jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

Summaries missing from hubs

1. brakel2 profile image87
    brakel2posted 4 years ago

I asked this question in Q & A, and the hubber told me to report it. I have written two hubs since I changed to the new profile page. Neither hub has the summary. The indexing took a long time. When they finally appeared, both used sentences from the beginning of my hubs. When Google crawls the site, do they not find the summaries? The beginnings of my hubs would not not draw a reader to the site, especially in the first hub. That is what I think. Maybe this is part of the problem you are looking into for us.  Thank you.

1. IzzyM profile image84
      IzzyMposted 4 years ago in reply to this

This has been happening for a few months now.

Google doesn't seem to pluck the text from the summary anymore, choosing instead to take either the first lines or a sentence that include the keywords a searcher typed in.

I don't know if it is a problem or not.

1. GA Anderson profile image86
        GA Andersonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Can't believe I had not put this together before - IzzyM.

Your name and your avatar

- I have a cat named Izzy.

I going to check the spare laptop - it better be where I left it.

1. IzzyM profile image84

Your cat has a great name smile

2. Nesbyte profile image85
      Nesbyteposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I just searched for a couple of hubs on google and, sure enough, google has ignored the summaries and used the first couple of sentences. Which is a right pain. Is this a permanent thing or do I have to go and rewrite my hub introductions to optimise them for google?

1. IzzyM profile image84

For SEO purposes no, for attracting readership by searchers, maybe.

2. jacharless profile image82
    jacharlessposted 4 years ago

Happy 3 October.

Several changes have occurred in Google formatting for pages, which excludes traditional Meta tags, like Description [Summary], Keywords, Revisit, etc., being replaced with Structured Data, HTML Micro formatting via PageMap elements. This seems to have been done to update XML parameters for Displays, Rich Snippets [social sharing, previews] and RSS feeds.

If the Summary was used as Description, it now is depreciated and the 1st Paragraph content used. Tags and Keywords have also been depreciated, being replaced by pubdate, publisher/author, etc and use of data-vocabulary.org items (called Breadcrumbs). Example: Explore >> Home and Garden >> Planting Perennials.

Page Map v Meta Tags