of it's own, great, and if not, just keep writing. Am I close?

(And obviously, I should take the time to read more of the information on this site about the publishing aspect.  I'm just trying to get overall idea at this point.)

Thank you,

1. Dale Hyde profile image87
          Dale Hydeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Once you finalize your hub and "publish" it, it has become published for the world to see. You can promote it in various ways and mentioned in various topics and help subjects on the site.  Sometimes, but rarely, it will simply take off.  As for a life of it's own, I have seen that happen with several of my hubs. The right people at the right time share them, or something is making the topic popular in searches and such.

Reading up is the best advice I can give.  Overall, once learned, with experience behind you of a few hubs, it becomes easy to publish material.  The harder part is coming up topics and words in the proper order to create a great hub. smile  I am still learning. I do believe the learning experience will only stop when this life cycle stops for me on this planet. smile

Coming up with topics is not hard if one just sort of pays attention to day to day happenings.  Most of my topics will be spur of the moment ideas as things take place around me in the course of a day.

The success of an author on HubPages is to write a lot of hubs.  The more you write, the more you will earn.  Also this will play an important aspect should you pursue Google Authorship and such.

1. 60
            bowlfanposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Okay, thank you.

I should probably start doing some reading and some writing and stop procrastinating.