jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Photo Copyrights

1. 0
    Writer Riderposted 7 years ago

I try my best to abide by the law. Can someone tell me about the use of photos. I think I read somewhere that you have to have permission if you are using photos from a website. This is just a clarification of the rules. Thanks.

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Do a search and you'll find this topic discussed several times on these forums.

Think of a photographer as you would a fellow writer - even if the writer hasn't written "copyright Joe Bloggs" at the end of their article, you wouldn't take the article and publish it as your own.  The safest and most honourable approach is to assume all photographs are copyright unless the photographer indicates otherwise. 

You can use Creative Commons-licensed photos from Flickr.com provided you include an acknowledgment of the photographer and a link to their photostream (do an Advanced Search and tick the boxes for "Creative Commons" and "for commercial use" to get photos you can use in this way).  Morguefile has photos you can use freely. 

Some people use Photobucket but I don't like it - it's just a place for people to make collections of photos they like from around the internet, with no acknowledgment of where they've come from or who owns them.  Use photos from there and you're almost certainly breaching the original copyright.

2. 0

I'm writing a hub on 2009 hairstyles but have yet to receive an email from the salons I emailed requesting permission to use their photos. That was last Thursday. I guess I'll just have to wait a little while longer-the artist side of me only wants to use their photos.

3. Amanda Severn profile image90
    Amanda Severnposted 7 years ago

I asked this same question about photos some while ago, and Shadesbreath very kindly pointed me in the direction of WikiCommons which I have been using almost exclusively ever since.

1. 0
      Writer Riderposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Amanda, copyrights can be annoying.

4. 0

Ok, I have this snazzy photo and I asked the photographer if I may use it. He replied if it's for private use I can use it without paying him anything but if it's for a business I have to pay 25 Euros. Are we considered part of a business if write hubs. I'll clarify it with the gentleman but I'd like to know what some of you think.

5. Misha profile image76
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

Since you have ads on your hubs, you are in business smile

6. 0

Yes, that answers it. Thanks Misha!