jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Take Seasonal Hubs out of Idle

1. livewithrichard profile image87
    livewithrichardposted 4 years ago

aa lite just posted a link to a video with Matt Cutts discussing what Google sees as "Freshness"  http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2217002

In the video Matt clearly states that little tweaks here and there are not going to factor into the "Freshness" quotient in the algorithm.  I have no problem with the idle feature itself as it makes sense that lower quality (low performing) content can affect the entire portfolio. 

My problem is with the hubs we have made that are seasonal.  Of course they are going to lose considerable traffic when not in season.  Really, who is going to be searching for Christmas recipes in the middle of summer?  These seasonal hubs should not be placed in idle sense it will affect their rankings when the season arrives again and searchers cannot find them.

I have found it very beneficial to make use of the "Groups" feature here on HP because it allows for a number of hubs to be identified as being related in a common theme.  Orphan hubs, if you write on a variety of topics, make your portfolio look like a mashup with no commonality and you lose out on any "Authority" quotient that may be in the search algorithm.

My suggestion is for HP to make an official Group just for seasonal hubs and shelter this group from idle status so they can gain the authority they need to survive against the competition.  Or when creating these seasonal hubs they can be given a "seasonal" attribute that shelters them.  The same sort of attribute that was given to the "Exclusive" hubs.  This special attribute will help those that use the Hub Hopper and help identify hubs that were falsely categorized.

I'm not suggesting that our product hubs be placed in this sheltered group, they need to stand on their own merit, but hubs that specifically connect with a certain holiday or season need to be allowed to keep their index in Google.

1. WryLilt profile image89
      WryLiltposted 4 years ago in reply to this

2. randomcreative profile image93
      randomcreativeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I've found that my most successful seasonal hubs continue to get regular traffic the entire year and are never in danger of becoming idle. If your seasonal hub stagnates enough to become idle, it most likely needs some revision anyway.

2. Len Cannon profile image89
    Len Cannonposted 4 years ago

Yeah, I kind of agree. I have some "seasonal" hubs that deserve to be idled regardless, but one of them has a really high conversion rate for amazon sales even if it only gets 600 hits over two months during Halloween. Kind of disappointed to have something that'd make me a one or two hundred dollars become idle right before the shopping season.

3. livewithrichard profile image87
    livewithrichardposted 4 years ago

I don't have many seasonal hubs but there are a couple that are idle right now.  One is specifically for Valentines day and rarely does it get traffic except for about the month or so before the actual day. 

@random  if you're getting year round traffic to your seasonal hubs that is great. Though I would agree with you on the rest of my idle hubs, that they are idle because they are just not up to par with the competition, seasonal hubs just don't get searched outside of hubpages in the off season, except by other content creators that want to steal your ideas.  They can steal them and even surpass you with less quality content if mine are idled. 

Just a reminder for anyone that looks in here, holiday and seasonal content should be published and ready for searchers at least 4 months in advance to get the highest exposure.

4. derek gulbranson profile image82
    derek gulbransonposted 4 years ago

Hi livewithrichard. Thanks for the suggestion.

We definitely are sensitive to the special needs of seasonal Hubs with regard to making them Idle for all the reason you mentioned. We want seasonal Hubs to thrive on HubPages. Most of the marginal or better seasonal Hubs will manage to meet the (exceedingly low) requirements for not going Idle, even out of season. But if not, you can always just give it a quick sprucing up, perhaps with some more timely information, just before your season starts.

In the end it comes down to this. We simply cannot offer any way to side-step Idle Hubs without opening a hole that all of our spammers will use to publish their Hubs, completely negating any benefit of the feature. Unfortunately we have to treat all Hubs identically.

Just to clarify, titles from the Exclusives feature receive no special treatment with regard to going Idle.

1. livewithrichard profile image87
      livewithrichardposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Derek.  I didn't mean to suggest that the Exclusives receive special treatment, I only wanted to point out that the word "Exclusive" shows under or next to a hub in my account which suggests to me that it has somehow been identified in HP's internal view.  I thought that it might me easy enough to put an attribute like that on seasonal hubs that would exclude them from going idle. 

No big deal for me really as I only have 1 remaining in idle which I will spruce up.  I was just voicing concerns that I hear from my friends here on the matter.