jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (17 posts)

Others you might like …

1. Reality Bytes profile image94
    Reality Bytesposted 4 years ago

Oh give me a break!!!

This was listed on my profile as Others you might like …

No content yet.

Welcome R. J. Lefebvre to HubPages

Look's like R. J. Lefebvre is still pretty new to HubPages. Now's your chance to be the first to greet them and welcome them to the amazing HubPages community. Follow them to let them know they have an audience for their work, or send Fan Mail and ask them to share more about themselves.

Says 13 hubs published but profile shows no content!

5 weeks since last activity, and my readers may enjoy this!

Reality Bytesposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Just figured out, all the hubs have probably been euthanized!  Do you think my viewers may enjoy this, really, REALLY!

If this is true I am overly confused.  If I have an idle hub, it will not show up on my profile, I am fine with that, I do however take offense that somehow another potential negative link has been placed on my profile, WITHOUT MY PERMISSION.  I do not mind the "Others you might like …", I am more than happy to share.  Most times these hubbers have scores in the high 90's, are well established and IMO probably are adding value to my profile.  This, though, is unacceptable!

2. Reality Bytes profile image94
    Reality Bytesposted 4 years ago

I am showing another hubber with one published hub, pretty low criteria!

3. 0
    summerberrieposted 4 years ago

Reality Bytes, this bothers me too. I followed one "others you might like" who joined two years ago had over 150 hubs, but only three showed up on her profile page. Two of those three were about pole dancing. Nothing against it, but do people reading my hubs on how to travel on a budget or making apple pies really appreciate me suggesting this hubber? And yes, it appears like I"M making the suggestion sad  Why have these additional links to our page?

I have had hubbers show up that I was proud to display on my profile. 

This is not only not adding value, based on what I have been reading, these links could be having negative results.  Why would HP allow this, should there not be some semblance of criteria before becoming visible as a reference?

I cannot post links of my own on my profile, but c'mon HP, PLEASE, GIVE ME A BREAK!  Do I really need to display other's idled hubs on my page?

1. 0
        summerberrieposted 4 years ago in reply to this

agreed.  i just edited my post to add; Why have these additional links to our page?

4. Writer Fox profile image79
    Writer Foxposted 4 years ago

Some of the missing Hubs might be zZzs, but some might be Hubs without zZz that were moved to other venues.

I just got a G+ Gmail about someone's Hub.  Went to check it out.  This new Hub was all of 225 words and was written by an Apprentice graduate.  Go figure.

5. kathleenkat profile image91
    kathleenkatposted 4 years ago

Perhaps the "others you might like" could be drawn from our followers and those whom we follow.

I would like this.  Great suggestion!

2. timorous profile image91
      timorousposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I suggested this in the original thread on the 'new profile' setup. Maybe the staff will have a second look at this, and upgrade the criteria, or drop the links altogether.

3. Millionaire Tips profile image89
      Millionaire Tipsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It IS based on mutual followers.  When I look at the "Others you may like" on my profile page, it tells me the # of mutual followers each of these other Hubbers have.

6. CyclingFitness profile image93
    CyclingFitnessposted 4 years ago

I suppose it also comes down to how many profile views you get a day? Is that a significant number in the grand scheme of things?

The hubbers i've seen have been fair to low in their quality but there are very few sport and fitness writers that I would truly recommend on hubpages (There may be many here but i'm yet to find them as yet)

7. Aficionada profile image93
    Aficionadaposted 4 years ago

I think that coming up with a workable algorithm for choosing "Others You Might Like" would have to be a major challenge. If the choice is limited to those who follow me and those whom I follow, there could still be some unwanted choices.  Think of the popular Hubbers who have over a thousand followers. Are the thousand-plus all equally worthy of being "Others You Might Like"?

And then, what about those excellent writers (there really are some) who have spent their time writing good Hubs, but who haven't gained a following yet, or who haven't begun following many others? I would love to see their work featured, rather than someone who has simply learned how to gain followers.

I don't know what details the current algorithm chooses, in order to match up "Others."  But I do know what I would use, if I were designing it myself. I would start with these:
    the categories the Hubbers have chosen to follow;
    the categories in which the Hubbers write;
    how their Hubs have been rated;
    possibly how the Hubbers interact with others (through forum posts? via comments on Hubs?).

I'm sure there are many other important factors, but these are the ones I would use first.

Or, instead of a blacklist, we could be allowed to choose our own "Others".

1. Aficionada profile image93
        Aficionadaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I can see that as a possibility. I think (think!) that what I would like best would be for us to be able to access the list of probable matches to put on our profiles. Then we could see if any unknowns are acceptable, and we could "block" or "boost" others on the list.

I'm not sure that that idea is workable, and I'm not sure that it's actually fair. But I hate to think that the better-known Hubbers could be squeezing out the less-known ones, simply for lack of knowing anything about them. If I were to stick only to the ones I know, I could miss some really good Hubbers, and so might my readers.  I like to think that HP is trying to build in ways to boost or create traffic for newer or less-known Hubbers. But I'm uncomfortable with having absolutely no say in the process.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image90
        DzyMsLizzyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

That is brilliant, Reality Bites,  and would be far preferable!

3. Judi Bee profile image87
        Judi Beeposted 4 years ago in reply to this