Confused about my hubscore

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (22 posts)
  1. coffeeandtv profile image60
    coffeeandtvposted 11 years ago

I wrote my first hub a week ago and i wasn't sure if it would do well. I checked back two days ago and saw the hubscore increased and my overall one did as well. However, today i noticed that my overall hubscore increased, but the hub i wrote went down a few points. Could someone help me understand this? I intend on writing more, but is 73 a good score to be starting out with? Thanks.

1. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

73 is fine to start out with. As you write more Hubs, most likely your score will rise. The Hubber Score (overall score) is determined by how your Hubs are doing in terms of traffic/votes and your participation in the community via commenting, forums, etc. Individual Hub scores are determined by traffic the Hub gets, votes it gets, etc. There's algorithms involved, I'm sure. Both scores tend to fluctuate. Starting off with a score of 73 is pretty good. The significance of the score has partly to do with whether they'll be indexed on search engines; you need a Hubber Score of 75 for that to happen and for an individual it needs to be at least 45.

Individual Hub's are also scored by quality of content too, I believe.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
          mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not so sure about that as they don't actually get 'read' by anyone to get the score, it is all done by an algorithm which can't actually judge quality of the content, only pick up on key features such as word count, images, quantity of amazon/ebay ads, traffic etc. To judge quality would mean an enormous team of staff reading every single hub on a regular basis and then awarding it a score. Simply not viable.

Yes, I wasn't too sure about that either. I thought I read it somewhere, but it doesn't really make sense and not viable; correct.

2. RichieMogwai profile image61
      RichieMogwaiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think if you just concentrate on writing a good hub which is free from grammatical and factual errors, unique and very interesting,  you will do fine.  Always remember, the Google search engine is easily  attracted to those qualities. When I was just starting out, I didn't even know what all those scores meant,  but I just kept on going.

2. Shishkabobie profile image60
    Shishkabobieposted 11 years ago

You personal score and your article score is different. You personal hubscore depends on how many people view you hub, how many hubs you view, basically how active you are in the community. While your article score depends on other things, such as how many people view the hub, how often it gets read etc. So over time they both vary!

Take a look at mine smile you may find something interesting ( I'm a newbie like you!)

3. ttocs profile image90
    ttocsposted 11 years ago

Hey there,
    My advice is to not worry too much about Author scores or hubscores, and only about your content.  If you keep writing, everything will go up eventually, and you can keep track of your progress by traffic rather than scores.

4. Gail Meyers profile image62
    Gail Meyersposted 11 years ago

I agree with what ttocs said.  I do not worry a whole lot about the hub scores as long as they do not fall too low.  I try to focus more on content.

5. coffeeandtv profile image60
    coffeeandtvposted 11 years ago

I guess it is better to not worry about the score like that. I just wanted to start out strong. Thanks for the advice, it was very helpful.

1. profile image0
      Casimiroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I doubt anyone comes out of the gate with one hub showing a high hubscore. 71 seems fine at this point. Anyway, I'm not sure what a high Hubscore does for you anyway. It's sort of a measure of your social credibility, but doesn't necessarily correlate with your writing ability.

I'm glad that here, unlike many other social sites for writers, there is not so much focus on these artificial numbers and how many followers, etc. you have. That stuff is really distracting.

1. peternehemia profile image59
        peternehemiaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you, Casimiro. The main point is the writing. But I read somewhere that Hubscore is important for SEO. It is said that after 75 or so, HubPages will allow the links to other Web pages to be counted as backlinks. But, again, such is also "artifical" is distracting. And so far I only wrote 2 hubs. Poor me!

I believe it is the Hubber's Author Score that needs to be over 75 in order for their links to be 'do follow', not the score of the individual hubs themselves.

Yes, Hubber Score (Author's Score) needs to be 75 and an individual Hub needs to be at least 45 to get the do follow and be indexed on Google/the Web.

and let's face it, a trained chimp can get a hub to have a score of over 45 pretty effortlessly wink

What a coincidence! I'm a trained chimp. Kidding. : )

LOL you deserve a banana for that one wink

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88

Definitely not a good idea to get hung up on Hub Scores, or even your personal Author Score (providing it is above 75). None of those figures matter to Google, and in fact they can't even 'see' them. These scores are just a tool HP use in order to get you to interact more in the community and churn out loads of content, whilst making sure it has adequate amounts of words, polls, pictures etc (basically whatever HP have decided at the time is their ideal criteria for the perfect hub, something that appears to change quite often!). I  have hubs that have a score of 100 some days, but drop to being in the 80's other days. I barely pay any attention any more. The only reason I have the slightest interest in my Author score is because others who don't know that it is meaningless may well judge me as not being a very good writer if my score drops below 90.

6. quicksand profile image81
    quicksandposted 11 years ago

If you are new to online writing, read as much as you can about SEO, mix it up with a lot of common sense and hit 'enter!' Do not bother too much about hub scores or trophies. Write as well as you can about stuff you know of.

Well, that's what I can say! Peace! smile

1. RichieMogwai profile image61
      RichieMogwaiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree, there's nothing like great writing to get the search engine spider crawling. Thanks, quicksand.

7. howtoguides2learn profile image58
    howtoguides2learnposted 11 years ago

Hubscores are mainly determined by number of visitors and your participation in the Hubpages community.  You have to optimize your hubs and tags for more visitors, but hopping hubs and participating in Questions and Forums help to improve your overall hubscore.  This is true for most of the online communities.

8. MomsTreasureChest profile image84
    MomsTreasureChestposted 11 years ago

It's definitely better to just concentrate on learning about HubPages, learning about search engines and keyword optimization, and writing good content.  The scores will follow!

Good luck with your writing on HubPages!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)