jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Is this photo attribution enough?

1. sergs_pogi profile image61
    sergs_pogiposted 4 years ago

Hello fellow hubbers. I read the learning center recently about the proper attribution of photos owned by others. I tried my best to follow the instructions, but I want to be sure so I ask feedback from you. I'm doing this thing to leverage the power of pinterest to drive traffic to my hubs. Thanks for your response.

Anyway this is the article: Genuine PTC sites: How to Identify Them?

1. 0
      summerberrieposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes, they are cited correctly. One thing they liked for us to do in the Apprentice program is provide the URL link, too. Optional, but if you participate in any HP contest (there is one for this month on any hubs which include the ratings capsule) you would want to include the link as well on any of those hubs.

sergs_pogiposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks summerberrie for chiming in. I'll go edit this latest hub to include the URLs too.

1. 0
          summerberrieposted 4 years ago in reply to this

2. Greekgeek profile image97
    Greekgeekposted 4 years ago

The only problem is that if you're planning to pin that photo, then in the pin, legally, you'd have to make sure the pin's credit and link point to the source where you found the photo.... And then the pin would NOT point to your hub.

Also, what if someone else pins your hub? Most likely, they'd use the CC photo in the pin, but they'll probably credit and link the photo by pointing to your hub. At which point the Creative Commons license is broken, as is copyright.

Pinning isn't just placing a bookmark to a website. It's actually uploading a full-sized copy of the photo to Pinterest's servers. Some people then use Pinterest like a free graphics depot, embedding or taking images from Pinterest onto their blogs or websites and linking and crediting them back to Pinterest.

Creative Commons photos are copyrighted, but the copyright holder is giving a legal license for them to be used for free IF someone follows the terms of their license. The Creative Commons license requires that each copy of the CC photo is credited with a link back to its original owner.

So if you're specifically trying to use graphics to get your hubs pinned a lot, it might be better to find or create graphics that don't legally require credit and a link back to their original owner. That way you avoid Pinterest trampling all over the copyrights of photographers who are kind enough to let us use their images. (Personally, since I like to use Creative Commons images, I opted out of Pinterest and have a nopin code embedded on all my hubs, although I realize that's eliminating one possible source of traffic.)

sergs_pogiposted 4 years ago in reply to this

This is something hard to chew, but if this is really how it goes, I need to find new sources of free photos, such as Pixabay. However, Pixabay has very limited number of free photos, although it containes photos priced at $1 as well. Do you know any other site similar to Pixabay? Thanks.

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image90
    DzyMsLizzyposted 4 years ago

I have read a lot of bad reviews about "Pinterest's" copyright infringement issues, and I will not join or use the site and I, too, have disabled "pinning" from my hubs for that very reason.

I do take most of my own photos, but I still have not licensed them as CC works, so to protect my own work, I won't use "Pinterest."