Category-based subdomains

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)
  1. nightnight profile image62
    nightnightposted 11 years ago

Hi everyone I'm quite a new member to HubPages. So far I love it, there is a great community of writers and I feel that publishing a article is really easy and fun to do.

However I spent some time exploring the forum to see what a lot of Hubbers out there were saying and I came across the google problem all the time. Everyone is screaming out that they are losing traffic and therefore losing the will to keep publishing on Hubpages, and the only reason they want to stay is because of the great community of writers. Obviously I am generalising a little but thats the picture I got from a lot of forum surfing.... So what do I suggest?

Well from my personal opinion I feel that people wouldn't be as badly affected by all of these changes that google makes, and will continue to make for years to come if they published on niche websites related to specific topics. So my idea is based upon making hubpages special in terms of moving away from the content machine that search engines sometimes see these types of sites as.

My idea.... I think that if hubpages could create a whole portfolio of websites specific to a range of topics    and then publish our content on them we as writers would be better off because google wouldn't effect them as badly, and it would build a diversity to your collection as writers. So for example your history hubs will go to a website specifically for Hub writers writing history, and your social media hubs will go to a technology website owned by Hubpages. Basically a group of partnership websites.

This domain hubpages.com will still be the place where we create our content and use the forums and see how much we earn. The only difference is that hubpages will move our articles around helping us not have all of our 'eggs in the same basket'  and earn a better income by a higher chance of getting better traffic. This way we get the feeling of blogging for niche websites with the security of a large company.

I think that if companies like Hubpages and Helium don't make these kind of changes they will always be fighting to be on top of the search engines constantly changing their algorithms.

This is just an idea I had that I thought I should share. I literarily just came up with this so there could be some flaws.

Let me know what you think!?

All the best smile

nightnight

1. cryptid profile image95
      cryptidposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What you're suggesting is what Triond does.  I'd really hate to see HP follow that model.  To make the websites decent staff would have to spend some time maintaining them (which seems to happen at Triond on an extremely minimal level) or else the whole thing just reeks of spamzilla.  This would probably mean HP would have to hire more staff just to take care of the darn websites. 

Also, like at Triond, there is so much content constantly published your Hub would only show up on the site for a short period of time before newer Hubs pushed it off the page.  So you wouldn't get as much of a views bump as you'd think.  You'd still be relying on search for most of your traffic.

It's a nice idea, but I'm not sure it's so easy to implement the right way.  Probably better off making your own website with your niche articles.  smile

nightnightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sure I get what your saying. I'm sure Hubpages would have to get a few more tech guys on the scene to make sure that all of the websites would be running ok.

However I don't think it would be masses of staff, you could assign staff to certain categories and the volume of content is not changing. The only difficult bit is assigning hubs into categories.  Also I don't fully agree with the bump off page idea. This website still has your profile so people can find your content on here, and your hubs get buried here anyway? With specific websites there is less chance of getting buried I would have thought?

Regarding search engine traffic…. I would have thought that search engines would favour specific websites with high quality articles then just one major hub.

Again just my opinion but thanks for your feedback anyway wink

1. SOE profile image57
          SOEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We already have subdomains of our own and the ability to create multiple accounts. I really believe people can do that themselves already if they really wanted to. For example, I only write about games, and am going to eventually work on making one main index hub, that links to each game's set of guides, which links to more pages about that game, etc. Thereby essentially building my own website with a complete link hierarchy just out of my hubs.

If i suddenly wanted to make cooking hubs, I'd do that on a new account, completely separate from this one.

Problem solved.

I notice a lot of people just like writing on a wide range of topics under one account. That probably has something to do with the current effects, granted only in part, but worth taking into consideration.

2. nightnight profile image62
    nightnightposted 11 years ago

I think your right. i like writing on a range of topics, and I cant really be bothered to make lots of accounts for different topics. Maybe in the future this will be more appropriate.  Well it was just an idea.... thanks for the feedback. smile

3. derek gulbranson profile image78
    derek gulbransonposted 11 years ago

Hi nightnight. Thanks for the suggestion. Category-based subdomains is certainly something we've considered and continue to consider. Part of the problem with them is that the performance of content you publish to the category subdomains is susceptible to being adversely effected by poor content that someone else publishes to that subdomain as well. Until we get a better handle on how to automatically identify the general quality level of published content, we take the approach of user-based subdomains so that you will not be affected by your neighbor's poor content.

Another approach we've considered is are more hand-currated category-based domains for some key topics, but this involves and editor and a fair bit of manual effort.

(I hope you don't mind, I changed the heading for this discussion to better reflect what you're suggesting.)

nightnightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the information. No not to worry my title was quite drastic!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)